Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Rhapsody in Db
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:41 am 
Here is a Rhapsody in Db I just finished today. It took me about two or three weeks to write on and off.
I'll be updating the score in a bit with some dynamics noting but this is pretty much it.

I'll post an mp3 of me playing it in the near future. In the meantime, Enjoy!

Edit: I updated the score with pedal markings and a few minor notation errors.

Edit: I renamed the file consistent with the rest of the work which is to follow as each piece is completed.

Edit: I found a better pdf printer that makes a much smaller download

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Looks appealing on paper, I'm curious how it will sound.
In the "A tempo" section, surely you are not serious about keeping the pedal down for each entire bar ??? That will sound a mess with all the scales and chromatics going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:43 am 

I just placed my notebook upon the piano and tried to play through the first two pages slowly. Yes, it sounds well to me, and also my respect for everyone who composes.

I am looking forward to your take on that!

With what software do you create the score? Would it work to put a notebook on the piano, play a phrase and entering the notes directly, or do you prefer writing it down by hand first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:11 pm 
In the "A tempo" section, surely you are not serious about keeping the pedal down for each entire bar ??? That will sound a mess with all the scales and chromatics going on.

Yeah, like I said, I have to get the dynamics and stuff like that worked out. The notes are correct to my satisfaction. I just posted the rough draft for y'all. I'll let you know when I update the score. I do the dynamics and pedal action (this one is basically twice a bar) after the piece is complete since I already know what they should be and it distracts me to put it in while I am grinding the piece out. Sorry about the transcription error. It will be fixed in the update in a few days.

With what software do you create the score? Would it work to put a notebook on the piano, play a phrase and entering the notes directly, or do you prefer writing it down by hand first?

I am using Sibelius. The PDF is made using WinPDF and it messes up some of the fonts though. Either way, I like Sibelius alot.

As far as composing goes, everything I do is written down by hand first. It is the only way to do it, in my opinion. This digital score was worked on after I had most of the composing done. I prefer to use a blank music sheet and a pencil for my composing. My music area is a mess with piles of hand written scores lol. For example, here is a scan of something I am working on to give you and idea of what I do before I put it into Sibelius (this part didn't make it into this piece since I decided to use it for something later in the work, the first part you will recognize as bars 45 thru 47 ):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:22 pm 

good work. I am printing this score out and will work on it for sometime. and be stayed intune.
I will email you first before I submit my interpretation on your Rhapsody.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:07 am 
Here is the second part of the work, the Prelude for the third piece (a Nocturne and Fantasy) which will be posted in the near future. I have already submitted this in a previous thread but the file is named in accordance with the work. It has also been reformatted to fit onto two ages as well as a few fixed transcription errors.

I will post all future updates and recordings to the work in this thread as they are completed.

In the meantime, enjoy!

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:02 am 

In case you havent found it yet, there is a way in Sibelius to get the dynamic markings to appear as they do in most music (the stylized pp, mp, etc instead of writing it out every time). I believe its under symbol dynamics or something like that. Can't wait to hear a recording!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:47 pm 
there is a way in Sibelius to get the dynamic markings to appear as they do in most music

Yeah. The problem is that WinPDF was changing the font on me. I found a better pdf printer and this one preseves the font correctoly. I updated the pdf (they are also much smaller in size).

Here is a link for the PDF printer I found which works great, BullZipPDFPrinter at http://www.bullzip.com//products/pdf/info.php . It's freeware and requires GPL Ghostscript 8.x also be installed. It works great for Sibelius.