Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Moszkowsky
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:44 pm 

Moszkowski: 12 Etudes, Op. 92 for the left hand
No. 1 in C Major
No. 11 in Db Major

Too bad I can't play No. 1 faster to make it more energetic, but it's bad enough at this tempo.

No. 11 is good for practicing broken chords with the left hand, trying to play legato passages without the pedal, and playing in the highest register with the left hand. These skills are obviously not completely perfected by me yet. Need I say more? I tried.... The broken chords are reminiscent of Chopin's Etude No. 11 in Eb. Also does anyone else hear the "unintentional(?)" reference to Pictures at an Exhibition in this etude? At least we now have a little more of these relatively seldom heard pieces on the PS site.

Moszkowski - Etude in C Major Op. 92, No. 1

Moszkowski - Etude in D-flat Major Op. 92, No. 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm 

I listened to 11, while I can't hear the reference to Mussorgsky's P.E, I can hear beautiful music. Thanks for sharing. Five completed, another seven to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John, these are up. Number one is not bad at all! And neither is Number 11, however, it is a lot softer than number 1. The volume, that is. I had to turn my speakers all the way up. Also, there is around 17 seconds of silence at the end of the file. Maybe you might want to increase the volume and chop off the dead air at the end and then send it to me again? You don't have to if you don't want to.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

The no.11 did not remind me either of a Chopin Etude or or the Moussorgsky PE. Where exactly do you hear that reference to the latter, John ?

These are extremely well played though. Some tiny frays in the no.11 but this is a great achievement ! One would never guess these was played by one hand. I hope you can persevere with this and complete the cycle. That would be quite unique, I think - not many pianists who can do this. Make the most of your impediment while it lasts :wink:

Post subject: LH
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:55 pm 

Thanks for listening. Monica, I don't know what happened to the volume. If I had realized how soft it is, I would have done something about it. I've tried to increase the volume using the Amplify effect in Audacity. This is as loud as I can make it without clipping in the loudest parts. I also cut the ending to about 3 seconds. Is this better?

Juufa, the reference to Pictures at an Exhibition is only the first three chords from the "Promenade." It's not very obvious. It occurs in the middle forte part at about the 3 minute mark. I don't know how many more of these Etudes I"ll attempt. I know one of them requires a larger hand than I have. Another has a lot of fast repeated notes which are very difficult for me. We'll see. Perhaps I'll trudge through more. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Ok, yes - that is a lot better. I've replaced it.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:03 pm 

Thanks, Chris, for listening and providing feedback. I was expecting you to really blast the No. 11, and perhaps both of them because they contain so many flaws. I hope to re-record the No. 11 at a later date. I know I can play it better.

Chris said:
The no.11 did not remind me either of a Chopin Etude or the Moussorgsky PE. Where exactly do you hear that reference to the latter, John ?

Chris, I agree that No. 11 doesn't sound like the Chopin Etude. The large broken chords gave me the same feeling as practicing the broken chords in Chopin's Etude No. 11. They are BIG stretches for my not-so-large hands. I slightly injured my hands many years ago trying to learn No. 11. The ME reference is just the first three chords (different key, of course) of the Promenade at about the three minute mark. That's all. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: LH
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
Thanks, Chris, for listening and providing feedback. I was expecting you to really blast the No. 11, and perhaps both of them because they contain so many flaws.

I must admit I did not hear many, and certainly none that seemed serious. But then, I do not know these pieces. The sound good to me !

In response to what you say about the difficulties of some of the remaining etudes : why not let the RH help just a little bit, for instance if some stretch is too big for the LH ? It's common practice in normal repertoire so I can't see why it should not be allowed here (only of course if there's no alternative).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:01 pm 

Chris, thanks for the suggestion. However, with my oversensitive conscience, I would consider helping with the right hand cheating unless I explained that I did. So far I've never been tempted.

:oops: Chris and Juufa, sorry. I just realized the part of PE that I was thinking of was "The Great Gate of Kiev." The pianists plays descending octaves with the RH, and the LH chimes in with the melody I'm thinking of.

Post subject: Re: LH
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:14 pm 

John Robson wrote:
:oops: Chris and Juufa, sorry. I just realized the part of PE that I was thinking of was "The Great Gate of Kiev." The pianists plays descending octaves with the RH, and the LH chimes in with the melody I'm thinking of.

I'm still not hearing it. I was never good at picking out subtleties (or spelling that word correctly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:32 pm 

Hi John,
both etudes sound very beautiful too me. I have not the score of these pieces, so I´m not able to give you a comment on details or to judge seriously your performance. But I have to say I enjoyed it very much. All sounds very clearly and musically, so it´s a great pleasure to listen to you.
Congratulations for this great achievement and continue so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:16 am 

A nice job again!
I can hear a very beautiful music of a very devoted musician here :)