Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: How about this for a piano?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 pm 

I was looking for the Pierce Piano Atlas and found this on its main page. This is one sexy piano.

Attachments:
howoldup_28.jpg
howoldup_28.jpg [ 18.53 KiB | Viewed 4601 times ]

Post subject: Re: How about this for a piano?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:18 am 

Good grief. I must say I'd be very distracted if I were to have to play on that thing.

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:31 pm 

Ummmmm...no thanks. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm 

And it goes from 0 - 120 mph in 3 seconds flat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:
And it goes from 0 - 120 mph in 3 seconds flat.

I was just going to say that this looks like something you could drive! I think that men in general go for that kind of design.

My current favorite piano is the one below: I like that it's decorative, yet still has nice, clean lines. Plus it's a Chopin piano! If I had this piano in my home and surrounded myself with candlelight while I played, then I think I would have died and gone to heaven.

Although, I recently saw a photo of another piano that was quite a bit more decorative than this one, but it was very pretty - I just can't find it now, though.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 am 

Scott, I think it may even hit Warp 2! It looks like Schimmel designed this one under wind tunnel testing. It could easily pass as a hydrofoil. The only thing missing is a seat harness to make it legal. You know, Schimmel is set up in a way that they could become the largest piano manufacturer - they have size, reasonable quality, and distribution potential if they wanted it. But, they're not playing their cards right with the oriental competition. Their 8'4" is a gem of a piano that is or was priced just right about 8 years ago. It's one of those rare instruments that seem to sound good all the time, regardless of weather...

Quote:
If I had this piano in my home and surrounded myself with candlelight while I played, then I think I would have died and gone to heaven.
Hi Monica, I am adding the Chopin Piano to your Bucket List as item #2. 8 more to go. It might be funny to post a thread for a "Bucket List" of pianos, pieces, goals, etc... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, a bucket list - that's a good idea! :)

My sister has a Schimmel - a big one - not sure of the exact size, I'm guessing over 7 feet. It does sound very nice and the touch is much different than my piano. Hers is lighter. I could probably trill better on it.

And George, I found your new Steinway D. :wink: I actually played this piano when it came around on a tour. It's designed by Dale Chihuly, who is a famous glass artist. The lid on this piano is all glass. Wild colors on the keys, though. Not sure how long I could play without getting woozy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Sheesh, that looks like a freakin' pinball machine....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Sheesh, that looks like a freakin' pinball machine....

haha - you're right, it does!

(and FYI - I love playing pinball. At least I did when I was thirteen. It's been awhile...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:28 am 

Good one Chris! I bet you get 3 chances to play a piece, and then the glass flashes "Insert Coin". At least it's easy to clean, just use Windex.

Quote:
I found your new Steinway D.
Monica, I guess he must be color blind. I am surprised he hasn't shattered that glass by now. I bet there's a note on the cover, "Fragile! Play with care." If you really want to get woozy, try playing with 3-D glasses on those keys. I like any color, as long as it's black. :D

Wow, you have a sister, and she's not on PS?... You're so lucky to have a musical soul mate to play duets, 2 pianos, swap musical ideas, etc. Actually, Schimmel has several models: 7', 7'6", 8'4", and a 9'2". Several years ago, I was looking into a 8'4", before I found the B. You're right, I think most German pianos have very responsive Renner actions for your favorite - TRILLS! My Achilles heel are 3rds! I love them as much as the swine flu. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:29 am 

That green D almost looks like vomit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:07 am 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
Good one Chris! I bet you get 3 chances to play a piece, and then the glass flashes "Insert Coin". At least it's easy to clean, just use Windex.

Yeah, and it'll say "TILT!" and go all limp when you push the keys too hard :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:43 pm 

"He's a pinball wizard..."

I bet that piano is festive under black light, particularly with 3-D glasses. I suppose that the right and left pedals controll the flippers.

Also, if that glass could be back-lit so that it glows on the ceiling, it would go with your lava lamp and disco balls, Monica.

The colors actually remind me of a Victorian House in Indianapolis. It was recently repainted, I suspect because it was throwing off the airplanes to the airport.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:35 am 

techneut wrote:
88man wrote:

Yeah, and it'll say "TILT!" and go all limp when you push the keys too hard :P

No, the fallboard will slam shut on your hands! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 am 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:
"He's a pinball wizard..."

I bet that piano is festive under black light, particularly with 3-D glasses. I suppose that the right and left pedals controll the flippers.

Also, if that glass could be back-lit so that it glows on the ceiling, it would go with your lava lamp and disco balls, Monica.

The colors actually remind me of a Victorian House in Indianapolis. It was recently repainted, I suspect because it was throwing off the airplanes to the airport.

Scott

"....there's got to be a twist."

I was singing the same thing when we started talking about pinball. And great idea about the the glowing piano with my lava lamps and disco balls! :lol: