Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Official at last
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Finally today I was officially admitted as organist to the church where I've been playing for the past year. That feels good after having been on probation for so long, and feeling like doing an exam each time I had to play. There is much to learn yet but they did recognize the progress I made over the last couple of months. Boy did I underestimate that job when I went for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm 

My hearty congratulations, Chris! That church faculty sounds hard to please.

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:29 pm 

Congrats Mr. Techneut! From my brief experience with Dutch churches, it is sad that there will be so few ears to listen to you play. Seems to me that that past life doesn't matter that much. Please tell me that I am wrong. Nevertheless, the requirements for the job must have been astronomical considering that you , of all people on this site, had a tough time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

sarah wrote:
My hearty congratulations, Chris! That church faculty sounds hard to please.

Oh, they are quite ok, patient and helpful. But picky as well, and they wanted to make sure I was heading the right way before giving the green light. They'd previously failed to do that and are now stuck with an organist they don't really want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Congrats Mr. Techneut! From my brief experience with Dutch churches, it is sad that there will be so few ears to listen to you play. Seems to me that that past life doesn't matter that much. Please tell me that I am wrong.

You're wrong. It was pretty packed today (but that because there was no service in the twin church).
Normal attendance is not great but satisfying.

juufa72 wrote:
Nevertheless, the requirements for the job must have been astronomical considering that you , of all people on this site, had a tough time.

It would take a bit of getting used to for anybody, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations. Your relief is almost palpable. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:36 am 

Congrats, Chris. I wish I'd gotten to hear you play when I was in your neck of the woods, but the guy at Oude Kerk wasn't half bad. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Thanks all. It's not a world-rocking post I have, but it's a start. Had I failed this I would have to seriously reconsider my organ career. Not having an instrument myself, it's quite impossible to play organ seriously without being affiliated to a church. I guess I'm lucky that they don't even mind me being non-religious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:52 am 

techneut wrote:
Thanks all. It's not a world-rocking post I have, but it's a start. Had I failed this I would have to seriously reconsider my organ career. Not having an instrument myself, it's quite impossible to play organ seriously without being affiliated to a church. I guess I'm lucky that they don't even mind me being non-religious.

Congrats also on my part. What about the organ you play there? In Italy we frequently have historically important organs located in small parishes. In my area there are a good number of beautiful instruments (often completely restored and yet seldom played, since the priests and the singers seem to be more at ease with the ubiquitous electronic organ placed near the altar).

http://www.antichiorganidelcanavese.it/web/index.html

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

This organ was newly built in 1978, but adhering to the then-current strict rules for neo-Baroque organs. That means rickety keys (wow, that authentic feel) and very sharp octave and mixture registers. It means in practice that I can never use the mixture in a service. Plans are ongoing to
address these points. Despite that, it's not at all a bad organ to learn to play on, and sounds quite nice in recordings. Though I hope eventually to get my hands on something more elaborate and imposing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:47 pm 

Congrats!!!! ... of course, now you'll have to curtail your association with some of the undesirables on this site ... not naming any names, but :arrow:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 pm 

congratulations on your appointment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:31 pm 

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on being appointed organist! I've listened to your recordings right along and know how hard you've worked to improve, and it shows. So you earned it, and evidently the church organ-ization felt likewise. Best of luck to you in that endeavor!

David :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks David (and other who commented).
Actually my 'career' as an organ soloist has nothing to do with my being church organist, at least not for the church. It has for me, of course. But they don't care about how well I play Bach, all they care about is that I can satisfactorily and smootly accompany a service, and that they can sing along nicely. Now that I've taken to improvising instead of trying to fill spaces with pre-chosen repertoire pieces, that works a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:04 pm 

Have my sincere congratulations, Chris! Now we know, for what sudatory aim you have recorded all these Bach chorale preludes, isn´t it? :wink: :lol: No, seriously, I really appreciate your organ playing and it´s great, that you have had such a good success! Kudos!