Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Piazzolla
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi George,
I already know the name of the piece; the problem is finding it in print. Oh well....But just a moment ago I opened my Piazzolla books again and read through a piece that is pretty amazing. Actually, it's very sad - I think Piazzolla must have had a broken heart when he wrote it because it's one of the saddest pieces I've ever heard. I definitely want to learn it.

p.s. get a video camera ready for that Tango party!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:16 am 

Quote:
... just a moment ago I opened my Piazzolla books again and read through a piece that is pretty amazing. Actually, it's very sad - I think Piazzolla must have had a broken heart when he wrote it because it's one of the saddest pieces I've ever heard. I definitely want to learn it.
The irony of sadness is that it can be sweet... George

That's how I would describe nostalgia. I've often wondered why some of us find a therapeutic understanding in the voice of melancholy. It has nothing to do with unhappiness or solitude, but everything to do with inner peace found in nostalgia. I think it presents a frame of mind, that is based on compassion, understanding, and appreciation for a place, person, or time. It is an odyssey, search, or longing towards the feeling of "Home" and "Peace." The element of nostalgia in music represents a powerful message to convey, and if performed with deep understanding and communication, it has a captivating and hypnotic effect on the listener that could last for days. At least for me it does...

Now you have me in suspense over this piece... You are probably busy with other projects, but I sense it will be worth the wait to have you play it for us when you get a chance...

The other irony is that over the weekend, while I was searching for a piece to learn that didn't involve F-natural, (I am still waiting for my F-n agraffe to be fixed), I also discovered a very sad and nostalgic piece by a new composer for PS. Hopefully I can record it very soon...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:42 am 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
The other irony is that over the weekend, while I was searching for a piece to learn that didn't involve F-natural, (I am still waiting for my F-n agraffe to be fixed), I also discovered a very sad and nostalgic piece by a new composer for PS. Hopefully I can record it very soon...

You better get working on the bio, George ! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:40 am 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
The irony of sadness is that it can be sweet... George

Good one, George! That's a great sentiment - I like it a lot.

And while I agree with how you correlate melancholy and nostalgia, when I feel sadness while playing certain pieces it is because I am actually thinking about a particular person - one who is alive and whom I wish I could see and be with but cannot. For me, that is safer and less sad than the alternative, but it's still sad enough to tug on my heartstrings, which then makes me get into the music and fantasize like crazy (which I can't help doing). But that also makes it so that I don't learn the piece that quickly because I forget what I just played since my mind was wandering and so I have to actually practice it longer before I get it down. Not sure all that makes sense. :oops: Basically, all it means is that it will be a few days before I can learn the Piazzolla piece well enough to record. :wink:

However, you now have my interest piqued regarding the piece/composer you have discovered. Can you give us a little hint? I love guessing games. If not, then okay I guess we'll have to wait for your recording (so please hurry up :) ).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:23 pm 

Quote:
...when I feel sadness while playing certain pieces it is because I am actually thinking about a particular person - one who is alive and whom I wish I could see and be with but cannot. For me, that is safer and less sad than the alternative, but it's still sad enough to tug on my heartstrings, which then makes me get into the music and fantasize like crazy (which I can't help doing). But that also makes it so that I don't learn the piece that quickly because I forget what I just played since my mind was wandering and so I have to actually practice it longer before I get it down. Not sure all that makes sense.
It makes more sense than you might think... :wink: Therein lies the mysterious power of music. It's not uncommon to also relate to someone in musical terms. In other words, an individual can be an inspiration to conjure up the image of a particular piece of music. Perhaps, it's a trait that we musicians share? I've often wondered about that. I think it can apply in either direction: The music can inspire the person; Or the person can inspire the music. Music is the language of emotion, and you're right, it's very easy for emotions to get the better of us, even to the point of inhibiting the ability to play any longer and everything seems to come to a halt. Ah, music is the most wonderful, elusive, and unexplored frontier yet. You never know what's going to happen when you're at the piano. Sure beats "Movies on Demand," We'll call it "Music On Demand?" Indeed, the piano can be a vehicle liberating us from the blasé world we all live in and take us on a journey of our fancy every time we play...

