Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: What is a sampled piano???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:29 pm 

I've been learning the Bach-Rach transcription of BWV 1006 for a long time and today wanted to listen to performances of that work on YT. I found an excellent rendition but I cannot find who the artist is. There is just written: "Sound "Sampletekk Black Grand""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6GYSo5ELCE
My stupid question is, what you do to create music on a sampled piano. Do you play on a keyboard?? Or do you just make something with a computer? BTW I found on internet that the "Sampletekk Black Grand" is sold at 199$. Is that a software??
(I call the question "stupid", because I know the PS doesn't want to have music created in such a way, but don't know what it exactly is :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:39 pm 

your doubt is... was that played by a computer, or a human being?

I myself don't know.
I'd say it was a true person playing an electronic piano. but it's not written there on YouTube. I'd say it's a person because of the tempo, which fluctuates. right at the beginning, I find the stacatto notes a bit insecure.

on the other hand, it's quite accurate, with no hesitation in jumps... so it could well be a MIDI player.

Post subject: Re: What is a sampled piano???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:35 pm 

hyenal wrote:
I've been learning the Bach-Rach transcription of BWV 1006 for a long time and today wanted to listen to performances of that work on YT. I found an excellent rendition but I cannot find who the artist is. There is just written: "Sound "Sampletekk Black Grand""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6GYSo5ELCE
My stupid question is, what you do to create music on a sampled piano. Do you play on a keyboard?? Or do you just make something with a computer? BTW I found on internet that the "Sampletekk Black Grand" is sold at 199$. Is that a software??
(I call the question "stupid", because I know the PS doesn't want to have music created in such a way, but don't know what it exactly is :roll: )

A "sampled" instrument (piano or any other) is one that uses a number of digital recordings for the notes used. A really good sampled instrument will individually take several samples of each note -- attacks, releases, with pedal, with out pedal, different volume levels, etc. and some form of computer controls how these samples are combined.

Lesser "sampled" instruments sample certain notes throughout the instrument and then transpose those to additional notes as needed.

Most digital keyboards use sound sampling, especially for their piano sounds. These digital keyboards are essentially specialized computers.

Sound sampling packages are installed on computers. They are then controlled with the use of MIDI, whether by an attached keyboard or through various means on the computer (OCR of sheet music, compostion programs, etc. If an attached keyboard is used, it may be used just as we would an acoustic piano and used in live situations or through techniques such as playing one line at a time at a slower than intended tempo.

I can't imagine that the sound clip above was computer generated (except for the piano tone.) OCR sight-reads about as well as a reasonable human -- an makes similar errors. Also, That or composition programs can only provide particular values for dynamics, tempo changes, touch, and any number of things. And the natural flexibility of rhythm and tempo that any pianist uses (e.g. the relaxation that doesn't really alter the beat at the end of phrases etc.) is not inherent in even some of the best programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:32 pm 

Thanks Felipe and RSPII (sorry, I don't know your real name...)!
So both of you think that a real person played that. I think so, too. But I wonder why the excellent performer (certainly a pro) didn't mark the name of her- or himself clearly. And why the person doesn't play on a real Steinway D, but on a digital instrument that was just on that Steinway D sampled.
I heard also other sound clips on the playing list of that YT user and they were really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:09 pm 

hyenal wrote:
Thanks Felipe and RSPII (sorry, I don't know your real name...)!
So both of you think that a real person played that. I think so, too. But I wonder why the excellent performer (certainly a pro) didn't mark the name of her- or himself clearly. And why the person doesn't play on a real Steinway D, but on a digital instrument that was just on that Steinway D sampled.
I heard also other sound clips on the playing list of that YT user and they were really good.

I suspect that the clip is promotional material for this sampled instrument since its name was what was featured.

BTW, the web site is http://www.sampletekk.com/.

Scott