Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Suggestion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:23 pm 

I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum but I'd like to make a suggestion that could possibly help raise funds for the society.

Could the society periodically run competitions? They could be about a particular theme, composer or piece. A small entry fee would be charged, and there could be a symbolic prize obtained from sponsors, possibly, like a book or a Pianoteq license. The prize could also be a small cash amount, distributed through paypal possibly, maybe a percentage of the amount obtained from the entry fees.

Maybe someone has already had this idea before and it was turned down for some reason, but it occurred to me, and I thought I'd share.

Marcelo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

hmmm....that is an interesting idea, Marcelo. I'll have to ponder that for awhile. Wonder who the judges would be?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:54 pm 

The judges could be the member artists of the society. Or a pre-selected panel of judges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 pm 

You would need to advertise because having Techie, Monmon, Alf, you, and the few others who submit recordings wouldn't bee too much of a competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm 

:-)

While flattered, I don't think I belong among the group you mentioned.

This(these) particular competition(s) would aim mostly at raising funds for the society and the prize would probably not be a large cash amount, so participation would be encouraged on the grounds of contributing, and not to make money.

As the Baron of Coubertin would say, It is important not to win, but to compete.

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:09 am 

pianolady wrote:
hmmm....that is an interesting idea, Marcelo. I'll have to ponder that for awhile. Wonder who the judges would be?

Well, I was thinking admins...but if you guys would like to enter rather than judge, I'll be a judge (if you like - no offense taken if you don't want me), since I can't afford to enter and don't have recording equipment anyway. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:31 am 

Having a "fundraising competition" sounds like a really neat idea... I might consider "contributing" if you all decided to do something like that.

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Admin

I hugely dislike the idea of a competition here. This has been discussed before, I believe, and we always decided against it. IMO competitions are useless and unrealistic at the best of times (except perhaps as a springboard for candidate top artists), and when people don't play live but only submit recordings there is no way to properly judge it. He/she who has polished the piece the longest will probably win (which rules me out hahaha, but I don't mind that). Also, those good at editing would have an advantage, whether you like that idea or not. I would certainly be tempted to iron out more creases on the computer. And there would be endless discussions about whether an edit is audible or not.

The idea of a jury from withing the forum also does not appeal to me. I don't believe anybody here is unbiased as we know each other too well.

Lastly, I don't see how exactly this could be fundraising. Better just to donate if you have not already done so, instead of making more work.

Actually the donation program works a treat so far. Not sure whether this will be the case the following year, but there's reason to be optimistic. Seems like many people genuinely care for this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 pm 

I see your points are well made. Anyway, it was just an idea.