Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

avguste wrote:
It would be great to have the stats back up and running

Yep. Can't wait to get my hands on that debugger and find out why the heck it crashes !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

The stats are back on, but only since june 12 - I don't know why there is a break there... darn, yet more debugging to do. The problem was caused by horrendously long lines in the access log. I never had thought the webserver could log so much crap.
Nathan's made second in line on account of his Grieg 38.3 being so popular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yay - Thanks for that!! It’s neat to see how many times certain pieces are downloaded. It’s like a window that shows us what the world is currently interested in. I also like the running numbers between Bach and Chopin who are always in the one and two spot (great when Chopin moves to #1 :) ).

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:06 am 
Site Admin

The reason for the gap is that the logs are growing so fast that I need to rotate and compress them about every month. In 2 months, the grow to 4 GB and most programs (including C-programs) can not open files that big. What we can do is to decompress these files and run them file by file but that is 4-6 hours work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
The reason for the gap is that the logs are growing so fast that I need to rotate and compress them about every month. In 2 months, the grow to 4 GB and most programs (including C-programs) can not open files that big. What we can do is to decompress these files and run them file by file but that is 4-6 hours work.

There must be a smarter way to do it. Like maybe, a stats deamon that sucks the new lines off the log as they come, and stores that info for historic purposes. Let me think about this some more before we take any decisions. On the new server, with the debugger, it will be a bit easier to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 am 
Site Admin

The 'Stats' and 'New recordings' have disappeared from the main page. Probably buried under the advertisements. Not sure when they will be back, but in the meantime you can bookmarks these links for them

www.pianosociety.com/stats.html
www.pianosociety.com/new.html

The pages are still generated every night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:17 am 
Site Admin

You can find the 'stats' and 'new recordings' in the navigation tree on the left-hand side of the main page under "About Piano Society".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
You can find the 'stats' and 'new recordings' in the navigation tree on the left-hand side of the main page under "About Piano Society".

Exactly.

I manually removed the stats links from the main page as I got tired of making the monthly statistics which nobody is interested in anyway :D. Did not realize that people used that link to find the statistics.

I have re-added the links on the main page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

I finaly got around to fixing the "stats" function. The problem - again - was unexpected lines in the webserver's access logfile that my program failed to handle properly. It runs again now and the stats are being generated each night. I have reversed the order so the recent stats are on top of the list.

The figures in the right column seem to be roughly proportional the the number of records someone has on the site, at least for the top two. As for Wallaart. someone seems to be looping his Mondschein sonata forever and ever (but the same recently for some of my Bartok items).

The real popularity of a pianist should probably be measured in the nr of downloads per recording, and I think I will add that column and sort on it instead. The current top 5 would then look like this

Chris 464
Monica 460
Wallaart 10518 (!!!!)
Pascale 724
Szames 981

and there could be more surprises in store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:45 pm 

techneut wrote:
and there could be more surprises in store.

I predict that Liszt's waltz in A will make the top of the charts :wink: :lol:

Do you think the high number of DLs for Wallaart is due to automatic downloaders? I mean, you have the most recordings on the site and only have 464 compared to Wallaart who does not have even half the amount you have and he has 10518!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Do you think the high number of DLs for Wallaart is due to automatic downloaders? I mean, you have the most recordings on the site and only have 464 compared to Wallaart who does not have even half the amount you have and he has 10518!

Joffrey has 8 recordings. But someone really loves his Mondschein, it's been the top downloaded recording for as long as I can remember. Must be an auto downloader I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

I don't get that number of downloads per recording thing. Where does it show that I have 460? And why can't you get that Wallart 'looper' to stop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I don't get that number of downloads per recording thing. Where does it show that I have 460? And why can't you get that Wallart 'looper' to stop?

See the cumulative stats. You have 93956 downloads. Divided by 204, your number of recordings on the site, that gives 460 downloads/recording. I will amend the stats with these numbers if I feel like doing some more programming.

Robert's been trying to stop auto downloaders for a long time as you may remember. But each solution caused problems of its own so we left it. There is no good way to distinguish autodownloaders, looping players, crawlers, bots, etc... from 'normal' listeners who surf our site and click on a recording. Or if there is, we haven't found it yet.