Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: ABBA MANIC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:22 pm 

Congraduations to ABBA, its there birthday on 12/11/06. We aussies(australian) are celebrating the events last night. and gave a big concert CALLED ABBA MANIC.

How about in Sweden????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Hehe! Well, I know they are extremely famous in Australia and so they are in Sweden too of course.
ABBA is the pop group who most people in Sweden knows about (read that somewhere). So larger than for example Roxette.

The entire country did not celebrate them but there were special broadcasts dedicated for ABBA at the national TV etc.

Perhaps not as widely known is that one of the ABBA figures (Benny Andersson) has composed and produced the famous musical named as Chess (together with Tim Rice etc.) so he is still going strong and am about the most important (and richest) person in Swedish music industry. Perhaps I should send him an email about Piano Society ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:12 pm 

[
The entire country did not celebrate them but there were special broadcasts dedicated for ABBA at the national TV etc.

Perhaps not as widely known is that one of the ABBA figures (Benny Andersson) has composed and produced the famous musical named as Chess (together with Tim Rice etc.) so he is still going strong and am about the most important (and richest) person in Swedish music industry. Perhaps I should send him an email about Piano Society ;).[/quote]

Sounds,a good idea,,,we should let him know.

In australia, We liked ABBA, this is one of the modern band that does not die out just like Chopins music, I think its to do with the melody they wrote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:27 pm 

ABBA was amongst my favorite groups when I was young. I thought they had wonderful vocals and excellent music, especially during the Arrival, The Album, Voulez-Vous and Super Trouper albums. Not to mention I had a crush on Agnetha. :wink:

Some years ago, I could find a store that was selling ABBA's The Movie on VHS cassette. This was mostly filmed during their Australian tour around 1977. In the movie, you can see people were really nuts about them. Around 1980, Benny Andersson bought a Yamaha GX1 synthesizer, a very expensive and enormous 3-manual instrument that you can hear on the last ABBA albums.

I still have all their LPs in my old collection of vinyls. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Yeah I used to enjoy Abba as well. They wrote some wonderful music. It's something about their melodies that make them last and stick in the mind. I think I lost track of them after The Album (as with the Beatles after the White Album)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:59 pm 

robert wrote:
Perhaps not as widely known is that one of the ABBA figures (Benny Andersson) has composed and produced the famous musical named as Chess (together with Tim Rice etc.) so he is still going strong and am about the most important (and richest) person in Swedish music industry. Perhaps I should send him an email about Piano Society ;).

I was musical director for a production of that show some years ago; it's a good property, the score is great but the book("libretto"), while interesting seemed out of balance to me. And also there was the problem that world events dated it very quickly.

Send Benny that email! Maybe he'll donate.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

arensky wrote:
I was musical director for a production of that show some years ago; it's a good property, the score is great but the book("libretto"), while interesting seemed out of balance to me. And also there was the problem that world events dated it very quickly.

Send Benny that email! Maybe he'll donate.... :)

At least he has money enough to do so.

Benny can actually not read scores and plays only by his ears (has his own system I guess) and that is probably while the score is pretty unusual. I have played the chess theme and the "one night in Bangkok" from the book. The chess is ok while the other scores are pretty boring to play unless you are do that in the musical.