Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: livilihood
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:50 am 

[url]God is my life.[/url]

Thankfully I get to use my job for that very purpose. My background is non-denominational, but I am now working in a Pentacostal College. I try not to let doctrinal differences be a prejudice at work and I think I'm pretty good with that. What church are you part of Lukecash?

[url]I went to one church and instead of opening in prayer, they opened with a Haydn concerto (Concerto 11 in D for those interested - yes, the whole thing!)[/url]

That must be something to see. What church are you part of organtechnic23?

[url]We have this antique german piano that was my grandad's during world war ii.[/url]

I'd like to see the picture, tonks001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 pm 

Quote:
That must be something to see. What church are you part of organtechnic23?

I work part-time at a Presbyterian church. They've been super helpful in getting me interested in music and encouraging me to continue studying organ literature in particular. Though the church where they opened with a concerto was a Lutheran church. I was stopping by because their choir was performing a Bach cantata and I guess they felt like opening with Haydn that day! :o No complaints here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 am 

It's a hobby for me. I have made a little bit of money playing in the past, and occasionally will get a party or function that pays. But not really big bucks probably just barely covers what I've spent on instruments, and music, over the years. I'm retired from an Army Reserve Band where I played piano for the stage band and small jazz ensemble, and trombone for Marching and Concert bands. Now I sub on organ and piano at church once in a while, and will occasionally play at a nursing home, or senior, center, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:22 pm 

livehood.

I perform in the USA and teach piano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:59 pm 

I've been fortunate to have had a lifelong love affair with music, but never made the piano my career, which was actually in business and management. Piano has always been my favorite hobby though. Now that I'm retired, I spend considerable time on my recording projects and enjoy every moment of it!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm 

Piano is not my career, nor my hobby, it is my medication that I have to take in order to thrive in the real world :D

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Post subject: Re: Is the Piano your hobby or livlihood?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 am 

avguste: I noticed you teach on skype. How has that worked for you? I've been interested in getting started with that, but have not really looked into skype enough to figure out how it works. Also, do you get students from all over, like even far away countries?
Any help would be great.
At times, I feel somewhat bound to the piano when I am working, but it is the very thing I wind down with even if I've worked on it, or taught it all day. Maybe there's a sense of accomplishment from the stresses of teaching and a sigh of relief that I don't have to struggle as the beginning students do. I think in my new job, it will be lovely to let the fingers do the talking all day instead of trying to come up with the right words to teach it.
:) Thought there is a certain satisfaction in teaching, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm 

Skype teaching is not common.
To be honest, as of now, I dont have any Skype students. Very busy with teaching in the school, concerts and recordings, so havent really advertised
Skype yet.
Generally speaking, Skype is not for everyone. It is generally for advanced and professional type level pianists.
I do have plans on further advertising Skype in North America and France, but it will take time

What do you teach?Where do you teach?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:34 am 

avguste wrote:
Skype teaching is not common.
To be honest, as of now, I dont have any Skype students. Very busy with teaching in the school, concerts and recordings, so havent really advertised
Skype yet.
Generally speaking, Skype is not for everyone. It is generally for advanced and professional type level pianists.
I do have plans on further advertising Skype in North America and France, but it will take time

What do you teach?Where do you teach?

I teach piano/accompany the choir at a Pentecostal Bible college (the religion ideas are hard to get used to). I have 6 students there. I teach some private (not staff) lessons at the State University in town. I also teach at my home. I also accompany the Suzuki program at the University. I also have a new position I will start in the fall as accompanist for a junior high and high school that are really close together, so it is walking distance. I'm looking forward to the new position, but will have to unfortunately end my teaching at the college. I haven't decided about Suzuki yet. I have to see where the schedule takes me.
I'm very excited that I'll get the benefits with this job as well as pay. This includes retirement, life insurance, dental and medical. In other words, my first really professional job.
I should look into skype teaching anyway. Could be another outlet. I have it downloaded just so I could see what it was like.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:39 am 

Also, I meant to ask on that last post, but forgot.

I have a student interested in Jazz. I was wondering if you could give me the early composers that had the most influence on jazz. And, I know this is a classical forum, but maybe someone could give me tips on teaching jazz. I'm classically trained, so I will have to learn a lot of it as I go.

The reason for this post is that I still think he needs to play the classical stuff, but I thought I could gear it towards jazz to make it interesting for him.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:26 pm 

You know a good place to start might be to find easier arrangements of jazz melodies (with a bit of a classical influence.)

I know George Shearing for example has written many nice arrangements with a classical influence. There are also many others and if you like a can PM you my favorites. I have a few books that use all the standard jazz voicings and embellishments that are also really easy to play and I think good for sight reading practice for example.

Strictly speaking a big part of jazz instruction is learning to play without notes and adapting you're playing style to the environment. That is, as a jazz pianist you might expect to play with or without a bass player, with or without a soloist and or other rhythmic instruments. I know some jazz pianists don't start out playing jazz by reading music but some of course do. I suspect most classically trained pianists would feel comfortable starting with a score in hand.

Also playing without a score is not something we learn over night I think (not that I am the expert here.) Its really a different way of looking at practicing and playing the piano (which requires a lot of discipline.)

fluterific00 wrote:
Also, I meant to ask on that last post, but forgot.

I have a student interested in Jazz. I was wondering if you could give me the early composers that had the most influence on jazz. And, I know this is a classical forum, but maybe someone could give me tips on teaching jazz. I'm classically trained, so I will have to learn a lot of it as I go.

The reason for this post is that I still think he needs to play the classical stuff, but I thought I could gear it towards jazz to make it interesting for him.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 pm 

At this point in my life music is a hobby for me. I have played a few professional jobs, Subbing at churches, playing in an Army Reserve band for 15 years, Playing with a big band (didn't pay much when you have to split it 18 ways), and playing an occasional dinner music, cocktail party type gig, etc. I've never tried to actually make a living at it. I do have a government job that will allow me to retire in 5 years at the age of 55 and at that time I will be looking to supplement my retirement income with a regular Church music job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 pm 

I suppose piano is my livelihood, I say that because I want it to be when I get older. I'm 14 :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Jacobgoblin wrote:
For me I think it's an excellent hobby.

I also think it's an excellent course of study... an excellent skill... an excellent party trick... an excellent career... an excellent pathway to expand the mind... an excellent exercise for coordination and dexterity... an excellent artistic pursuit... an excellent emotional outlet... an excellent obsession for the rest of one's life...

Yes, all of that and more. Though, excellent career I'm not so sure about, unless you are extremely good.

But, may I ask, what's with the signature ? You want to promote something ? Not quite the place for that here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 pm 

I have had a lifelong love-affair with music, was a soloist in my school-choir and played enthusiastically the Recorder,
made-up my own little tunes on my Recorder and I have collected a few thousand classical records over the years.

Every morning I make sure I have a chance to listen to a record whilst having my breakfast and it is very inspiring.

I always wanted to learn to play the Piano, but first there was no space, then there was no money
and later I did not come across an instrument that appealed to me.

But a few years ago I heard by chance a Square-Piano being played at a sale-exhibition and it was love at first tone.
That was it for me, I had found my instrument.

I then started to learn how to play the Square-Piano from scratch and I started learning seriously how to read music and how to tune my instrument.
It has become to be my favourite hobby and I love every minute of it.