Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Now what?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm 

Hello all,

As some of you probably know, I withdrew from Graduate School in October. Ever since I've been looking for jobs in this crappy economy. I found a job as a writer for the local hospitals (ProHealth Care Inc.), but when I submitted my resume, I immediately received a message stating that the job has been filled.

I have been idle for 3 months and have decided to just get any job. So I applied for a sales associate position for a photo-studio. Well, turns out that I did not get that job either. The position doesn't even require a college degree or photo experience (of which I have both).

So now I turn to all of you for suggestions on what I should do. Not necessarily what jobs I should look for, but to answer this (these) question(s):

My resume is sparse, with no internship experience and no real jobs (I changed light bulbs when I was in college for $8/hr).

I've been considering that I should volunteer my time either in the AmeriCorps or even the PeaceCorps (the former is anywhere from 1 month to 1 year, and the latter is a 27month commitment). Because not only would I be helping someone else in need, but I would also be gaining life experience and something to put on my resume to stand out from everyone else.

My second flirting idea is to use my father's connections in Poland and move there for a while to teach English at the local schools (technical, business, small colleges, etc) until the economy here stabilizes (if it will ever) and shows signs of resprouting.

I know I am a young kid and some of you have life and work experience as twice as many years as I am alive. So that's why I come here and give my story so that you could possibly take some time and share your wisdom with me.

I know that ultimately I will have to make the decision for myself, whatever it may be, but my listening to others whom are more experienced, I can gain more insight and make a better, wiser decision.

Thank you all for your time.

-Unemployed Stooge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:57 am 

Juuf, have you considered the U.S. Navy? When I was your age (I'm 42 now)
I had the chance to be a nuclear engineer in the Navy (those guys make good
money) but I passed it up. Now I can't get enough submarine movies and
often regret not going that way. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, the recruiter promised me I could take a piano on the submarine.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:10 am 

Juuf, can you not get a job teaching English? Even if you end up teaching remedial English to a 7th grade public school class that has more bling than pants that fit, do what feeds your family.

Or even better SUBSTITUTE teach! Subs get paid an awful lot for very little actual work. I strongly suggest looking aggressively into that. Search nationally, not just locally. Get used to the idea you'll likely have to move someplace far away. Hopefully not to another country.

Have you considered tutoring college English majors? I teach/tutor and make an adequate living off of that. You should get at least 20 or 30 bucks an hour doing that sort of thing but clientèle turnover is very high.

But seriously, my thoughts and even my prayers are with you and your family, (you have kids, no?) You've got a real tough decision weighing on you.

PS:You don't even need to be certified to sub! (At least in Louisiana) I've done it a few times, and I don't have any teaching certification whatsoever. Look into small private schools; sometimes they're lacking degreed teachers and would jump at the idea of you joining.

Just be aggressive, don't give up and remember, sometimes you gotta just do something beneath you (custodial work for example) to get by.

I wish you the best of luck and prosperity, man.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:28 pm 

Brian: A dutch friend of mine (not Breemer :roll: ) is consistantly asking if I have ever considered joining the Navy. I have. However, I've reached an impass with my family. They (parents) said that if I join the armed forces, they will disown me. And my parents were serious. Even if I don't see combat. (I know you are joking about piano playing in a submarine; imagine the enemy sub listening in and reports hearing Rachmaninov's C#min prelude coming from the starboard side. How diabolical would that be? :lol: )

Pete: I was majoring in Secondary Education (and English) but decided to quit because I had no enjoyment out of it. That was a year and a half ago. Upon leaving Marquette U., I told my advisors that I never completely dismissed the idea of teaching, however, at current times I was too immature, too inexperienced in content and in life. Teaching is a noble profession, and I think I should learn more before I try my bid at it.

In the area, there are no openings. Franklin Public School System had one position open for a full-time High School English teacher and 460-some applicants applied. Currently there are no sub openings in the greater area because school is already in session.

Me? Family? Married? Kids of my own? HAHAHA! Is it April 1st already? I have put that not on the proverbial backburner, I've completely taken it off the stove. Pursuing a woman and starting a family is not a priority in my life. If I go about living my life as a single man, then so be it.

I couldn't imagine being in this situation with a family of my own. In a way I am very fortunate that I do not because then my life would not be a "me show", rather it would be a "for them show". Without a family to care for and feed, I can pretty much do as I please.

The question is is that I need to find something and start there even if it is at the bottom. I am young, family-less, and debt-free (but hardly any money in the bank :x )

Thank you both for your wisdom.

-Jules Vern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm 

If it were me and I were young and free, I would take that option to go to Poland. If you don't like it, you can come back to the U.S.
-N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:38 am 

Yeah J, I was under the erroneous assumption that you had kids. You don't have debt? No wifey? You are a free man!

Go grab life by the jugular! (And send pictures from Poland*.)

*But before you go, consider doing some kind of work (are there openings at your local library?) for a year or so to get yourself a savings account going. You really should have at least 6 months of living expenses ready to go, just in case you can't find work. The last thing you want to do is get in a situation where you need to rely on credit cards.

If you allow me to go Suze Orman on you: do you have a retirement account set up yet? You're still in your 20s, even small investments ($50 a month) in a Roth IRA today, would be hugely magnified via compound interest by the time you reach old age. (Do it now, or you'll regret it later!) Think of a Roth IRA as a reverse credit card. Go to vanguard.com today! If you want any advice in the investment dept, just ask me.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:55 am 

Ah yes, the paradox of credit cards:

I don't have credit cards because I cannot get one because I don't have a credit history. Well how can I establish credit history without credit cards? :roll:

If the cards were played right, I would be living with my grandmother in Poland, so living expenses would not be a concern. Just to pitch in for food and do my share of chores. (But that isn't bad because she has a two room apartment, maybe 300sq feet total).

I am also eyeing Spain as a place to go to share my language. However, then you are right, I would need money saved up because I would be entirely on my own.

Also a fifth option would be to save up money (somehow) and go back to school. But not in the US. Sweden pays for schooling, all I need to do is show that I have money to support myself (law is $10,000 a year minimum).

I would do a Roth IRA, but as of now, Petey, I have negative cash flow.

First things first: I need to develop positive cash flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:14 pm 

You're right, first things first. Just don't do third things second! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:01 am 

Go to Poland! :idea: Although i may just be saying that because i have never had the opportunity to get out of the united states, or even to hawaii...