Speaking of play... It's GAME TIME on PS! The category is "Name That Composer?" - This 19th century composer was born on an island nation. He first studied piano from his father, then with Louis Moreau Gottschalk, and then went to study at the Paris Conservatory. Who is the composer of the nostalgic, melancholic, sad, but sweet piece?...

I couldn't get this piece out of my head. I was sight reading the sheets of music even during my lunch hour this week. I can't explain with words why I am so enamored with this little piece. But, I'll let the recording be my voice and pen. I couldn't wait another 2 weeks to have the piano tuned, so I recorded the piece late last night. Fortunately, my piano doesn't go out of tune by much. I will refrain from posting the recording until after our little game on PS. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:41 am 
Site Admin

Oh George - I knew you were a fun guy! I have much to say, but I'm so very tired and can't keep my eyes open for one more minute. I'll respond to everything on the forum tomorrow. But for now I just want to put in my guess as to the 'mystery composer'. Is it Ignacio Cervantes?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

...continuing from last night....

88man wrote:
Indeed, the piano can be a vehicle liberating us from the blasé world we all live in and take us on a journey of our fancy every time we play...

I like that! And yes, my mind can wander when I play piano - however, I have to first know the notes pretty well. When I start a new piece, I don't 'wander' because I'm concentrating on working everything out. But when I'm able to play straight through, that's when the fantasizing kicks in. I suppose that makes sense. Is it like that with you? I wonder if other members here have wandering minds when they play, or do they just stay focused on playing the music all the time?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 am 

:shock: :lol: (Sirens going off)... You have just hit the Daily Double!!!! (More sirens): Ignacio Cervantes is correct! :D 8)

Quote:
I'm so very tired and can't keep my eyes open for one more minute.
And yet, you came up with the name of a less known composer in such a frame of mind?! Wow Monica! You're amazing! Don't tell me you're in the "Amazing Business" too like Mr. Pacino? :) Thanks for livening me up to an otherwise bad day.

Quote:
And yes, my mind can wander when I play piano - however, I have to first know the notes pretty well. When I start a new piece, I don't 'wander' because I'm concentrating on working everything out. But when I'm able to play straight through, that's when the fantasizing kicks in. I suppose that makes sense. Is it like that with you?
It's like that with me when I improvise at the piano. If I wander, it's always toward a particular musical direction. I still have manuscripts from junior high and high school. In the last several years, I've been recording free improvisations since I no longer have any time to write ideas down. Recording improvisations at the piano has become my musical diary - all my thoughts, creativity, inspirations, aspirations are reflected in these little pieces... Someday when I retire, (hopefully sooner than later in life) I'd like to go back in time and "complete" them by turning them into compositions. On a rare occasion, I'll peak at these manuscripts, and their memories and inspirations seem to come alive again, as if it was just yesterday... See now, I wandering and fantasizing again..... :wink:

Now that you have solved the mystery composer, I'll post it soon. If it's deemed worthy, I will gladly post a bio shortly thereafter...

Oh, and thanks for coming out to play. I just may tickle you to play another game again on PS... :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
In the last several years, I've been recording free improvisations since I no longer have any time to write ideas down. Recording improvisations at the piano has become my musical diary - all my thoughts, creativity, inspirations, aspirations are reflected in these little pieces... Someday when I retire, (hopefully sooner than later in life) I'd like to go back in time and "complete" them by turning them into compositions. On a rare occasion, I'll peak at these manuscripts, and their memories and inspirations seem to come alive again, as if it was just yesterday...

A musical diary - that's interesting. I can't do that. I'm not creative enough. I can insert a personal feeling or emotion into an already written piece of music, but I can't actually make up a piece of music that fits my emotions. Unless pounding on the keyboard to match my frustrations could be considered a composition or improvisation? :lol:

88man wrote:
Now that you have solved the mystery composer, I'll post it soon. If it's deemed worthy, I will gladly post a bio shortly thereafter...

Ok good - I'm very curious to hear the piece!

88man wrote:
Oh, and thanks for coming out to play. I just may tickle you to play another game again on PS... :P

I love games! But please don't touch my sides and knees! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 am 
Site Admin

88man wrote:

That be nice. But this was really trivial... The very first Google match on "gottschalk pupil" gave it away.

BTW, I did not read Cervantes took lessons from his father. More interestingly, he studied with Alkan in Paris. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Oh, George.....I'm waiting.... :P :)

edit:
never mind. :wink: