Site Admin

Chopin - Polonaise Op.26 No.2 in E Flat Minor
Chopin - Mazurka Op.63 No.1 in B Major
Chopin - Mazurka Op.63 No.2 in F Minor
Chopin - Mazurka Op.63 No.3 in C Sharp Minor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Very well done as well even though I wish to have a more accented Mazurka "swing" and a bit more rubato in the Mazurkas. Once there is a trill or ornament, accent it with a short tempo drop and do not play it tempo steady through. That is at least how I wish it to be played (even though I suck playing them myself ;)).

The Polonasie is most impressive and you handle the fast runs better than in other pieces I have heard. Practised on them quite a bit I assume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Not particularly ! RH upward runs seem to come naturally to me, no idea why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am 

Mr. Breemer,

Thanks for sharing your music with us. I am amazed, this time the down loading from home was fast. Have you done some thing special :evil:

So you have encouraged me to dig out my complete chopin mazurka to practice.

Me and my wife(pianist too) ready to sit down to enjoy your playing........

WE have to say the first one, at the start op63/1 was a bit too rush and I liked the way you deceived us by slowing down to the slow section(am i right? or thats your intension).

Overall, the mazurkas I felt that you played without sufficient emotion/feeling, it feels like you are just playing the notes thru without any emotion. I would like to hear a more sentimental version....

The Polonaise was well played, I have to say YOU ARE THE KING OF SIGHT reading and King of chords. SImply I have no patience in this particlular piece, and you know me well.
Chopin does write weird musics, and this one was nicely done with his artistic taste.

Overall, I hope you are not offended by our honest say and I am sure you will do better as long as you are happy with. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

I can't find much to "niggle" (what a funny word, I'm taking it from you guys) about on the Mazurkas except that your tempo is a tiny bit slow in places. I don't have the score in front of me so I can't point out specifics. I will listen to these again later when my family is awake. Right now my speakers are low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Overall, the mazurkas I felt that you played without sufficient emotion/feeling, it feels like you are just playing the notes thru without any emotion.

Hm :?
I am not a sentimental pianist, that much is true. I like to keep things on the move, and I dislike exaggerated rubato. After all these are dances in origin. If you want heart-on-sleeve sentiment, look elsewhere. I try to give these pieces tender loving care rather than smothering them in affection, and hopefully not all of you find them emotionless - otherwise I radically need to change my ways before recording the rest of the Mazurkas.

Hehe, the king of chords, I like that :D Makes a change from being the king of Turd Mountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:13 pm 

Niggle. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Niggle. :lol:

Yeah, that helps ! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:36 pm 

when will you record the Polonaise 1817...knowing your reading skills it shouldn't take more than 2 days to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:30 pm 

Chris I liked your expression mark" :? heeeee. Not too happy ehh. By all means, the main thing is you are happy with your playing, who cares what other says....

Have you tried play the "king of the mountain hall" by Greig???/I might spell it wrong...I did hear one live performance by a Taiwannise pianist who stuidied in Austria with schoolship(when he was young). He was about 45 years old when he played. The performace was awesome but feels like breaking the piano.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
when will you record the Polonaise 1817...knowing your reading skills it shouldn't take more than 2 days to learn.

Don't have to learn that, just need to brush it up. I am quite fond of these posth. Polonaises, and may well record them. Just one of the many plans I have....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I just listened to the mazurkas again and I've changed my mind. I think your tempo is fine. I see two spots that can be niggled (?) (you have invented a new verb)

No. 1 - measures 40 - 42: My score shows an accent on the third beat. This makes those measures stand out against the ones before and after them. Not sure if it's a matter of dynamics on recordings.

No. 2 - Missed one of the mordents near the end - 7 bars from the end. I know, no big deal, but you play nice mordents (bet you never had a girl say that to you before. "I like your mordents" :lol: ) Sorry, I'm cracking myself up.

No. 3 was fine. Good job on the last line. I can never do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks pianolady ! I think my tempi are relaxed, rather than slow. At least they should feel like that - they do to me.

Yes these accents ! I guess I never even noticed them, thanks for pointing that out. Instintively always put them on the 2nd beat, which doesn't seem to sound bad to me. But must do as papa Chopin said.

Yes these mordents ! The girls can't get enough of them :wink: But, I have not got one in my score 7 bars from the end. Have you got any more in your score that were not played here ?
Which score is it ? Mine is Peters (surprise...)

Yes that last line of nr. 3. Damn tricky and I was lucky to get it sort of right in a reasonable timeframe. One needs a bit of luck now and then.

Thanks again, your feedback helps motivate me for the rest of the lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm using Schirmers, edited by Mikuli. Not sure if he/she/they added the mordent or if Peters added it, but here is a picture of the last two lines on my copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I thought that is where it would be. Not so in mine.
Is it indicated just here, or also in the all other places where this RH descent is played ?