Bechstein, Knight and Sponnagel?

Discuss all aspects of the piano and other keyboard instruments.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Bechstein, Knight and Sponnagel?

Postby Anonymous » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi everyone....
I have a very difficult situation on my hands and I need your help and opinion!
I have a Bechstein upright piano model IV dating back from 1899-1901.
I also have a Sponnagel upright piano, serial number 11149. I can't find any info on this piano.
Now I am considering buying a Knight baby grand piano for a very reasonable price. I can't find the serial number, but it does not look that old.

I have always wanted a baby grand piano. The problem is I obviously can't have 3 pianos, so which one must I sell?

Do you have information on any of these specific pianos? I can't find much info on the web except some info on the Bechstein.

Thank you in advance[/b]

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi madeli7,

My opinion is that you should keep the piano that you like best. But I'm sure you thought of that. I've never ever heard of Sponnagel, maybe it's a fait guess that the Bechstein is the better of the two ? But should you like the other one better you do have a problem.... Not possible to advise really, it's your choice. Maybe you should sell them both and buy a real (non-baby) grand !
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:31 am

The Bechstein is probably the best to keep as an invetsment, but I can't really practice on it because of its soft touch. I really want to buy this baby grand because it only cost R7000 (about $620) and I will never be able to afford something more expensive than that...

Return to “The Piano”