Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano Piece #2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:00 pm 

(well this is very very strange! Almost as strange as "The Twilight Zone"! I am always logged onto this forum--i.e. the computer remembers my SN and password-- but whenever I opened it up the forum was dead, i.e. no posts no activity. But that is impossible since I was posting messages and submitting records and it always showed when I clicked on the specific thread--not when I clicked "new topics since lost login". I was posting but no one else was active, it seemed that I was the last person alive! But it was fixed when I logged off and signed back on. Was it just a glich? Or was I in another parallel dimension? :lol: )

Anyways, let's see if this will work.

I am submitting my second composition for the Piano. It was recorded on Thursday on a 1920 something Concord Upright. Unfortunately this is the best piano my school has to offer for the students to use. (There is however a nice Steinway 6-foot 8-inch piano on the top floor of the main building but this floor is reserved for the Big-Shots for the Universities--Deans, President, Provost, etc.) But for us, students, we get to use pianos that are tuned every 30 years and replaced every 100 years. :wink: (litte off but you get the point).

Secondly, my edirol seems to be misbehaving. It records as usual, but when I upload it to the computer it is very very very very very quiet! I positioned the edirol close to the piano and I turned up the input volume as high as possible without "peaking-out".

With all this in mind, please try to get passed how damn quiet it is, and how crappy our pianos are at our univeristy (which finds a way to pay the head basketball coach $1.2 million dollars a year so he can coach a team that never makes it to the playoffs. And an University which says that it cannot afford to replace the old-worn-out pianos--six of them. )

So with all pleasure I submit a piano piece in the style of a nocturne, however I really don't know what the hell it is called. I also don't know how to expand the ideas. Bear with the minor errors, (that is, if you can hear this)

regards,
-jg

EDIT: THE SOUND IS OK!!!! DO NOT TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Juufa. What kind of mood were you in when you wrote this? I could hear this in a movie.
If I were you, I'd sneak upstairs to that grand piano at night with only a candle to light your way, and play this piece.

I'm not sure if it's in the nocturne style or not. Possibly a ballade?
Thanks for the listen. To be a composer is to open up your heart and soul for others to see. I admire you for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

A strange and disturbing piece ! More like a funeral march or a dirge, than like a Nocturne. It's sort of dark, grim, and desperate which has a certain appeal. It reminded me a bit of the Liszt Funerailles. That piano has a great powerful bass, which you make the most of. Shame the middle register is so swimmy.

Not aspiring to be a composer, I can't comment on this as a composition - as an improvisation it is quite effective I think. The sound was ok (no problem with the Edirol then ?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:55 pm 

pianolady wrote:
What kind of mood were you in when you wrote this?

The cloud is always raining overhead :lol:

pianolady wrote:
If I were you, I'd sneak upstairs to that grand piano at night with only a candle to light your way, and play this piece.

Tried that! Didn't turn out too well. Maybe because it was during the day :twisted: ! However, the two ways of getting up there are 1) elevator or 2) stairs. The elevator needs a key to enable the elevator car to go up to the 5th floor. and 2) the stairs are always locked from the 4th floors! I managed to push the 5th floor button one day and it lit up! So I took the ride up there and peeked my head out of the elevator. All I can say is "so this is where our tuition money goes!!!" It was like a palace room, white carpeting, gold and ivory white striped wall paper, walnut burl furniture, paitings, recessed lighting, green plants, and a nice piano.

techneut wrote:
(no problem with the Edirol then ?)

Not for this recording, but 10 minutes ago I tried to record P.I.T's "The Dolls Burial" and I could not hear it on my computer with the volume as high as it can go.

techneut wrote:
That piano has a great powerful bass

Thats the only reason why I touched the thing. Other than that I was scared that it might fall apart on me and crush my legs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Tried that! Didn't turn out too well. Maybe because it was during the day :twisted: ! However, the two ways of getting up there are 1) elevator or 2) stairs. The elevator needs a key to enable the elevator car to go up to the 5th floor. and 2) the stairs are always locked from the 4th floors! I managed to push the 5th floor button one day and it lit up! So I took the ride up there and peeked my head out of the elevator. All I can say is "so this is where our tuition money goes!!!" It was like a palace room, white carpeting, gold and ivory white striped wall paper, walnut burl furniture, paitings, recessed lighting, green plants, and a nice piano.

Wow... sounds like the better adventure game. Did you find your magic token to allow you to the next level ? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:05 pm 

techneut wrote:
Yes, but the gorilla took the princess and went up to the next level so I need to jump over all the barrels and climb the ladders again. :x

Yeah I know.. it's always the ugly guys who get the pretty girls... Get used to it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Boys will be boys! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:57 am 

on a serious note. What key is this in? I dont even know! :oops: the primary notes used are :

F natural
A sharp/B flat
C sharp / D flat
F natural
Then it reverses going back down.

Then
F sharp/G flat
A sharp/B flat
C sharp/ D flat
F sharp/G flat

That is the "chord" progression for the left hand.

Thanks.

-JG

My guess is B-flat minor :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:45 pm 

Link doesnt work? Redirects to the main page...
On second thought it seems i cant access any recording attachments, only PDFs. Anyone else having this problem?

Judging by the notes you listed it would seem it is in Bb and Gb.