Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
alf wrote:
Terez wrote:
Mozart exposes technical weaknesses; Chopin exposes your soul. :wink:

It is exactly the opposite, Terez.

Is it then? I don't feel too terribly exposed when playing Mozart, but that's just me. With Chopin, I have to pretend like you're not there. ;)

Alfie wrote:
Anyway, Monica and Terez, I'll record that Nocturne sooner or later, but want a row of serious remarks from you then!

Aye, you'll get them. I'm sure it will be perfect though - you'd never submit anything less. I have a prediction: technically perfect, stylistically quite tasteful, if tame. :lol:

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am
Posts: 224
alf wrote:
Horowitzian wrote:
I actually rather like Hanon.


Good grief.

Horowitzian wrote:
But YMMV. :wink:


Definitely! :lol:


:lol: :lol:

Well, I wouldn't be as technically proficient as I am without Hanon. :wink: It is rather repetitive, so I generally don't do more than, say, 10 of them in one day before moving on to the "real music". :) What was your bad experience with Hanon? I hope it wasn't an injury from overdoing it.

_________________
Best regards,
Horowitzian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am
Posts: 224
Terez wrote:
Horowitzian wrote:
I've noticed that quotes are a bit dodgy on here. How do you get them to work properly every time? :?:

Disable HTML, either by checking a box in the post submission, or permanently in your profile.


Thanks, I just did that! I've never seen HTML interfere with BB code before. :?

_________________
Best regards,
Horowitzian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8494
Horowitzian wrote:

Pianolady, do you have Mr. Mohr's book, My Life With the Great Pianists? It has a lot of interesting stories about his work with Horwitz, Cliburn, Rubinstein, and Gilels; as well as his own personal life story. And that Moscow recital is simply incredible! 8) I've never been to any of Mr. Mohr's talks, but I've heard about them.


Yes, I do have that book. I bought it from him when I went to his talk. He seems to come around my home town often. But of course that's because of the big Steinway dealer located here. :wink:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am
Posts: 224
pianolady wrote:
Horowitzian wrote:

Pianolady, do you have Mr. Mohr's book, My Life With the Great Pianists? It has a lot of interesting stories about his work with Horwitz, Cliburn, Rubinstein, and Gilels; as well as his own personal life story. And that Moscow recital is simply incredible! 8) I've never been to any of Mr. Mohr's talks, but I've heard about them.


Yes, I do have that book. I bought it from him when I went to his talk. He seems to come around my home town often. But of course that's because of the big Steinway dealer located here. :wink:


It's one of my favorite books I've ever bought. If he ever comes around here, I'm going to get him to sign it. Has he ever come around with Horowitz's piano? I've sworn to myself that I will play that piano at least once. 8)

_________________
Best regards,
Horowitzian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 1167
Location: Piemonte, Italy
Teresina wrote:
alf wrote:
Terez wrote:
Mozart exposes technical weaknesses; Chopin exposes your soul. :wink:

It is exactly the opposite, Terez.

Is it then? I don't feel too terribly exposed when playing Mozart, but that's just me. With Chopin, I have to pretend like you're not there. ;)


Let me partially amend my reply: to me, it is just the opposite.

Teresina wrote:
Alfie wrote:
Anyway, Monica and Terez, I'll record that Nocturne sooner or later, but want a row of serious remarks from you then!

Aye, you'll get them. I'm sure it will be perfect though - you'd never submit anything less. I have a prediction: technically perfect, stylistically quite tasteful, if tame. :lol:


Your crystal ball is quite talkative, isn't it? Did you know that Chopin himself was pretty a tame guy? :P

_________________
"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking" - Anonymous

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 1167
Location: Piemonte, Italy
Horowitzian wrote:
Well, I wouldn't be as technically proficient as I am without Hanon. :wink:


Are you really sure you're pinpointing the cause of your proficiency? :wink:

Look at what kind of mechanism you develop practicing what is pompously called "The virtuoso pianist", then consider the endless piano literature and what it asks for (even in the easiest pieces). "Hanon" is little more than 5-finger mindless exercises in parallel motion. Pretty useless under every respect.

