Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Searching for good microfones!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:51 pm 

Hallo everyone,
I´m looking for a type of condensator microfone with a good quality. So, I heard of the Neumann KM 184, but it´s very expensive (1099 Euro for a pair), and I heard of the Rode NT 5, which was recommended by a seller to me (300 Euro for a pair). Is there someone, who could recommend me a certain type of mics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:01 pm 

Hello,

I have the NT5. I would not recommend them because their high is a little bit aggressive. For a similar budget (~300 € for a stereo pair) and same microphone type (small diaphragm condenser), I prefer a pair of Oktava mk-012. Here attached two bits of recording for comparison.

Edit: attachments removed for saving storage amount in pianosociety. If you want them, just PM me. :wink:

Last edited by Didier on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:32 pm 

Dear Didier,
thank you so much for your nice help! Really very kind of you to have made two records of the same piece for a direct comparison.
I think, it´s evident, that the oktava mk012 is clearer and more brillant than the Rode NT 5. So the Rode I will not buy. Next week I get three types of mics for to test: AKG C 1000, AKG Perception 400 and the Neumann KM 184 and I´m looking forward to it. After the tests I will listen again to your record of mk012 and then I decide, which mic I´ll buy.
Thank you once more for your very useful help! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:58 am 

:oops: I just realized that the above comparison is not fully fair because the Oktava were fitted with their optional omnidirectional caps rather than their standard cardioid caps like for the NT 5, that are also modular but I have not got their omni caps. Here below some new recordings with the MK-012, omni and cardio, the Rode NT 5 and the Avenson STO-2. It's a kind of world tour since Oktava is Russian, Rode is Australian, and Avenson is American. The STO-2 are omnidirectional small diaphragm condensers (actually electrets), in a price range intermediate between the one of the Oktava and the Rode and the one of the Neumann KM 184.
I did not editing except for cutting the beginning and the end, applying a slight gain compensation for getting similar levels (- 3 dB on NT 5, + 1 dB on STO-2) and compressing in MP3.
I think that the differences are not so large (at least not in the proportion of the price, the ST0-2 being more than twice more expensive than the MK-O12 and the NT 5) and that the room acoustics and the microphone placement may have more importance that the microphones. Here the microphones are placed in a 20 cm A-B at 1,5 m height and 60 cm off the piano rig.
Don't take care to my playing: I am just starting to work on this nice piece from Schubert.

Edit : attachments removed because too badly played. :wink:

Last edited by Didier on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm 

Thank you very very much, Didier, for all the effort you make with me. And it´s really a very useful help.
So, I think the Rode NT 5 cardio wins against Oktava MK-012 cardio (and may be against MK012 omni, but the MK012 it´s only a bit more muffled, not really worse). Very winner is the Avenson STO2, which is clearer, more differenciated and it has a fuller sound.
Really very interesting comparison and I think one can hear the difference of prize-level of these mics.
On Monday I will get AKG C1000, AKG Perception 400 and Neumann KM 184 for to test them. Sandro recommended the Rode K2 (a pair of them costs nearly the same like a pair of the Neumanns). Once more, thank you very much!