Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9479
Location: Netherlands
Daniel Hoehr wrote:
Oh, bloody hell!

Right, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another edition of Daniel makes an idiot of himself.

Of course, I meant "post-recital tension", but there's no way I'll ever get out of this, is there? :oops:

I know what you meant and you did actually write that. It's just that my eyes go funny sometimes and I miss these tiny little i's when reading :lol: Bloody Microsoft fonts....

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 am
Posts: 163
Location: Sankt Augustin, Germany
techneut wrote:
Daniel Hoehr wrote:
Oh, bloody hell!

Right, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another edition of Daniel makes an idiot of himself.

Of course, I meant "post-recital tension", but there's no way I'll ever get out of this, is there? :oops:

I know what you meant and you did actually write that. It's just that my eyes go funny sometimes and I miss these tiny little i's when reading :lol: Bloody Microsoft fonts....


Ah. OK! :D I'm actually quite good at making a fool of myself by sloppy typing.

pianolady wrote:
Still, imagine you have a total memory block and you're sitting there like an idiot, staring at the keys. At least if you have your music up there you could probably figure out where you were or just start all over again with your eyes glued to the music.


Hmmmm, you know what would happen to me? I would stare at the music, panic and wouldn't not be able to figure out where I am. Actually, that scenario is not too unlikely.

I still don't know what to do. I've taken this week off so I have plenty of time to practise. I played four hours today and didn't look at the music once. I'm now trying to memorise the pieces (as opposed to relying on my muscle memory), but I don't really know how. I've never actually leant it.

Does anybody have any advice?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8407
Daniel Hoehr wrote:


I still don't know what to do. I've taken this week off so I have plenty of time to practise. I played four hours today and didn't look at the music once. I'm now trying to memorise the pieces (as opposed to relying on my muscle memory), but I don't really know how. I've never actually leant it.

Does anybody have any advice?


I am going to have to ask my teacher, because I've forgotten some of the things he told me. But one thing I do remember - one technique is to memorize each hand separately. Supposedly, if you can play each hand by memory, then you have a better chance at playing hands together memorized. Oh - I just remembered another technique, which is to play the piece at a super, super slow tempo - like 'snail's pace' slow without looking at the music. Sounds easy but it's not. You have to totally rely on your 'brain memory' instead of 'muscle memory'. Both of these techniques are like torture for me, though, since I am so impatient.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 am
Posts: 163
Location: Sankt Augustin, Germany
pianolady wrote:
I am going to have to ask my teacher, because I've forgotten some of the things he told me. But one thing I do remember - one technique is to memorize each hand separately. Supposedly, if you can play each hand by memory, then you have a better chance at playing hands together memorized. Oh - I just remembered another technique, which is to play the piece at a super, super slow tempo - like 'snail's pace' slow without looking at the music. Sounds easy but it's not. You have to totally rely on your 'brain memory' instead of 'muscle memory'.


Thanks, Monica! I've been trying to memorize both hands separately in Brahms Opus 117, which works fine in no 2. I'll try both techniques - I've got two and a half weeks, that'll do.

I'm actually very much looking forward to playing the next recital, which will be in a late 19th century neo-gothic church, somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the sort of north of Germany (that's where I work). The church was built at around the same time Brahms composed his opus 117...

pianolady wrote:
Both of these techniques are like torture for me, though, since I am so impatient.


I see what you mean, I'm also very impatient. That's why I barely practise both hands separately when I start playing a new piece, I go for both hands together immediately. I only practise both hands separately when I start running into difficulties. I know that's stupid and maybe that explains why it takes me ages to learn a new piece. Maybe I should practise more systematically.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:04 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Louisiana, USA
*sigh* hurricane evacuations always make me miss the kewl, er gross ... i mean gross ... posts! :lol: :shock:

_________________
the one, the only ... Nathan Coleman
"You see, my piano is for me what his ship is to a sailor; more indeed: it is my very self, my mother tongue, my life." - Franz Liszt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:03 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8407
Daniel Hoehr wrote:
I see what you mean, I'm also very impatient. That's why I barely practise both hands separately when I start playing a new piece, I go for both hands together immediately. I only practise both hands separately when I start running into difficulties. I know that's stupid and maybe that explains why it takes me ages to learn a new piece. Maybe I should practise more systematically.


That's exactly how I practice.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8407
Daniel Hoehr wrote:

I'm actually very much looking forward to playing the next recital, which will be in a late 19th century neo-gothic church, somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the sort of north of Germany (that's where I work). The church was built at around the same time Brahms composed his opus 117...


Forgot to say this earlier:

You are the second person I've heard around here who gets to perform in such neat places. Now you really have to video record your recital! And I doubt you'll have to add in any reverb.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 am
Posts: 163
Location: Sankt Augustin, Germany
Pianolady wrote:
Daniel Hoehr wrote:

I see what you mean, I'm also very impatient. That's why I barely practise both hands separately when I start playing a new piece, I go for both hands together immediately. I only practise both hands separately when I start running into difficulties. I know that's stupid and maybe that explains why it takes me ages to learn a new piece. Maybe I should practise more systematically.



That's exactly how I practice.


I've now spent some hours practising both hands separately, trying to memorise the pieces. It is incredible how little I know the pieces I have been playing for quite a while now, the pieces I have recorded three times and played in public three times!

Pianolady wrote:
You are the second person I've heard around here who gets to perform in such neat places. Now you really have to video record your recital! And I doubt you'll have to add in any reverb.


I'm not so sure about the video recording thing.... Let me think about it :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Daniel Hoehr wrote:
It is incredible how little I know the pieces I have been playing for quite a while now, the pieces I have recorded three times and played in public three times!

I know that feeling - I usually learn more difficult pieces so I don't have that problem, but some pieces just don't inspire me to practice hands separately and then, later after having learned the piece, trying to memorize each hand separately is a daunting task. :lol:

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group