Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Test takes in local church
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Had access to the local chruch today in which they have a decent but not very tuned and pretty sharp sounding upright Yamaha piano. Brought my Edirol to see if it is possible to make recordings there but forgot my earphones (!&%!) so I could not listen to the takes I did in different positions for my Edirol until I got home. Pretty shocked about the sound which also has a too low recording volume and I located the Edirol too far away from the piano. Anyway, I thought it might be amusing to listen to including a real screw-up on the Chopin impromptu :o. (that's what happends when you think you know a piece by heart and didn't bring the score)

The idea is if I find a way to make decent recordings there, I could avoid adding effects but rather capture a more live performance spirit. But don't you think the piano sounds weird?

Post subject: Re: Test takes in local church
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm 

robert wrote:
But don't you think the piano sounds weird?

I think majority if not all Yamaha uprights sound like ":x" The position of the edirol is not that bad perhaps a few feet closer. Sounds better than placing the edirol ontop of a speaker :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:45 pm 

yes, the piano sound is weird..... its out of tune I suppose. as you know all my recordings are done on the minis disc. The recording volume can be ajusted or automatic, I can choose.eg small room; live concert; rock band; jazz and so on. Its cheap and reasonable. The most important is its very the use friendly. I place my microphone(condense micro from sony) just behind my seat as if there were ausiences. 10/10, i have no problem with that as you can tell from my recordings.

But I have not tried place the microphone in the lid as you guys did. I think I am too lazy to open up that lids and worried about the "distorsion" I might get.

So, did anyone sit there and listen to your trials?

By the way I am playing the mass for 24/12/06.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:50 am 

I like the idea of recording in a church, also because it can lead to enter a calm mood as performer, just the right thing for making music (in my case it behave so in a church). Maybe a very close distance of the Edirol to the piano would be good, perhaps directly on the left or right side of the note stand? The background reverb will be there netherveless but hopefully it does not sound that muddy.

For me it sounds as if you play with relative heavy keytouch, but I can be wrong. Playing softer (as "default") would give you more headroom for dynamics on louder places, and would sound probably better (to me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like you are playing inside a tin can. (a very large one)
I kind of liked the invention, though. Not sure why, I'm just weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
I like the idea of recording in a church, also because it can lead to enter a calm mood as performer, just the right thing for making music (in my case it behave so in a church). Maybe a very close distance of the Edirol to the piano would be good, perhaps directly on the left or right side of the note stand? The background reverb will be there netherveless but hopefully it does not sound that muddy.

For me it sounds as if you play with relative heavy keytouch, but I can be wrong. Playing softer (as "default") would give you more headroom for dynamics on louder places, and would sound probably better (to me).

I will not forget the headphone next time and see if I can find a better location for the edirol. I know I sometimes play pretty harsh and I know I did in these takes but it is also the piano that sounds pretty bright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
It sounds like you are playing inside a tin can. (a very large one)
I kind of liked the invention, though. Not sure why, I'm just weird.

I kind of play in a large can ;). I played the invention the "conventional" way so not very weird that you liked the style of it but the sounds...hopefully, further experiments will improve the sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

johnmar78 wrote:
yes, the piano sound is weird..... its out of tune I suppose.
Some keys are a bit out of tune (but not terrible) and I told the janitor about it. Hopefully, they do something about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 am 
Site Admin

It sounds rather hollow and far away but oitherwise not too bad. That piano is a lot better than the piece of junk in my church (a brand named "Hellas" and I would not play it if it was the last piano in the world :wink: ) and does not sound too off-tune to me.
But it seems the acoustic is just not very piano friendly. Or perhaps you need to be closer with the Edirol. Also it is important to play more clearly, detached and dry in this kind of ambiance. I liked your alternative coda to the Impromptu :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
It sounds rather hollow and far away but oitherwise not too bad. That piano is a lot better than the piece of junk in my church (a brand named "Hellas" and I would not play it if it was the last piano in the world :wink: ) and does not sound too off-tune to me.
Hellas? Never heard of it.
techneut wrote:
But it seems the acoustic is just not very piano friendly. Or perhaps you need to be closer with the Edirol. Also it is important to play more clearly, detached and dry in this kind of ambiance.

I think I need to locate the Edirol much closer. Both tests were 10 meters off or something. But I also need to play in a more detached way as you suggest. I will make more attempts. I like the atmosphere in there and the acoustics does not sound too problematic when I play.
techneut wrote:
I liked your alternative coda to the Impromptu :P
Oh, I put a LOT of effort and time on that. Thank you! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:36 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Hellas? Never heard of it

Neither had I. Wouldn't be surprised if it's North Korean or somethng.

Just for laughs, I should record something on it just to demonstrate what a real crap piano sounds like. This thing really takes the biscuit. I'll do the Impromptu and then we can discuss which one sounds the worst :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:05 pm 

robert wrote:
I think I need to locate the Edirol much closer. Both tests were 10 meters off or something. But I also need to play in a more detached way as you suggest. I will make more attempts. I like the atmosphere in there and the acoustics does not sound too problematic when I play.

Yes, maybe directly on the piano (or even inside, or below the piano !?) might help. If I were you I would not play in a more detached way, you tend to play already pretty much detached. One can debat endless about subjective taste, but I would play it instead smoother, this way it is also easier to play softer if you like to do so. Maybe the indirect reverb from the church gives nice reverb, even if Edirol records very directly?
Hopefully not only the atmosphere is well in the church but too the temperature? I am lucky that "my" church is heated - I don't need no pullover for organ playing even in winter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:03 pm 

I liked the last recording,

Good sound I think and lovely piece!

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'