Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: two Mazurkas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a couple of mazurkas. My piano is slipping rapidly, so if you think this sounds too bad, I'll re-record these later. Aside from that, what do you think?

Admin edit: Deleted attachments, as superseded by new versions on tuned piano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:16 pm 

mazurka lady..very nice played. On the second one. Pay attetion at 1.49-1.50.
Next time I in europe with my family, I might drop in and tune your piano for free :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Yes it is a shame about the piano sound, because these are really very good and I would put them straight up. Not that they sound really bad, they can still go up and you might replace them later when the piano's tuned ? There's also still the Brahms intermezzo waiting to go up.

You have truly caught the Mazurka bug, and you seem to be getting quite comfortable with recording. Great ! I have no quibbles at all with these, except that in the 24-3 the chromatic middle section does not quite sound legato as it should explicitly do. And you could look at the last RH note of the opening bar, this recurs sometimes as a quart and sometimes as an eight, and I think there's one or two places where you take the wrong choice. Nitpicking, I know.... and it could be an edition difference.

An overall observation is that it could still be a bit more relaxed and flowing, though I am sure that is just a matter of time. Great job all the same ! I could hear only the tiniest slip once or twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 am 

Both sound good to me too!
Anyhow I like the lively interpretation of the 17/2 mazurka even a bit more than that of the 24/2 mazurka. Maybe the melody line on 24/2 sound a bit tough on some places and not so liquid.

Why goes your piano so fast out of tune? Was the the temperature outside dropping much? That can cause dry humidity, and humidity changes is what causes tuning loss in first rank. I placed a humidity meter inside the piano, and if the humidity falls below 50%, what happens if it is frozen outside very fast, I turn on a humdifier below the grand. If it is very cold, it takes about 10 liter water per day! Helps to enlarge the tuning interval (just a sidenote).

Overall very good done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, guys. I'm calling my piano tuner today!
It is because of the weather, here, that my piano has slipped so fast. Over the past five weeks or so, we had cold for a few days, then warm, then really cold, then really warm, then blizzard with a foot of snow (lost a tall pine tree in my front yard, five feet away from the living room window where my piano is - that was a surprise), then one warm day and now it's bitter cold today and warming up on the weekend. I may have to check out one of those damp chaser things or a humidifier.

Techneut, I'm considering what you said about putting the pieces up now, and replacing them later. I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:01 pm 

hmmm we seem to share the same climate. 60 degrees one day and 20 degrees the next with 15" of snow and then nothing but below zero tempuratures for a week straight. Lucky I have a digital piano. It'll never go out of tune. But then again...... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Lucky I have a digital piano. It'll never go out of tune. But then again...... :(

Then again your speakers may break down, or your electronic circuits may get corroded, or a power surge may blow your fuse or set the whole thing on fire, or .... The horror scenario is endless !

This is just to scare you off digital and buy something proper of course :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

I just called my tuner and he's coming over in one hour. The minute he leaves, I'll re-record these so we won't have to deal with replacing files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:55 pm 

techneut wrote:
juufa72 wrote:
Lucky I have a digital piano. It'll never go out of tune. But then again...... :(

Then again your speakers may break down, or your electronic circuits may get corroded, or a power surge may blow your fuse or set the whole thing on fire, or .... The horror scenario is endless !

This is just to scare you off digital and buy something proper of course :lol:

Don't worry. I scare myself into the proper way--Sometimes I am ashamed of posting my recordings because of the improper digital keyboard.

Too bad money doesn't grow on trees....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:00 pm 

I can't hear that the piano is out of tune. The sounds seems a bit "tinny" and is not mellow. Is this what you guys hear when the piano is out of tune? I'm not use to hearing it. :roll: I mean, I can hear when a piano is obviously out of tune (i.e the piano which I used to record my compostion), but when it is this subtle, I cannot hear the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Juufa, see if you can tell the difference now. Play the first few seconds of one of these and then go to my latest submission of the same pieces, but on a freshly tuned piano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 am 

juufa72 wrote:
I can't hear that the piano is out of tune. The sounds seems a bit "tinny" and is not mellow. Is this what you guys hear when the piano is out of tune? I'm not use to hearing it. :roll: I mean, I can hear when a piano is obviously out of tune (i.e the piano which I used to record my compostion), but when it is this subtle, I cannot hear the difference.

Regarding out of tune, this is how I see it: If all 3 strings of a tone are unisono you hear a straight tone. There is a tiny area in which all strings vibrate in forced synchronisation. If a string left that area, you hear a wobbling frequency, at the beginning e.g. very slow, some seconds. With time it gets faster until it is several wobblings per second (for a single key!). I would describe that as getting more and more "colored". If a piano is slightly detuned that way, it does not sound that bad to me, the sound overall is getting warmer instead crystal clear and cold. But if the wobblings get more and more, things get worse.