Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: help, please
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Does anyone know what the tempo marking, 'Llarchs' means?
I just started a new Granados piece today but cannot find this word in any of my music dictionaries.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:24 pm 

I think "llarchs" means "longs"...good luck trying to figure out how to play "longs".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 pm 

I'm pretty sure it means "longs" as well, although I'm not sure if it means to play longingly or to take a very long time to play the piece. After researching it, I found that there's also another part of this piece (it's called Sardana, right?) that translates to English as "shorts." I don't know if that helps.

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:04 pm 

I would guess something like "largo" for that, but I would probably be wrong....I'll ask one of my bajillion Latino classmates...

Post subject: Re: help, please
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:02 am 

pianolady wrote:
Does anyone know what the tempo marking, 'Llarchs' means?
I just started a new Granados piece today but cannot find this word in any of my music dictionaries.

Douglas Riva would know. He is an editor of "Piano Today" and is somewhat of a Granados expert. Try to contact him, maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:15 am 

Indeed, it does mean "longs."

I'd think that the longs are meant to be played legato, the shorts staccato, no?

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Thanks so much, everybody. I’m blowing you all kisses. (except for you, Terez – not that I don’t like you, but you know… :wink: )

Longs…hmmm….that stumped me for a bit. But now….yes, Chopinman, you’re right – the piece is called “Sardana”, and stupid me just did what you probably did, looked it up on Google. ( I know – duh. I always forget about Google and instead look in my dictionaries.) In case anyone else is wondering, I found this information, which describes it perfectly.

Sardana, published in 1914, is Granados’ only piano work directly inspired by popular Catalan culture. It is dedicated to the American pianist, conductor and composer, Ernest Schelling. The sardana is a two-part group dance, typical of Granados’ native Catalonia, in which the dancers form rings. The steps, curts (shorts) and llarchs (longs), shape the music. Granados’ Sardana belongs to the genre of concert sardanas, not intended for dancing

So it’s not a tempo marking at all!

Pete, I know who Douglas Riva is and have listened to a lot of his Granados recordings. I used to get that magazine too but didn’t know he was one of the editors.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com