Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: nail care
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm 

So yesterday morning, I trimmed my nails and I had a lot of free time to play piano, so I did that. Towards the end of the fifth hour, I had to stop because my fingers started to bleed under the nails. Now the tips of my second and fourth fingers on my right hand can't really play until they heal, so after spending only five hours at the keys, I can't play for about a week now (hopefully less).

What do you guys do about trimming your nails, so something like this doesn't happen? I don't trim them that frequently, so I think I just cut them too short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, that sounds yucky! You definitely cut your nails too short!! I don't cut mine at all - I just watch something scary or exciting on TV and then they are gone. :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm 

HAHA!

I do bite my nails, but I don't typically bite the fourth and first fingers... So snip those, and just trim the rest... and I trimmed too much

Basically, I'm wondering a good amount to leave on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:18 pm 

Well, I sympathize with Monica about never needing to trim one's nails... :lol: On the rare occasion when trimming is necessary, I leave a very small (only about 1/32nd of an inch) even remnant; it seems to work for me. I hope this helps - every person's hand is so different, what works for one is bound to flop for another.

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I like to keep then as short as possible, and start getting irritated by them when they get over half a millimeter long. Can't imaging how anybody can play with nails longer than that.
Haha, that reminds me of when I had lessons as a kid. My non-too subtle old teacher once or twice got out a huge pair of scissors and chopped my nails off when he thought them too long. That was horrible and I quickly learned not to go there unless properly trimmed.
Its easy to go clip just a touch too enthousiastically though, and end up with a hurting finger for days. Happened to me on occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:50 pm 

There are times, post-recital when my teacher is just so worn out from teaching six classes, piano lessons, and preparing for a recital, when he wont trim his nails for a few weeks (until the end of the semester, usually, when summer break is about to kick in)

You could hear his nails clicking on the keys. it's funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

mixah wrote:
Eeww - that grosses me out. I can't stand hearing someone's nails on the keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:16 pm 

its' only noticable during lessons. if he's playing in the recital hall rather than the studio, the acousitics amplify the piano, and not his nails...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:09 pm 

pianolady wrote:
mixah wrote:

Then stay away from many Arrau CDs. Honest.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:20 pm 

pianolady wrote:
mixah wrote:

It bothers me with typing too, especially women who have those extra-long nails. It would drive me nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
Then stay away from many Arrau CDs. Honest.

Really? That stinks. I wonder why he would think that that is ok? It's disgusting. Makes me think that the pianist hasn't bothered to shower or tend to other regular hygiene things and is sitting there with long and dirty nails clicking on the piano.

Terez wrote:
It bothers me with typing too, especially women who have those extra-long nails.

Yeah - I hate that too.

btw - you should see what I'm looking at right now. Giant snow flakes the size of a half-dollar falling gently. It's really beautiful! Merry Christmas to you Alfonso, Terez, and Mixah. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

See?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:58 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Giant snow flakes the size of a half-dollar falling gently.

I got to see that a couple of weeks ago. :D It didn't last long, alas, but it was nice. I've never seen the sky full of snow like that.

Merry Christmas to you too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting to hear people from the South talk about snow in wonderment. My friend in Florida often says that she misses the snow too. I like it for about a couple weeks and then wish if would go away.
Did you quickly build a snowman, Terez? And did you put fingernails on him? (there - now we are back on topic :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 pm 

You are right alf, those Arrau recordings of the Beethoven sonatas are irritating! Especially in
headphones.

Regarding this topic, I got in the habit back when I played bass of keeping a raspy nail file
close at hand for filing during practice. The habit has stuck with me so that now I have a file
in a cute little box on top of my piano that comes in handy when things start clicking.

Also, I have found that in addition to the sound being annoying, it gets harder and harder
to play the longer my nails get. Sometimes (I have a digital piano) my nails get stuck
in the small gap between the white and black keys. This eventually becomes a
psychological barrier to playing. Then it's time to file away.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:56 pm 

We too have had a lot of snow so far, but then temperatures raised and the snow has gone in the plain. In the mountains there has been the hugest snowfall since many many decades and the snow is all still there - great snowshoeing this winter!

