Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach WTK I. Prelude 8
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 pm 

Please find attached audition piece. More I hope to follow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:17 pm 

David, I really like that take!

You never loose the groove - not an easy task for this prelude, I think - but you maintain the momentum throughout the piece. Your keytouch sounds good to me too.
There are some notes different according to the sheet music archive score, but for the WTC1 there seem to be different editions available, so nothing to blame regarding the notes from my side.

The piano sounds a way muffled and bit detuned. And the sustain pedal makes clicking noise. First I thought that it is a metronome click because you play with such a straight rhythm - unless there were bars with more clicks in which you hit the sustain pedal more often than every quarter note.

Now, please let the fugue follow! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, agree with Mindenblues. A tasteful and solid performance, tempo, articulation, and dynamics are just right. Sound is a bit woolly indeed, and there are some decidedly swimmy notes especially in the middle register. Also a couple of wrong notes but nothing upsetting. Some of the ornaments are really well done, others are IMO a bit over the top, like that long trill which isn't in the score (at least not in Urtext). I also think you need to take a bit more care with the pedal, seems there are some places where things get blurred a bit. But important, we can hear that you love Bach, and you take all the time you need for it - any sense of impatience will kill this piece. Well done !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:59 pm 

Yes, keeping the flow is difficult in this one and you managed that difficulty very well! You played it with so much meaning! I heard your musical message loud and clear, not an easy task. Bravo! Encore!

Pete

p.s. some swimmy notes, but that's just picks and niggles :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:29 pm 

Dear MindenBlues, techneut and PJF,

Thankyou for your most constructive comments.

This piece is hugely significant to me so I'm especially glad to hear that some of that meaning came across to you.

I think the muffled sound you mention is a welcome reminder to start playing the pedal with my ears rather than my feet. Spot on.

As for piano and recording matters, indeed a tuning wouldn't go amiss. I reckon I've cured the pedal click. It is a Welmar upright, and I'm placing a single microphone to the left of my feet, with the board off. Any tips? I hope to gradually build up more kit.

Indeed the fugue will follow soon! I'm doing a lunchtime concert this weekend around the subject of the fugue, and will include this and two other preludes (9&10), a selection of Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis and Franck's Prelude Chorale & Fugue. I hope to submit some, if not all, in due course.

A nice community you've got going here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Wow, the Ludus Tonalis. I've always wanted to hear that. Hindemith may not always be endearing, but he's never dull as some people think. And always interesting. Be sure to post some recordings !

Welcome to our nice community btw :) Hope you will enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:50 am 
Site Admin

I forgot to mention David, do you want this on the site already ? In that case please mail me your bio information and a picture. I must say that as far as the WTC concerns, our preference is for the
prelude and fugue in one track. But it's not a rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:55 am 
Site Admin

Lovely and I agree with previous posters that you take the time needed for this wonderful and thoughful piece. This is Bach in his thoughts and wonders.