Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Just an additional note...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:38 am 

P.S. Techneut, I totally agree and hopefully in the future I'll be good enough at programming to help out more. When I finish the degrees I should have more time to post more songs, too.

I've found that TOO MUCH has happened here since last time, my new songs folder "to listen to" is overflowing and I may have to "bump" some threads (which I know you love :) ) when I do get more time to spend here. Hopefully I'll have finished the Scriabin, Wagner, and Field I've been working on (maybe even a Mozart?).

Aryobrand

P.P.S. How come the Wagner page still isn't up? I've seen it through the download stats links, but nothing is linked to it and my Wagner piece is still in miscellaneous. Oh well, I guess that will still have to serve as more incentive for me to perform more Wagner pieces to add to the site...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:41 am 

Quote:
Great that people have all these ideas to pimp up the site, or even move it to another technology.

My usual response: who's volunteering ? As for myself, I have a day job, a family, a very demanding hobby, plus PS and church duties. No way I am going to invest lots of extra time in the site. As for Monica and Robert, they have their own things too. As it happens, we can only keep up because things are a bit slow here - dunno what would happen if we had many more active pianists, and dozens of new submissions every day.

Ideas are great. What we need is hands. It peeves me a bit when people say 'let's do this and let's do that' (note the plural !) but really expect somebody else to do it. It also peeves me when someone complains there's nothing new when he decides to drop in once in a blue moon. Actually, Avguste, you only post here when you want something, like an event calendar for which you have been lobbying before.

This site does not need the newest gadgets. It needs people to come in and talk. Sadly, many people drop out after a while, and we seen to have lost many core members. I guess it just happens like that, whatever the technology.

Volunteering to move the site?if it is to ning.com , I could manage it. It would take me a few weeks (more like a month)given my busy schedule(concerts, teaching, developing a forum based game), however it can be done.
The phpbb hacks, I could install as well, however for that, I would need full FTP and CPanel access to the current site.

A solution to the lack of hands is to have moderators like so many other community and game sites. Have specific moderators for specific sections, and those moderators get specific moderator powers.
Also, allow for artists to modify their pages themselves. That would remove a thing to do on your list and the other admins list.

Concerning your comment about my presence here, I come often and I post when I have something to say and/or request. And I disagree with you as far as not needing the newest gadgets. New features, new CD releases, new artists joining us allow for admins to email the community a regular newsletter (monthly or something similar), reminding all users who haven't logged in a long time that the Piano Society still exists, is active and thriving.
New features allow for admins, and current members to further promote and show that the PS is advancing and ahead of its time.

As far as the calendar, I took things into my own hands.
Check http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3725

Same goes about promoting the Piano Society and its book, since I am distributing self made flyers about the Piano Society at all of my concerts.

---
To aryobrand

- a move to a site such as ning.com doesnt require any coding skills. It would require just painful copy and paste. Although painful, this would also allow to clear forums of any threads which havent been used in years

- constructive criticism is and should always be welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 am 

Hi Avguste:

avguste wrote:
...a move to a site such as ning.com doesnt require any coding skills. It would require just painful copy and paste. Although painful, this would also allow to clear forums of any threads which havent been used in years

- constructive criticism is and should always be welcome

I sure hope we won't be losing archived threads!!! I still go back and find very useful information in them - kind of like a piano techniques archive. :shock:

At least we're agreed concerning constructive criticism, however I would still be against setting up a mechanism for attacking someone else's artistic performances. That wouldn't necessarily reflect objectivity, nor would it be as helpful to me as an artist. "OK 372 people hate my song, or do they hate the composer, the style, me, the period, the etc." I'd rather prefer to see: "An anonymous musician [or suchandsuch] has voted this best song of the site." and there would be as many of those to go around as contributing members.

Just my viewpoint.

Aryobrand

P.S. BTW what's a ning.com?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:40 pm 

ning.com is a company which allows for anyone to create their own social networks.
For more details, check http://www.ning.com/
However, where the trick is that there would be small fees. For example:

Get Extra Help with Premium Support Starting at $10 per month
Point Your Domain Name to Your Social Network $4.95 per month per domain
Get More Storage and Bandwidth $9.95 per month per unit
Go Ad-Free $24.95 per month
Hide Create Links $24.95 per month

Other similar options are http://wackwall.com/ , http://buddypress.org/about/ (requires WordPressMU)

Post subject: Re: Just an additional note...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:
P.S. Techneut, I totally agree and hopefully in the future I'll be good enough at programming to help out more. When I finish the degrees I should have more time to post more songs, too.

