Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: mazurka op33/2 revised version.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:31 pm 

Ok guys, i did little more refinement this time, and more aacent on third beat and a better articluation at the ending bits. Please have your say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:43 am 

well johnmar,

I listen to it it's pritty good I could here one mistake am I right?

I think that the tempi is a bit irregular could you tell me how that comes?

for the rest very good my friend!

gr,

robert

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:13 am 
Site Admin

There's certainly more than one mistake but that is not what's bothering me here. It's that strange irregular tempo as rachmaninoff remarked. It sounds incredibly jerky, as if no two notes have the same value. I think that is the same I picked on in the previous version, and it does not seem to have improved much. Your touch is a bit wimpy in that some of the notes are not being heard (whereas I think you probably do play them).

If you could just play it in time it would be so much better, and you could then work on developing dynamics, rubato, phrasing, and pedal usage. I keep repeating my mantra - do not try rubato until you can play all the right notes in strict tempo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 am 

Yes, I have the same opinion regarding the uneven rhythm. It does not sound like rubato, it sounds uneven, excuse me for saying it that frankly. I would recommend to practise with metronome, but important: put the metronome on quarter notes, not bars. And only if you can play it simple plain and even on right and left hand, to go for a rubato what is based on the feeling for the melody, like the great Roberto Carnevale recordings show.

So as example the very first bar (after the offbeat). The right hand 2nd, 4th, 6th 8th notes are almost randomly between the quarter notes. It sounds almost like parts of trioles instead 8th notes.

Beside the rhythm issue, the ornaments in right hand (like in 2nd bar and other places) sound much better to me if you play the ornament before the beat and the main note with the beat. That is the "default" Chopinesque ornament playing style (as opposite to the baroque style where the ornament start with the beat), and sounds more fluid that way.

I recognized that you long for dynamical playing, and I heard only few unimportant minor slips, but the rhythm thing overshadows unfortunately the efforts you start otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 pm 

thank everyone,,, well I can not target all audience cannot I.

I have sent this file to my other musical friends , they liked my playing but still need improvement on b flat section. the dotted rthythm- dotted d note.

Yes, my weird tempo up and down= to a point...let me expain why?

there are three ways of accent the third beat 1) make it louder 2) make it longer 3) a plause-stop

Not being defensive but rather honest;
I deleberate to slow entry on the third beat to give the "audience" an awareness of being accenturated. But I have to make up my lost tempo with increase in tempo in some sections.

Because of that(above), perhaps the audience thinks my tempo is up the creek. But never mind. This is just a fact of life.... :lol:

Perhaps, my art interpretation is too extreme and overly exagerrated.

Thanks again for your valuable feed back. I liked very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Because of that(above), perhaps the audience thinks my tempo is up the creek.

It is - no matter what logical explanation you might have. It just does not sound right. Any serious critic will tell you the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:31 pm 

I'd have to agree with Chris, also. It sounds more like a broken waltz than a mazurka. I would advise more metronomic practice and figure out how to use rubato without affecting the overall tempo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:55 pm 

never mind...........never mind......it sounds good to me at least........I dnt want end up like Van gaugh. never mind. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:26 am 

I liked it. But...

There is one glaring omission; metric stability. I can usually tell if a student of mine has been counting the meter; I'll venture a guess that you have not. You must make a habit of slow, controlled, metronomically super-accurate practice. The first task is to get the whole thing even, in 3/4 meter, without vasilating the tempo! If you do this, in the space of just a week, not only will this Mazurka feel easier, it will sound lots better! COUNT OUT LOUD!

You have a good artistic instinct. Aim to fuse this artistic instinct with scientific rigor.

I look forward to your next recording.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Johnmar, I agree with everybody else about the rhythm. One thing I would like to hear more if you continue to work on this piece is to make the ornaments (trills or mordents, can't remember how it's written) clearer. I like to hear both notes clearly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:23 pm 

thank you every one. I will work more accurately in 3/4 time. and counting 1,2,3 for a week or so.
Once its done.

When I perform or record again,

and I will slow down on bflat section. and acclerando on the 3 third section(RH g and d) and back to tempo I in the fourth section. The ending might just stays the same as now.