A shorter piano piece

Discuss all aspects of composing, upload compositions, and discuss uploaded compositions.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

A shorter piano piece

Postby cytong » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:48 pm

I wrote this last year too, you can sure guess where I get the inspirtion from. Its a short piece in E flag minor. Similar in style the short piano piece I post earlier

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:35 am

Again, a nice and mellifluous piece (that word seems particularly apt here), and not too long for its content. But I have to say I find it rather four-square and predictable, and the sudden pause along the way only draws attention to this - as it goes on exactly the same but in another key (a bit like a song-contest tune). The swimmy digital sound and ostentatious ritenutos at the end of each 4-bar phrase do not help, and I find the ending very uninspired. Sort of "and now... the END !" :wink:

Sorry to be a bit critical... Inventing and harmonizing a nice tune is more than most people can do (although many can), but it does not quite add up to composing for my idea. There must be contrasting ideas, development, and variety in treatment, among other things. But also that is hard to achieve without making a piece feel like a jumble.
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Return to “Composing”