I'll be interested to hear what areas of specific knowledge you could bring to the site (I mean, of technologies that we currently use or could add rather than new stuff that would require a complete overhaul). And more important, whether you'd be committed to spend regular time for the site.

aryobrand wrote:
P.P.S. How come the Wagner page still isn't up? I've seen it through the download stats links, but nothing is linked to it and my Wagner piece is still in miscellaneous. Oh well, I guess that will still have to serve as more incentive for me to perform more Wagner pieces to add to the site...

It's because Daniel Hoehr has not come forward with the bio he promised. He planned to do it over the weekend, but did not not specify which weekend. :P I guess I don't have to wait for it and can already create the page and move the recordings.

aryobrand wrote:
Oh well, I guess that will still have to serve as more incentive for me to perform more Wagner pieces to add to the site...

By all means do. Let's have the biggest Wagner piano collection on the web :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

[OT] I've created the Wagner page and moved the recordings there [/OT]

Post subject: Re: Just an additional note...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:59 am 

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

techneut wrote:
aryobrand wrote:

It's because Daniel Hoehr has not come forward with the bio he promised.

The page is already created and has a short bio and picture on it.

Wagner's Page

Sure the bio could use some fleshing out more, Mad King Ludwig, Friedrich Nietzsche, etc but it's functional enough to link up music to it.

Wagner's Music

OH!!! :D What a nice surprise! Someone did the AlbumBlatt. I'll definitely have to put listening to that in my To-Do stack (more like mountain).

techneut wrote:
aryobrand wrote:
Oh well, I guess that will still have to serve as more incentive for me to perform more Wagner pieces to add to the site...

By all means do. Let's have the biggest Wagner piano collection on the web :lol:

I've been stealing away moments from my studies to work on a piece that Wagner wrote and arranged that's about 28 pages long if my memory serves me. [Aside for techneut: I also found various copies of another Wagner recording upon which I previously was working, but there's a mistake in each one (in a different place) and I'm a stickler for no mistakes within the main melodies/harmonies before I post. If I knew how to do so and had the equipment, I could probably splice two versions together to get a perfect cut, but am also still undecided whether I could accept that. If so, I would insist on the word "edited" attached to the title, and it would be temporary until I record it 'all of a piece', in which case I'd want to take the spliced recording down for the new one. Is this possible to remove recordings to put up better ones, etc?]

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am 

techneut wrote:
[OT] I've created the Wagner page and moved the recordings there [/OT]

Wahoo! Now there's two Wagner pages!!! :lol:

I should have included the link to the page with the bio on it in my first post, but I had thought you were already aware of it. Sorry if you had to duplicate work - I know how precious time is...

Speaking of which, back to work.
Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 am 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:

What the heck? First, a member prints off sheet music from our site when we don't even carry sheet music anymore, and now you (Michael) are able to access two different Wagner pages. When I click on Wagner, I get only the blank page. I must need a vacation!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 am 

Hi Monica:

pianolady wrote:
aryobrand wrote:

What the heck? First, a member prints off sheet music from our site when we don't even carry sheet music anymore, and now you (Michael) are able to access two different Wagner pages. When I click on Wagner, I get only the blank page. I must need a vacation!

We no longer carry sheet music????!!!! What brought about that change? If it's a copyright issue, the notes (Mozart's notes, von Beethoven's notes, Chopin's notes, etc) in public domain can be re-entered into a manuscript writing program and the like to even eliminate any questionable legal areas of publications copyrights. Or was this an economic decision based on increased scarcity and/or shifting demand curves?

As for the second Wagner page, from the main site just go into the Download Statistics link at the bottom. From there pick a month, any month - then look for Wagner (He was about 29 downloads last time I looked at January). Clicking that link takes one to the secret stash of Piano Society Bio pages that somehow get half-created and not linked up ... or something. I haven't checked if any other ones do that, yet. I thought it was cool when I discovered that Wagner page, and just waited patiently to see it linked up with the menu system ... and waited. I think it's cool that now there's two Wagner pages. [I think I hear Chris grumbling.]

