Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Thirteenth Van Cliburn Piano Competition
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:51 am 

Just in case some of you weren't aware, the thirteenth Van Cliburn Piano Competition is upon us! It's running May 22nd through June 7. If you're interested in watching some of the performances, they have live web broadcasts available:

http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=broadcasts

Have fun watching those poor young pianists sweat! :D

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:47 pm 

I CANT WAIT!

I'm gonna be there watching :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:06 pm 

diminished2nd wrote:
I CANT WAIT!

I'm gonna be there watching :D

Are you going to have a chance to attend the competition in person? If so I'm really....envious! :D :D

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:08 pm 

Yeah I'm waiting to get my tickets in the mail...

Now, for coming up with the money for a hotel room for 20 days :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:38 pm 

Oh, diminished2nd, what an opportunity! That is so exciting. But yeah, I reckon coughing up the cashola for the hotel stay will be one of the least exciting aspects of attending the competition. :D

Seriously now… do keep me updated on what you see and hear! I’d really like to listen to another person’s perspective on the whole experience. I might be able to attend once or twice during the whole event (I live about an hour away), but since I’m studying for an exam during that time I’m thinking I’ll be doing most of my watching from the webcam. Who says you can’t study and watch at the same time? :D :wink: Anyway, have the time of your life at the competition!

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 am 

I'm sure I will! Except for being away from my piano and practicing for 2 1/2 weeks.......... :(

We'll have wi-fi in our hotel I assume, so I can put up comments on most of the recitals probably :P it should be a lot of fun! I especially can't wait for the quintets... I LOVE the quintets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 pm 

Great, I'm really looking forward to your comments! I love the quintets too... particularly the Brahms. It is so lovely. I'm thinking of learning the two-piano version for a recital next year, provided the gal I'd like to play it with isn't too busy.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 pm 

there's a two piano version of it?

!

I looove the scherzo from that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 am 

diminished2nd wrote:
there's a two piano version of it?

Yes, there is! I think the story behind the evolution of the piece is that it was originally conceived as a string quartet; however, Clara Schumann persuaded Brahms that it would be more prudent to reshape it into a two-piano version. She didn't exactly like that either and set Brahms to make it into a piano quintet. Quite a fussy woman! After all that, she tried to coerce the poor composer to make it into a symphony but he declined. I would too! :roll:

I love Argerich and Zilberstein's recording of the two-piano work - it makes me wish more than ever that I could play with just half of the enthusiasm and expression that those two do. Not that wishing will get me anywhere... :lol:

diminished2nd wrote:
I looove the scherzo from that one

You like the scherzo too? It's my absolute favorite of the four movements! I've wondered if it could be played alone, as it seems plenty enthralling by itself, but unfortunately it ends on the dominant. I wonder how that could be fixed as to be inconspicuous? I've played around with it a bit and haven't really come up with much that's eminently satisfactory. Any ideas?

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:20 am 

diminished2nd's sig:
Quote:
The sentence below this is false.
The sentence above this is true.

That may be the funniest sig line ever. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:41 pm 

Just got back from the 1st recital w/ the first 3 people's programs. Natacha Kudritskaya, Stephen Beus, and Ran Dank played. I would rank them 3-1-2 personally, but everyone else I've talked to seems to think it should be 3-2-1. Stephen was ABSOLUTELY amazing... He knew what he wanted to communicate with every note, and exactly how he wanted to communicate those things really clearly.

there's a live stream of all the recitals at www.cliburn.tv, btw, and after the recitals they're archiving it so you can watch it "on demand" I guess... everyone here should definitely check out Stephen and Ran once they're archived. Ran's Liszt was really incredible as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:20 am 

I'm watching Mr. Tierra right now. Will check out the others once they are archived.

It's great you are able to attend! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:39 am 

diminished2nd wrote:
Just got back from the 1st recital w/ the first 3 people's programs. Natacha Kudritskaya, Stephen Beus, and Ran Dank played. I would rank them 3-1-2 personally, but everyone else I've talked to seems to think it should be 3-2-1. Stephen was ABSOLUTELY amazing... He knew what he wanted to communicate with every note, and exactly how he wanted to communicate those things really clearly.

I agree wholeheartedly! I really hope he makes it to the next round.

Thanks for the update!

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:23 pm 

sarah wrote:
diminished2nd wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly! I really hope he makes it to the next round.

Thanks for the update!

And unfortunately he didn't. :( The jury cut both Beus and Spencer Myer. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:06 pm 

Horowitzian wrote:
And unfortunately he didn't. :( The jury cut both Beus and Spencer Myer. :shock:

I've been in mourning the whole day. :cry: They were two of my favorites... and Beus was my very favorite. Goodness, wonder what the jury was thinking. :roll: And one of the two pianists I detested got in the semis (don't worry, I don't plan to reveal their identity). :D The competition has already been quite a ride! I wonder what will happen next...

Felix Mendelssohn