Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

s_winitsky wrote:
I have to admit thought there seems a bit if irony here since I first heard of pianoteq via pianosociety!

AFAIK, we have the PianoTeq link because they have donated some money towards that. See it as advertisement, not as something that we necessarily like or even agree with :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:57 pm 

techneut wrote:
s_winitsky wrote:
I have to admit thought there seems a bit if irony here since I first heard of pianoteq via pianosociety!

AFAIK, we have the PianoTeq link because they have donated some money towards that. See it as advertisement, not as something that we necessarily like or even agree with :wink:

Right. These guys for one, call attention to their class action on Google AdWords! :lol:

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Now you have really outsmarted me Alf. I have no clue what you mean and where the connection is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 pm 

techneut wrote:
Now you have really outsmarted me Alf. I have no clue what you mean and where the connection is.

Really? Well, they pay Google to advertise a class action where Google itself is the defendant. Don't you find it ironic? I do! But business is business.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:29 pm 

Sometimes too I wonder at the clean and precise sound of my electric piano ; but then I get to play on a good old heavy Steinway, and the feel of the ivories, the hugeness of the sound just dwarf the eletric piano for all its merits.

Regarding VST, I don't get whether you change the sound real time or post-play : when using VST in real time, I have quite an horrible latency (250-500 ms) which make it unplayable. And then unless you just want to make a cute recording, that makes VST useless to me ; one of the reason why I hate MIDI is because it seems that it NEVER exactly reproduces what you did. A simple electric piano with a line-in recording device, or an accoustic with nice recording equipement is much more faithful to the performance.
Also, changing the sound after you played is quite a huge edit to make I think ; the dynamics you used, some legato and rubato, it will vary greatly depending on the instrument you play. Even on my electric piano, varying reverberation will completly change my playing, as will changing the voice. For instance, I like to emphasize deeper bass lines, and I hate high and bright chime-like notes, so depending on the instrument voice I will not play the same. Those edits, I'd say, make your final result more akin to eletronic music than classical one.
In the end it merely depends on what you intend to share I guess ; a perfect studio-like performance, or your personnal performance (a question which is not unlike the ones on faithfulness to score and composer intention versus performer individuality and choices).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:49 pm 

In the above case it was actually all real-time. I used pianoteq and the ASIO drivers which at least seemed to have no noticeable latency (admittedly my first time using pianoteq.) I admit you may get different results with different software and hardware configs.

Also you will see on the pianoteq website youtube videos of people using a similar config with no noticeable latency playing in real time. Not that I am trying to promote pianoteq!

I would say though there was no post editing in my recording above. Just a different piano sound then usual. I realize this is a bit of a touchy topic… Just an amateur piano player trying to get a nice recording :)

Teddy wrote:
Sometimes too I wonder at the clean and precise sound of my electric piano ; but then I get to play on a good old heavy Steinway, and the feel of the ivories, the hugeness of the sound just dwarf the eletric piano for all its merits.

Regarding VST, I don't get whether you change the sound real time or post-play : when using VST in real time, I have quite an horrible latency (250-500 ms) which make it unplayable. And then unless you just want to make a cute recording, that makes VST useless to me ; one of the reason why I hate MIDI is because it seems that it NEVER exactly reproduces what you did. A simple electric piano with a line-in recording device, or an accoustic with nice recording equipement is much more faithful to the performance.
Also, changing the sound after you played is quite a huge edit to make I think ; the dynamics you used, some legato and rubato, it will vary greatly depending on the instrument you play. Even on my electric piano, varying reverberation will completly change my playing, as will changing the voice. For instance, I like to emphasize deeper bass lines, and I hate high and bright chime-like notes, so depending on the instrument voice I will not play the same. Those edits, I'd say, make your final result more akin to eletronic music than classical one.
In the end it merely depends on what you intend to share I guess ; a perfect studio-like performance, or your personnal performance (a question which is not unlike the ones on faithfulness to score and composer intention versus performer individuality and choices).

Post subject: midi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 am 

I have also just been playing with this, and I can use it with FruityLoops on my desktop and that's pretty fun. Then I also have finale on my laptop. I'm trying to get the usb cable to read on my windows laptop 2000. The driver 2.3.1, I believe, is installed in my laptop. It says it's working properly, but the usb cable doesn't show up in the finale2005b midi input. If you could or anyone else could help, that'd be great!
Thanks