Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach 'Art of fugue' - edition with fingering?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 am 

I spent quite some time searching for a piano score edition of Bach's Kunst der Fuge that would contain fingering... without success. I am primarily interested in Contrapunctus I.

Is anybody aware of such an edition? Thanks in advance for any tip.

Post subject: Re: Bach 'Art of fugue' - edition with fingering?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:06 am 
Site Admin

yaccob wrote:
I spent quite some time searching for a piano score edition of Bach's Kunst der Fuge that would contain fingering... without success. I am primarily interested in Contrapunctus I.

Is anybody aware of such an edition? Thanks in advance for any tip.

I only have the Henle Urtext. Used to have Peters ed. Czerny edition but can't remember if that was fingered or not. I did not find it very good anyway.

While most of Henle's Bach Urtexts are fingered (and I find Hans-Martin Theopold's fingerings most always useful), this one isn't. Some passages in the KDF require careful fingering and hand distribution (as well as a large hand) and I've spend quite some time on working out fingerings here, though only for the passages that gave me problems. I could scan Contrapunctus I for you but as this is such 'unpianistic' music it may be better to ponder on the fingering yourself. What works for me would not necessarily work for someone else. Pinpointing where your problem spots are, and how best to fix them, is worth the effort.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 am 

techneut wrote:
I only have the Henle Urtext. Used to have Peters ed. Czerny edition but can't remember if that was fingered or not. I did not find it very good anyway.

While most of Henle's Bach Urtexts are fingered (and I find Hans-Martin Theopold's fingerings most always useful), this one isn't. Some passages in the KDF require careful fingering and hand distribution (as well as a large hand) and I've spend quite some time on working out fingerings here, though only for the passages that gave me problems. I could scan Contrapunctus I for you but as this is such 'unpianistic' music it may be better to ponder on the fingering yourself. What works for me would not necessarily work for someone else. Pinpointing where your problem spots are, and how best to fix them, is worth the effort.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Indeed, the Henle edition, which I am considering buying, doesnt have fingering suggestions. I posted the same question at the pianoworld forum (http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre ... 26325/Bach) and as to the Peters edition, it was described as "the worst of both worlds: No fingerings, but distracting dynamics and cres/decres markings that Bach didn't write".

I fully agree with you that the fingering is a subjective matter that everybody needs to work out for himself (i quite often ignore suggested fingering because i find a way that is more comfortable for me), but if you could indeed help me with the scan of your contrapunctus I fingering, it would be a great starting point for me. Thousand thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Ok here goes, I hope this is useful. Actually there isn't all that much fingering here as this one is relatively uncomplicated. I added much more in nrs 5, 6, and 7 for example.

Attachments:
cp1-1.jpg [829.04 KiB]
Downloaded 280 times
cp1-3.jpg [865.64 KiB]
Downloaded 280 times

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:28 am 

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:05 pm 

FYI,

IMSLP has a Russian edition with fingerings: http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/e/eb/IMSLP35218-PMLP05843-Bach_-_Art_of_Fugue.pdf

Scott