Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:19 am 

Juuf these are good. Keep doing what you're doing and raise the bar for yourself in terms or repertoire difficulty a little bit with each new piece you learn. Some suggestions...

Fur Elise

Selections from Schumann's Op.68 Album for the Young

Beethoven Sonatas Op.49

Prokofiev Album for the Young Op.65 (I think the op. # is correct, not sure)

Bartok Mikrokosmos Book 4

Chopin Preludes in em, bm and A and a Mazurka in F, op. posth I think. Not sure which it is.

Keep up the good work.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:39 pm 

don't me fooled by my auditions Arensky. I split my practicing between easy pieces (though now being rejected twice :wink: :wink: :lol: , it causes me to believe that these are easily-hard) and more difficult pieces: such as Hungarian Rhapsodie #5, Schumann Etudes after Paganini Caprices #5, and a piece by Bortkiewisz (spelling?) .. It is a matter of execution. I feel more comfortable play the harder pieces, above, by myself and for myself. I do not like to perform infront of an audience and even recording gets my heart pumping a little. :x

Thanks anyways. Maybe next week or the following I'll resubmit for the third time :D :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
don't me fooled by my auditions Arensky. I split my practicing between easy pieces (though now being rejected twice :wink: :wink: :lol:

You have not been rejected, we just did not discuss whether to put these up or not. Actually I thought you wrote it was not meant for the site but I now see that only referred (rightly so) to the German song. If you'd like these up the site, no problems with that ! Though I still believe that with some more effort you can still do a lot better, and you'll be more proud of it.

Quote:
I feel more comfortable play the harder pieces, above, by myself and for myself.

I think that is quite common. But as Schumann already said, it is better (and far more difficult) to play a simple piece really well, than to play a difficult piece raggedly. The trick is to learn to hear what you actually produce, rather than what you'd like to hear. Listening to yourself critically is essential practice (something Hamelin said, I think).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 pm 

I agree with Schumann's view. I believe that to bring off a piece with roughly 20 notes is a lot harder than bringing off a piece than say 2000 notes (musically. I am not compairing Satie Gymnopedies to Balakirev's Islamey). It is due to the fact that the audience and yourself can critique each rising and falling of the hammers with more scrutiny (sorry I cannot spell today).

Therefore I liked being critiqued with a hard fist compairable of that to Stalin's. :wink: It'll only prove beneficial...

but once I do manage to win the ears of the listeners, then, yes Techneut, I would like to be on this website. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Can you send me a bio (and a photo if you have it, recognizable and without a gun :) ) and tell me how to properly spell your last name, and I will put you up, except the German Dance.
Will you continue with the AftY ? I played though it the other day, first time since many years, and was struck by how much great music is in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:21 pm 

yes I will PM you with the bio and such. But not after I get a better recording submitted (maybe sometime next week or so). I think I haved solved the issue of the volume. I just placed the edirol on my speaker :? . And then turned down the volume on the keyboard. Sure I lost a little bit of quality, but it is louder and no more key-plopping (well 85% gone). Every now and then I will submit a piece on a different piano (either at my church, at school, or a piano from the "piano group meetings" I attened to every 5 weeks). So no one has to bear with the sound of my "wonderful" keyboard :x

And yes, Album for the Young is full of great music. I will try my best to see how much I can get done. But I fear that pieces like Neopolitan Song and German Song will get the best of me. I hate the left hand in the N.S. (what do you call those? triplets?)

Thank you.

-JG

p.s. G stands for "Grocholski" (pronounced "grow-hole-ski"....or joking around with a dutch friend of ours, it would be "van der Groch" :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:50 pm 

Alright. I had enough! I firmly believe that this is the best I can do with "In Church." If it is not good enough I will just leave it as that and burn the sheet music. :twisted:

I also am submitting another piece: Mozart's Minuet in Dmajor k.7 Just to kill the time between now and when I submit the FINAL draft of the other three pieces (Liszt waltz, and two other Tchaik pieces).

Please comment on the sound level (DO NOT TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP!) I relocated the edirol to make up for the volume lost. But at a cost of keyboard sound quality. Does it work better than the other tries? Should I leave the edirol here or just go back and place it on a chair?

Thank you.

-Julius

oh by the way. You'll be able to get through this submission in one sitting. :wink: I'm not superman afterall. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:20 am 

Nice playing! Cute and charming pieces. Since I don't have the score to any, I can't make too much commentary, other than they sound very good to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Very good ! That Minuet is cute, I did not know it. Nothing to niggle about except you must take care not to hurry the end of phrases (this is particularly audible the first time, just before the repeat). If you do anything there, tempo wise, let it be a _slight_ ritenuto but do not go faster.

The Church is must better, seems you have taken my hints. Rhythmically it is ok, the chant sounds very solemn and intense, and the 'bell' section is properly sonorous now.

So, these two will be your debut on the site. I'll put you up later today. Looking forward to more AftY items from you.