Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:29 am 

Ah Juuf, that is too bad! Yes, Rigoletto is a story of Lust/Love/Betrayal/Tragic Death (not necessarily
in that order). Perhaps one day you will change your mind about opera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:47 am 

Don't misunderstand me; I enjoy listening to Opera. But I don't want to become a master of knowing everything about Opera. I'd rather just be a peanut in the gallery of peanuts who enjoys good music and nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:00 pm 

I printed out and am going through the Andante Quartet from Rigoletto and have a question about it. Since I have no teacher, I am on my own to figure out how to play certain parts of compositions and sometimes it sounds good to me, but when I hear it professionally played, I hear that my note values are way off.

Therefore, how do I play the left hand part in the "poco et poco accelerando"? I'm used to Tchaikovsky's Neopolitan Dance from the Album for the Youth, is this just an inversion of the dance?

Any commentary will greatly help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Do have a link or attachment/scan of the piece?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:22 am 

Excellent choice for a Valentine's Day piano party. The four voices of the quartet are the lustful and
unrepentent lech the Duke, Rigoletto the hunchbacked court jester, Gilda, his beautiful and
innocent daughter and a tavern wench named Maddalena. The duke is serenading Maddalena
in order to woo her (after he has already had and forgotten Gilda), but Gilda mistakenly thinks the
song is for her and she is singing about her love for the Duke. Rigoletto is singing his warnings
to Gilda about the Duke and Maddalena is responding to the Duke's serenade. Only a few minutes
later Gilda ends up dead in a horrible case of intentional mistaken identity and Rigoletto is
crushed because of his folly. All the elements of great opera right in one scene!

Good luck with the playing of it Juuf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:14 am 

pianolady wrote:
Do have a link or attachment/scan of the piece?

Sorry about that: http://imslp.org/wiki/Rigoletto_%28Verdi%2C_Giuseppe%29

it's the first hyperlink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Break the beat into fourths (sixteenths) so you count 1-e-+-a (one-ee-and-ah).

So the LH comes down on 1-e-+ and then holds through the a(ah) until the next down beat. Hope that makes sense.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:15 am 

Love songs, doesn't each individual classical(i know it's a broad term to use) piece have love and sentimentality embedded into it. You might try Liszt's Valse Impromptu or or his Transcedental Etude no 10. Schumann's introduction and Allegro opus 92. Chopin's ballade opus 23 no 1, or his Nocturne opus 27 no 1. My personal favorite which is often seen as devilish, but is extraordinarily meaningful in my opinion, is Scriabin's Sonata opus 53 no 5. You could always give Schubert's Serenade a crack though, because it isn't awfully technical and lord knows it is quite a composition.

That's about all i can give off the top of my head. Have a good one, friend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:33 pm 

Hoi Luke,

I see that you have recently joined the site. Welcome! And with time you will begin to understand everyone's skill from the prolific contributors, to the once-a-quarter virtuosos, and to the regular peanuts like me. I would enjoy playing Chopin's ballades, or Liszt's etudes or even the Schubert piece, but I cannot because I know my skill level and these compositions are out of my league.

Even this Quartet piece is giving me trouble (partly because I never heard it before).

Anyways, welcome to the site and thank you for your suggestions even if they fall short of making an impression :wink:

-Julius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:45 pm 

:lol: I'm not that prolific :lol: I agree that the etude and Valse impromptu of liszt are quite demanding.
Why not try Scriabin's Sonata opus 2 no 19 first movement? The second movement is insane but the first is incredibly beautiful and rather easier. The second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is awfully good also(i know i'm sorry for pulling out such an obvious piece). And forgive me for seeming so frank, but Clair De Lune of course would fit wonderously. Sibelius also wrote some rather romantic piano pieces. Mendolsohnn's first piano concerto is also a favorite. Please correct me if none of these are appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 am 

Piece #1 in the latest game is a Romance. It is quite easy, technically.