Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Fast and well played but blurred with all the reverb. The organ sounds well I think. Is it a large church or why is there so much reverb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Fast and well played but blurred with all the reverb. The organ sounds well I think. Is it a large church or why is there so much reverb?

Same smallish church as usual (I have no immediate recording plans, if at all, for the big one). The reverb is there because I like it that way (CoolEdit Light Concert Hall Reverb).

But perhaps it's too much here. I have attached the non-reverberated version, which to me sounds perhaps a little clearer but not as full as an organ should. It could well be that it just needs more detached playing. As you both moan about the reverb, can you and Olaf give me your opinions on which version is better ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:48 am 

To me it sounds a bit better, it has so already enough reverb, if not more than enough.

Bach unfortunately did not wrote down much about his registration. Interesting however, for this piece he explicitely wrote down what he liked: principal 8' for manual and trumpet 8' pedal. To me it sounds so as if you added a sharp mixture along (if not full plenum). To me, mixture has the drawback that long notes overshadow much more other fast played notes, as flute or principal registers do (maybe due to the high overtones). That means, maybe it will sound more transparent with the suggested registration by Bach (on my organ I unfortunately don't have trumpet 8' however). Maybe you used that registration, correct me if I am wrong.

Yesterday I checked the organ regarding pedal range - I need to correct myself, the pedal reaches also only to the high f, so it is also the highest possible note for pedal what Bach used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 am 
Site Admin

I have no Trumpet register either. Instead I use the Krummhorn on manual 2 coupled to the pedal. Because that produces rather a lot of sound, I choose to add the Mixture to the manual so as not to drown it out. I always like the mixture for festive pieces but as you say for the faster ones it may not be ideal. It would be nice to have an organ with all the possibilities Bach had... but we'll have to make do with what we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Admin

I like this version better but you decide of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

After listening to both versions several times I still prefer the reverberated version. The version without reverb is perhaps a little clearer, but not much, and I seem to hear the bass notes better in the reverberated version (that could be wishful thinking though...) Most important, without the reverb I miss that special church atmosphere that I like, it sounds too much like a cabinet organ. So I think I'll keep using the reverb for recordings made here. But I must really concentrate even harder on very clearly articulated and detached playing to keep things as transparent as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:53 pm 

According to the picture I have seen from your organ (manual in the middle, pipes on both side) it should be possible to record with less amount of reverb I think if you put it in the middle?

I listened yesterday to a professional recording of the Orgelbuechlein pieces, and on this piece it sounded to me like the usage of principal + kind of a lingual register for pedal. Even with reverb it sounded more transparent.

With that amount of reverb you have, you would almost need to play staccato all the time to recognize single notes (at least with mixture register). The combination mixture + additional reverb + fast notes does not sound too well in my opinion. Also, the pedal sound could come out more, the mixture overshadows it. But it's your decision.