Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Request for change on "Artists" page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:13 pm 

Hello admins. I was thinking on the Artists page of the Piano Society it would be nice if
the artist's login and possibly full name was listed rather than just last name, first initial.
In my humble opinion, it is difficult in many cases to associate one of the artist links with a post.
For example as far as I can tell, there is no way to know who musicusblau is, and so no way
easily to find his recordings. Just a suggestion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Brian - Not sure I'm following you. On the 'artists' page, our screen names are not present. (good thing!) But it doesn't matter really, because if someone is on the forum to listen to recordings, they will have a link on the particular thread that will take them directly to the piece. Is that what you mean?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:20 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Brian - Not sure I'm following you. On the 'artists' page, our screen names are not present.

Yes this is exactly what I think is missing on that page. There is absolutely no way for someone
that doesn't know your last name to find recordings by pianolady (for example). Yes you are
right that if a user is in a thread in which pianolady has submitted a piece the user can listen
to that piece, but there is no way for that user to go find pianolady's other submissions on the artists page.
Just my two cents, and your response "thank goodness" seems to imply you
guys like it the way it is :) Maybe you want to keep the forums separate from the regular
Piano Society pages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:07 pm 

Yes, I agree with bclever that I would like a direct link between pianists' opinions on the forum (often written behind a screen name that is nothing like their real name) and their Artist Page where we can see what recordings they have made.

Last edited by Nicole on Tue May 20, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:18 pm 

Nicole, you guessed my motive exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 pm 

bclever wrote:
Nicole, you guessed my motive exactly.

:D

Last edited by Nicole on Tue May 20, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:30 pm 

Then why not force everyone to not have screen names like "Juufa72" but instead "Julius Grocholski"??? Wouldn't that be easier than making hyperlinks and footers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:08 am 

you know... if you're really intrested, you could probably search the forum for that user's audition pieces, where they (generally) post their names...

I believe that if you browse through my postings, my first post was in the audition forum, where I stated my name. Thus... most people can be found that way.

... Just a suggestion though. I'm sure there's probably an exception to the rule out there...

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:07 am 
Site Admin

It needs to be pointed out again that there's no formal correlation between the forum and the "main site". They run on separate databases, with different software. Only a few pianists on the site are actually on the forum, and not all of the forum participants are present as a pianist. I agree it would be better to use full names on the forum that correspond to the names on the site, but using idiotic nicknames is an ingrained Internet habit, and it seems that some people prefer to remain anonymous. Anyway that is not easy to change as it would require a complete conversion of th forum database (if it's possible at all).

Best I can suggest is that forum members change their signature to something meaningful, containing their real name and the URL of their pianist page. You can do that by editing your Profile and changing the "Signature" field. For example my signature currently looks like this

Code:
"I am so open-minded that my brains keep falling out."
[url=http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=10][u]Chris Breemer[/u][/url]

so that everybody can click the link in a posting of mine to get to my page (assuming anyone would want that :lol: ). All you need to know is the section number of your pianist page (mine is 10). YOu can find that out by displaying your page and looking at the number in the URL at the top of the browser. This is something that everybody must decide for, and do, themselves. We admins are not going to do it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:16 pm 

Nicole wrote:
Yes, I agree with bclever that I would like a direct link between pianists' opinions on the forum (often written behind a screen name that is nothing like their real name) and their Artist Page where we can see what recordings they have made. When I read someone's opinions on the forum, I am curious to know what their playing sounds like. "Gee, that Nicole Muller seems like quite the dork -- I wonder if her playing corresponds accordingly", etc., can be verified by clicking the grey www under our forum postings, but if you are at the Artist Page and want to see someone's opinions at the forum, it would be nice to be able to do the reverse.

A somewhat easy solution is to add an additional link for each recording, allowing the listener to go directly to the specific thread.
Not sure if I make sense