Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Not fed up with organ yet ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

For those who are not sick and tired yet of organ stuff, here are some recorded today. Only the first one is new, the other two are re-recordings that IMO improve on the existing versions. The BWV 686 is recorded in my regular church and is not disfigured by that outlandish booming reverb (still a couple of nasty flubs though, need to re-record this yet another time).

Bach - Orgelbüchlein - BWV 610 - Jesu, meine Freude

Bach - Orgelbüchlein - BWV 601 - Herr Christ, der ein'ge Gottessohn

Bach - Clavier Übung III - Chorale Prelude BWV 686 - Aus tiefer Noth schrei' ich zu dir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:02 pm 

Anyhow I knew you go for the "Jesu, meine Freude", after we spoke about that piece in pmails. I only hoped to be faster here for submission, and if the church is not used next days I will record it too.

BWV610: I like your registration, and also your melody articulation, especially in the 2nd part. You play it slow, and I feel more the eigth note groove in your playing as a quarter note groove. It is largo, but the (of course slow) groove should be on quarters, I think.
According to my Bärenreiter Urtext score you play some things differently. There are some ornaments not written in my score, in bar 4 after the fermata you play the right hand e sharp an eight too late, so that it sounds strange with the pedal notes together. In the bar before the repetition right hand there is a binding in my score at the end of the bar to connect 2 f's , you play an e sharp or whatever instead? Last bar in the middle, there sounds also something strange, but I cannot resolve it. Sounds too as if you slow down a bit in the second part.
Otherwise very well done. I think it is a difficult piece (at least for me because hands and feets do cross directions of the notes all the time).

BWV601: sounds wonderful to me! The melody comes out very well, and that although all hands and feets have much to do! Since I did not play it until now, and because of the fast speed I am not able to say anything useful regarding correct notes. But I trust you :D

BWV686: Tasteful registration, and together with the tempo it fits the mood very well in my opinion. Some minor slips maybe, but what's important, you play with the demanded calmness. Impressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
Anyhow I knew you go for the "Jesu, meine Freude", after we spoke about that piece in pmails. I only hoped to be faster here for submission, and if the church is not used next days I will record it too.

Well it does not really matter who gets his track in first, does it ? I guess in the end we'll be the only site in the world with two complete Orgelbuchlein performances :D

MindenBlues wrote:
BWV610: I like your registration, and also your melody articulation, especially in the 2nd part. You play it slow, and I feel more the eigth note groove in your playing as a quarter note groove. It is largo, but the (of course slow) groove should be on quarters, I think.
According to my Bärenreiter Urtext score you play some things differently. There are some ornaments not written in my score, in bar 4 after the fermata you play the right hand e sharp an eight too late, so that it sounds strange with the pedal notes together. In the bar before the repetition right hand there is a binding in my score at the end of the bar to connect 2 f's , you play an e sharp or whatever instead? Last bar in the middle, there sounds also something strange, but I cannot resolve it. Sounds too as if you slow down a bit in the second part.

Yes I had intended it a bit faster, but it wouldn't come yet. The ornaments are in brackets in the Wiener Urtext Edtion, maybe they're not original but they sound good. In bar 4 I play exactly as written (have checked with the score) but you are right about these tied f's, somehow I did not notice my error here. That last bar indeed has a slip, it took me a looong time to get that bloody bar sorted out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:31 am 

techneut wrote:
Well it does not really matter who gets his track in first, does it ? I guess in the end we'll be the only site in the world with two complete Orgelbuchlein performances

I don't see a complete Orgelbuchlein take for myself at least in near future, I am simply too slow at learning. But I am worried about what you will do if you have ALL Bach recorded anytime and there is no more Bach to discover... :lol:

techneut wrote:
In bar 4 I play exactly as written (have checked with the score) but you are right about these tied f's, somehow I did not notice my error here.

According bar 4 you play differently to my Bärenreiter score and also the sheetmusicarchive but I admit I can as well be completely wrong on that. I mean the following notes (unfortunately one cannot attach a jpg in a pmail, so I need to do it here):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:48 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
I don't see a complete Orgelbuchlein take for myself at least in near future, I am simply too slow at learning. But I am worried about what you will do if you have ALL Bach recorded anytime and there is no more Bach to discover... :lol:

Hahahaaaa... A complete Bach, I had not considered that yet. May take a couple of years :wink: Yeah what after that... probably start all over again and do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

I liked the bass notes in the 1st piece (Jesus my friend?). Is that from the pedals? You play this piece well.
(But you're making me feel guilty because I didn't go to church, again, yesterday.)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yes the bass line is on the pedal. It has that funny persistent rhythm, pa-dam-pa-dam-pam-pam, which I tried to bring out. Olaf is working on this too and will probably do a better and clearer job.
The title means 'Jesus my joy' and it seems you miss church too much :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Absolutely not tired of it and you are doing a great job. I especially liked the "Herr Christ, der ein'ge Gottessohn" which you play with comfort. Sounds very relaxed and like you have a smile on your face.

"Jesu, meine Freude" was a new experience for me...I think...and you play it very well too. I cannot come up with anything to complain about.

The "Aus tiefer Noth schrei' ich zu dir" of Clavier Übung III is a powerful, yet melancolique work with a sense of drama and you make it justice all the way through.

Also, the sound feels very appealing. Made some experimenting with the location of the Edirol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Absolutely not tired of it and you are doing a great job. I especially liked the "Herr Christ, der ein'ge Gottessohn" which you play with comfort. Sounds very relaxed and like you have a smile on your face.

Muist have been a grim smile then.... I was getting pretty desperate with that little bastard. It's still not quite how I'd like it, but time to move on. But this cycle is like the WTC, one keeps getting back to it and it never tires.

robert wrote:
Also, the sound feels very appealing. Made some experimenting with the location of the Edirol?

Nope, same old setup, plus the usual reverb :wink: Maybe the playing is getting a bit more transparent finally.