Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: what composing software do you use.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm 

Hi Guys,

I had a music composition software based on old operationg system, and its out dated. Not able to open on window XP.

I was wondering can you guys recommend an easy user friedly software that I can compose just for piano. And also can be binded as "PDF" files??

Please provide me the links....

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:50 am 

I wish I could help, but I don't use composing software. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 pm 

The program I use for music composing is MidiNotate Composer (http://www.notation.com/NotationComposer.htm). I don't do a great deal of composing, but on the occasions when I've needed to use the program it has worked fairly well. Several of my more computer-savvy musical friends use Noteworthy Composer (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/) and speak very highly of it, but I have no experience with that software so I'm not sure if they're telling the truth or lying through their teeth. :D

In MidiNotate Composer you can select the option of composing for just piano, and I think you have that choice in Noteworthy Composer as well. I do not know if these programs have PDF-saving capabilities or not.

Disclaimer: the statements above have been written by a technologically challenged individual and have not been evaluated by a more knowledgeable person. Proceed at your own risk. :lol:

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:26 pm 

thanks Sarah and PFJ. I do a manual sketch first just like when I do my drawings when composing. I will later transfer to computer when the final desion is made. and thanks again Sarah, I will be getting one.

Cheers from Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:29 am 
Hi, I use FINALE, its a notation software: http://finalemusic.com/ it let you enter notes of various instruments really fast, I would say it support most musical terms, and also does play back. The two pieces I post are written using this software, and its playback, though it lack human emotion (and mistake). - CYTONG

Post subject: software
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 pm 

I use finale 2005b and have converted the files to pdf creator which is a free program You can get a free version of finale notepad by going to the finale website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 am 

Finale 2009 here. Love it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:13 pm 

Quote:
No one uses Sibelius?

I have Sibelius 4 for PC and Logic Pro 8 for Mac. It's great once you configure your MIDI keyboard to the the notation software. You have to make sure you have the correct versions of your MIDI drivers. The notation software introduced within the past 4 years should suffice for most piano or small ensemble compositions, so you don't need the latest and greatest - things can get complicated very quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:14 am 

MuseScore seems to get the job done for me. It has a very friendly and comprehensive interface as well as midi compatibility I believe. It's also open-source, so it works on Linux as well as Windows. What more can you ask for without paying a penny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 am 

E. Drazil wrote:
No one uses Sibelius?

I prefer Sibelius, Finale is also good, but for me is Sibelius more intuitive since I have no time to read the endless manuals. Generally I think it doesnt matter which notation software you use, but it should be able to play it real time, so you can immediatelly correct the typing errors, which happens easilly (e.g. by transposing instruments :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:08 pm 

Pukino777 wrote:
E. Drazil wrote:
No one uses Sibelius?

I prefer Sibelius, Finale is also good, but for me is Sibelius more intuitive since I have no time to read the endless manuals. Generally I think it doesnt matter which notation software you use, but it should be able to play it real time, so you can immediatelly correct the typing errors, which happens easilly (e.g. by transposing instruments :-)

It was the other way around for me. :D

;)

I use Finale 2009 on a Mac running OS 10.5.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 pm 

when I discovered the Open Source MuseScore, I quit Finale.
I really recommend it! and it's free.

http://www.musescore.org/