Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Mazurka Op. 59 No.2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

I wasn't sure where to put this question. Thought it might get lost on the "audition" place.
Techneut, I know you're working on this one now, and anyone else who knows, here is my question: The last measure, do you pedal through the whole thing (actually last two meaures) or do you play more detached? The score shows slur over staccato. I think that means portato :?: But the recordings I've listened to play it totally staccato, which I don't like. I think it should be bit smoother than that. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:15 pm 
Well, if I were to go one what I was taught to do when I see staccato notes with a slur over them, I'd play them neither staccato nor legato, but in a distinctively detached manner with each note in its own clearly defined space. Just a small amount of space needs to be between each note. The very same kind of marking occurs in a piece of Brahms I am currently playing, with staccato notes joined by a slur. The way I play them is just how I described, each note being clearly sounded out and detached from the others, but not staccato.

You know what might also be helpful is to not listen to any recordings of the piece as you are learning it. I never listen to any recordings of a piece I am learning. Doing so results in situations like this. Just read the score the way you've been taught and don't allow other interpretations (which may very well be superb interpretations but at the same time "incorrect" with regards to how the score is marked) to interfere. You should never strive to imitate or copy what you hear in another recording, but to realize the piece in your own way.

Another possibility is that your score and the score the artists are using on the recordings you've heard are different. Is your score an urtext edition? Some editions add all sorts of things for whatever reasons. It may very well be that those notes are supposed to be staccato. I'd make sure you have an urtext edition. Then you can feel confident that those notes were probably meant to be played detached and note entirely staccato.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, DarthDidious. Good ideas. I'll try to look at an Urtext edition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:35 pm 

slur over a "staccato", should be interpretated as-Chopin played as " one phase but rather detached". another word, While youre playing that pharse-or a slur line. mentally think it as ONE phase and played it in semi detached form.
I hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:02 am 

In the sheet music archive there is a pedal marking over your mentioned complete phrase, which is marked staccato with a melody bow. Normally, one could think that it is don't care whether one plays staccato or legato, since all dampers are up anyhow due to the sustain pedal pushing.

But it IS a difference in the piano sound color whether one plays staccato or legato, even if the sustain pedal is pushed all the time. Try it out and listen to the difference if you play the phrase legato or staccato (both with pedal). Chopin was really a "sound gourmet", that show such subtile expression markings! I would try to play it as it is written, with sustain pedal, staccato but maintaining the melody bow of the single notes what John already told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I've been experimenting with the pedal down and playing staccato with a sharp 'attack' or just plain detached. It's amazing the subtle, but definite difference in sound.
I like the reference to Chopin being a 'sound gourmet'.