We don't decorate trees at home, but here Monica puts up her ebony Christmas crib you can see in the picture. It is a Monica's father gift from Kenya. It is composed of the baby Jesus, Joseph and Mary praying, a donkey and an ox, plus a hunter with spear, you can notice that the spear lays in the corner (as in saloons in the American Old West, in a nativity scene you cannot bear weapons :lol: ). I call it the Voodoo manger, but I like keeping it around because the keyboard of my future grand might be in need of spare parts. :twisted:

Merry Christmas everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

That's nice, Alfonso. I like to see other people's things. Voodoo manger - funny! And I didn't know people still used snowshoes. Around here we cross-country ski. Boy, is that a calorie-burner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:38 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Interesting to hear people from the South talk about snow in wonderment. My friend in Florida often says that she misses the snow too. I like it for about a couple weeks and then wish if would go away.
Did you quickly build a snowman, Terez? And did you put fingernails on him? (there - now we are back on topic :lol: )

No, the snow was on my 3-exam day from hell so unfortunately I didn't have time. By the time the day was over, it was all gone. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

You can come visit me, and we can make a lot of snowmen! :)

I heard a funny story the other day about a two-story snowman someone in a nearby town (I think, or could have been Wisconsin) built in their front yard and the authorities made the people take it down because it was drawing too many crowds and causing traffic jams in the subdivision. I wonder how big the fingernails were on that snowman! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:31 am 

because this thread didn't derail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:30 am 

Yes, here too people cross-country ski, in our alp valleys, but because of the mountains people enjoy more alpine skiing, snowboarding and ski mountaineering. Snowshoeing is less common than on the French, Swiss and Austrian side of the Alps, but it’s growing.

Monica, if you feel sick hearing the old Arrau's long nails on the keys, you can pretend it is his chattering denture instead. :P

Snowmen... Calvin and Hobbes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
Monica, if you feel sick hearing the old Arrau's long nails on the keys, you can pretend it is his chattering denture instead. :P

Double gross!

Thanks for the links. I love those snowman pics and cartoons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:34 pm 

bclever wrote:
Also, I have found that in addition to the sound being annoying, it gets harder and harder
to play the longer my nails get. Sometimes (I have a digital piano) my nails get stuck
in the small gap between the white and black keys.

The same happens to me from time to time, even though I keep them about 1 mm short (except the right thumb, which I bite).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:29 am 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
The same happens to me from time to time, even though I keep them about 1 mm short (except the right thumb, which I bite).

Eew, 1 mm :shock: I could not possibly play like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 am 

techneut wrote:
alf wrote:

Eew, 1 mm :shock: I could not possibly play like that.

Now, play! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:29 am 

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Monica, how do you get this forum to display pictures like that? I've tried to do this in the "Composition" forum under "Scriabin's harmony" but can't get it to work. I used the URL from the uploaded image in an tag pair but it won't show the picture unless one is logged-in; and even then only under the attached file box. Help.

Oh, just so this isn't off topic completely. I hate my fingernails, they grow in thick and strong and if I don't cut them about once every week they're up to two or more mm!!! Talk about clicking. Maybe I could use the fingernail clicking as a background rhythm? :wink: Sometimes they catch in the slots between keys and rip painfully, so the longer they grow the slower I have to play!!! :roll:

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:10 am 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:
Monica, how do you get this forum to display pictures like that? I've tried to do this in the "Composition" forum under "Scriabin's harmony" but can't get it to work. I used the URL from the uploaded image in an tag pair but it won't show the picture unless one is logged-in; and even then only under the attached file box. Help.

I upload my photos to Flickr, a photo sharing site. Then I copy the image location (this thing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/313 ... b0678c.jpg) and stick it in-between the [img] thingamajigs.

Like this:

This is the only way that allows the photo to be viewed when you are not logged in.

Alf wrote:
Now, play!

Oh, Alfonso – I didn’t see this earlier. How gross!!! :lol:

Wait, Michael - the above photo was supposed to show the way the link works, not the photo. Grrr. Sorry. :lol: Let me know if I completely confused you and I'll try again (not to confuse you - LOL - now I'm confused.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 am 

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Monica:

A thousand thanks and a thank!!! It worked. I found that as long as it is a valid URL to an IMAGE file, it will post. Trying to post it to an introductory page won't work at all. Now people can check out the Scriabin colour wheel as well.

Oh yea ... (back on topic), ... how could anyone do ANYTHING with nails as long as those shown in that picture from alf?!!

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:
Oh yea ... (back on topic), ... how could anyone do ANYTHING with nails as long as those shown in that picture from alf?!!

Yeah, I know - I just looked at that photo again. How disgusting! Don't shake hands with that man, because you will get both your eyes poked out if you do.