Horowitzian wrote:
It is rather repetitive, so I generally don't do more than, say, 10 of them in one day before moving on to the "real music". :) What was your bad experience with Hanon? I hope it wasn't an injury from overdoing it.


No injuries in my case, luckly I've never had problems of that kind. On the other hand, I've never overdone piano practice so I don't feel I'm especially smart about it.

_________________
"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking" - Anonymous

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.


Last edited by alf on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
alf wrote:
Did you know that Chopin himself was pretty a tame guy? :P

Indeed. I also know that he preferred the way Liszt played his music, so long as he played what was on the page. :lol:

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 1167
Location: Piemonte, Italy
Terez wrote:
alf wrote:
Did you know that Chopin himself was pretty a tame guy? :P

Indeed. I also know that he preferred the way Liszt played his music, so long as he played what was on the page. :lol:


AFAIK, Chopin admired the way Liszt played the Etudes. The Nocturnes were Chopin's realm and nobody else's.

_________________
"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking" - Anonymous

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
I don't recall having read that, but I trust you. I do know that he didn't like the way other people played the mazurkas, though. 8)

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello and introduction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am
Posts: 224
alf wrote:
Horowitzian wrote:
Well, I wouldn't be as technically proficient as I am without Hanon. :wink:


Are you really sure you're pinpointing the cause of your proficiency? :wink:

Look at what kind of mechanism you develop practicing what is pompously called "The virtuoso pianist", then consider the endless piano literature and what it asks for (even in the easiest pieces). "Hanon" is little more than 5-finger mindless exercises in parallel motion. Pretty useless under every respect.

Horowitzian wrote:
It is rather repetitive, so I generally don't do more than, say, 10 of them in one day before moving on to the "real music". :) What was your bad experience with Hanon? I hope it wasn't an injury from overdoing it.


No injuries in my case, luckly I've never had problems of that kind. On the other hand, I've never overdone piano practice so I don't feel I'm especially smart about it.


I'm glad to hear you didn't have any injuries. 8)

Since I was a rather late beginner, Hanon combined with scales, arpeggios, and basic harmony helped me overcome those missed years of early training. Even so, like I said, YMMV.:wink:

_________________
Best regards,
Horowitzian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am
Posts: 224
Terez wrote:
I don't recall having read that, but I trust you. I do know that he didn't like the way other people played the mazurkas, though. 8)


I always have wondered what he would have thought of Horowitz's playing of Mazurkas. 8)

_________________
Best regards,
Horowitzian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 1167
Location: Piemonte, Italy
Terez wrote:
I don't recall having read that, but I trust you. I do know that he didn't like the way other people played the mazurkas, though. 8)


Performance-wise Chopin's Mazurkas are still a mistery today.

_________________
"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking" - Anonymous

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Yah, Chopin always said that the manner of playing them was a Polish thing (imagine that).

Has anyone heard Zimerman play mazurkas? I've only seen him play the bigger stuff, but speaking of the bigger stuff, he's of course done the concertos with the PFO, and the 3rd movement of the F minor concerto is a bit mazurkish in places, and he seems to have experimented with that Polish way of interpreting them in that movement.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:43 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8494
Terez wrote:
Yah, Chopin always said that the manner of playing them was a Polish thing (imagine that).

Has anyone heard Zimerman play mazurkas? I've only seen him play the bigger stuff, but speaking of the bigger stuff, he's of course done the concertos with the PFO, and the 3rd movement of the F minor concerto is a bit mazurkish in places, and he seems to have experimented with that Polish way of interpreting them in that movement.


Check this out, Terez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmKlYayg ... s&hl=en&q=


He could be Chopin, himself! Image (except I don't like some of the facial expressions)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group