:wink:

Tell me how the sheet music situation came about - I have as much time such that I sometimes can practice piano about four hours .....

... :cry:

.... a month!!!!!

After I finish my studies it should double my salary however, then I can finally afford a Boesendorffer Imperial Grand or one of those Microtonal Grands (maybe both?). :D (Foregoing current consumption in exchange for acquisition of human capital causing economic growth to result in final expanded possible future consumption... AAAHHHH Can you tell I've been studying too much Economics. :wink: speaking of which ... )

Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:
We no longer carry sheet music????!!!! What brought about that change?

Now that IMSLP is back in town, there is no point in us carrying sheetmusic as well. IMSLP does that much better and it saves us work, diskspace, and possibly legal issues. There's also Mike Hawley's site which has almost as much as IMSLP, and then some. Anybody still doesn't know the login for that, let me know.

aryobrand wrote:
I think it's cool that now there's two Wagner pages.

There's only one. You must be boss-eyed or drunk, maybe both :lol:

In the Statistics and New Recordings pages, composers that have not yet been added link to the main page. I guess this is what you saw yesterday. Now that the page is there, the link takes you there. I've also been messing with the scripts, so could be there's a temporary hiccup. But I think all is well now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 pm 

techneut wrote:
...There's also Mike Hawley's site which has almost as much as IMSLP, and then some. Anybody still doesn't know the login for that, let me know.

Who's Mike Hawley, and what's his site?

techneut wrote:
aryobrand wrote:
I think it's cool that now there's two Wagner pages.

There's only one. You must be boss-eyed or drunk, maybe both :lol:

I so wish I had the time to be drunk so maybe I'm boss-eyed, but there are still two Wagner pages. If you have a browser that uses tabs try the following experiment...
Open up piano society in a tab and drill down to Composers>Wagner. This should display the Wagner page with linked music but no bio.
In the other tab, click the link from my post in this forum "Wagner's Page" above. This should display the Wagner page with a short bio but no music links.
The bio starts out
Quote:
Wilhelm Richard Wagner was an influential German composer, conductor, music theorist, and essayist, primarily known for his operas. His compositions, particularly those of his later period, are notable for their contrapuntal texture, rich chromaticism, harmonies and orchestration, and elaborate use of leitmotifs: themes associated with specific characters, locales, or plot elements. Wagner's chromatic musical language prefigured later developments in European classical music, including extreme chromaticism and atonality. He transformed musical thought through his...

This page has been up since I submitted the Wagner song was it a year ago now, so this is nothing new. I was just very patient before saying anything. The bio has been there for just as long, too. The only thing that's new is that now one can't go directly to a specific composers page from the download statistics - Why the change?

Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:41 am 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:
I so wish I had the time to be drunk so maybe I'm boss-eyed, but there are still two Wagner pages. If you have a browser that uses tabs try the following experiment...
Open up piano society in a tab and drill down to Composers>Wagner. This should display the Wagner page with linked music but no bio.
In the other tab, click the link from my post in this forum "Wagner's Page" above. This should display the Wagner page with a short bio but no music links.

I don't know what boss-eyed means, but Michael is right about there being two Wagner pages.
I have just now copied the bio from the 'hidden' page and pasted it on the page that opens. Then I deleted the hidden page (I think).

Michael, I also just pm'd you the login info to Hawley's site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I don't know what boss-eyed means, but Michael is right about there being two Wagner pages.
I have just now copied the bio from the 'hidden' page and pasted it on the page that opens. Then I deleted the hidden page (I think).

Seems to be me that's boss-eyed or drunk, or both... I did not see that hidden page. There's now only an empty section left of it, I think you deleted the modules of the page but not the page itself.
I have deleted it from the database directly (don't try this at home).

aryobrand wrote:
The only thing that's new is that now one can't go directly to a specific composers page from the download statistics - Why the change?)

Cause I made a mistake while fluffing around with my shell scripts. I already fixed this yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Seems to be me that's boss-eyed or drunk, or both... I did not see that hidden page. There's now only an empty section left of it, I think you deleted the modules of the page but not the page itself.
I have deleted it from the database directly (don't try this at home).

I poked around looking for a way to delete the page, but gave up. There is also another thing we should delete too.