Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
DSCH motif? :?:

It's the composers initals, musically notated. Similar to the BACH motif. However, this one would be: D - Eb - C - B.

I forget why... but aparently there's some reason that S can be equivalant to an Eb...

It's a wonderful motif....

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:03 pm 

I had the pleasure of attending a two-piano recital last night, with performers Mary Chung and Amanda Virelles, both of whom are doctoral candidates at my school, for piano performance. The purpose of the recital was to show off a new Steinway bought for the Gulf Coast campus of my school, and they also used the Steinway from Hattiesburg that was just purchased a couple of years ago. So, two nice, new Steinways. :D The program was:

Mozart Sonata in C major K 545, arranged for two pianos by Grieg
Rachmaninoff Suite No. 2 Op. 17
"Music from Latin America":
Libertango, by A. Piazzola
Los muñecos, by I. Cervantes
Introduccion y Danza, by J.F. Garcia
Malagueña, by E. Lecouna

The Mozart was nice but not really all that great...it's a well-known sonata (the tweety bird sonata!), and all Grieg did was add some harmony and embellishment to it. The Rachmaninoff was great - I especially love the last movement, the Tarantella. The second and third Latin pieces I seem to remember being sort of repetitive, but I really liked the Libertango and the Malagueña. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like it was a good concert. I like that Libertango piece a lot!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 am 

Hey Monica, you can hear Amanda play some Granados here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, thanks. I just listened to her Granados. She is indeed a very good player.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 am 

I hope I can talk some of these guys into posting their files here, since they already have recording habits and all. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 am 

I'd like to mention Clara Schumann's piano trio in G minor here. It's quite a charming, albeit unjustly neglected work, which I was lucky enough to play last year. It's a bit reminiscent of Mendelssohn, although the piano part isn't quite as stupendous. :)

If you'd like to get acquainted with the work, here's our live recording of the 3rd movement, a delightful Andante.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:08 am 

Why don't you put it in the Audition Room, François? Would it not be okay with your co-performers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:20 am 
Site Admin

demonic_advent wrote:
I forget why... but aparently there's some reason that S can be equivalant to an Eb...

"Es" is the German name for E-flat. Just as "H" is the German name for "B". This gives composers some flexibility in playing name games.

But sometimes it gets really far-fetched - like Ravel with his menuet on the name of Haydn, using the notes B-A-D-D-G. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:00 am 

Nobody has mentioned the famous Schumann Piano Quintet yet? It's amazing! (I'm not sure if he wrote more than one... the one I'm thinking of is in.. E?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm 
François Micol wrote:
I'd like to mention Clara Schumann's piano trio in G minor here. It's quite a charming, albeit unjustly neglected work, which I was lucky enough to play last year. It's a bit reminiscent of Mendelssohn, although the piano part isn't quite as stupendous. :)

If you'd like to get acquainted with the work, here's our live recording of the 3rd movement, a delightful Andante.

Thank you for this live recording. Sounds like a very nice, tranquil piece.
Oh wait, now its dramatic. Oh here it comes back again...

It has a bit of everything, the recapitulation is remnicient of late Beethoven, Clara was a true genius and the unsung hero of Roberts Schumann's celebrity. The ending coda is much like Mendelssohn.

Thank you for your efforts and practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:09 pm 

Has anyone mentioned the two Mendelssohn piano trios, op. 49 and 66? These are really beautiful works, in my humble opinion. Together they'd give you about an hour of glorious music for your listening pleasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 pm 

Well as of now, I love the Weber Trio in G Minor for flute, cello and piano.

I am doing a festival this summer and me and my group were assigned to work on the finale of that work. The piano part is pretty difficult but I am determined to get it :D

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke