Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Download suggestion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:50 am 

If the download possibility is used for postings, it would be great for listening, if the mp3 file could be saved. In my case, I have a headphone with USB connector for mp3 file listening and would like to store the mp3 files directly via right click "Save As" on the download file to the headphone.

Unfortunately, only some postings like those from Chris or files from external links have the mp3 suffix on the file so that it works directly. All other files in the audition room have the file name "download.php". Finally I did the trick to store the download.php file and renamed it with mp3 suffix so to be able to listen to. It would be great if it has already the mp3 suffix so no renaming is necessary. Is a change possible?

Post subject: Re: Download suggestion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Unfortunately, only some postings like those from Chris or files from external links have the mp3 suffix on the file so that it works directly.

Hehehe... that is because Robert and I (being admins) put our stuff directly into the live area. Saves work and disk space.

But I do not see what the problem is. I always use 'Save target as' on the attachments, and it saves the file as an mp3 allright. Maybe the problem is with your browser ?

The attachment module is a standard phpbb plugin which we'd rather not have to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:24 am 

Yes, I can also use the "Save As" possibility. However I need to actively rename the file "download.php" in e.g. "download.mp3", because otherwise it will be saved as download.php, what no media player or something else knows. I only asked why it is not always the correct filename, instead it is "download.php". If you use a standard plug in what cannot be configured that way, or makes trouble to change, let it as it is. One only needs to know that the file "download.php" must be actively renamed as mp3 file so that it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yes, I can also use the "Save As" possibility. However I need to actively rename the file "download.php" in e.g. "download.mp3", because otherwise it will be saved as download.php, what no media player or something else knows.

I don't see why you have to do that and I don't. No such problem with IE (it knows the proper name of the mp3 file) but I guess you are using Firefox, or... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:38 pm 

Yes, I use Firefox, and unfortunately, I cannot select in the combo box of the save dialog to choose mp3 files (only "all files"), therefore I have to actively change the default name download.php into a useful mp3 name.

And you are right, that problem does not occur with IE, here it is like you said, and I can store the file with right name without any name changes. Strange! Maybe there is a Firefox add-on I have to install? I dunno :roll: