Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: what is/was your 1st piano concerto that you learned?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:35 pm 

What is/was your 1st piano concerto that you are learning/have learnt?

if so, have you had a chance to play it with an orchestra before?

My 1st piano concerto that i'm learning now is the Schumann Concerto in a minor op.54 (complete)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:29 pm 

My first I learned was the Mendelssohn # 1 ... really fun ... then the Mozart 20th.

I'm playing around with the Shostakovich # 2 right now, it's not too hard ... but I'm seriously working on the Totentanz by Liszt, my favorite piano/orch piece.

Never played with a orchestra but I'd love to! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:31 pm 

I'm learning my first concerto right now: the Prokofiev 3rd. Right now I'm just working on the 1st movement for competitions next year... Then I'll be finishing it by 2 years from now (when I'm a senior...), and then when I'm a senior I'll also probably be learning a movement from the Mozart 23rd (I love that one!) for a competition I'll probably be entering where you need a full concerto and then a movement of a Mozart concerto for part of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:03 pm 

On a whim, I decided to try to learn Rach's third; needless to say, I nearly lost my mind. I was able to play about the notes, spent about two years on it. Severe, chronic insomnia ensued. Lost my focus. Classic burnout.

Of course, this was unwise. All that was a bitter learning experience which has left me a very cautious guy. I'll give it another go pretty soon. But there will probably not be a competition in my future, I'm WAY too recklessly ambitious. I would literally kill myself from overwork. No, thanks! :lol:

Hopefully, given proper recovery time, I'll regain my senses and learn something of Papa Hayden's.

Amazingly, I've remained injury free. So I consider myself extremely lucky.

Actually, it was fun. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm 

Hmmm... PJF, have you ever seen the movie "Shine"?

I believe that the pianist went insane whilst playing the Rach3.

Do I sense a parallel here??? :shock:

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 pm 

demonic_advent wrote:
Do I sense a parallel here??? :shock:

Maybe just a little. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:51 pm 

I have learned a solo piano adaptation of the 2nd movement of Grieg's famous A Minor Concerto.

I tend to like fast pieces more than slow pieces, and minor tonalities more than major tonalities.

Why I adore this piece is beyond me. :D

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:48 pm 

My first was the Grieg. And no, I didn't play it with an orchestra, because I only came in second place. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:17 am 
Terez wrote:
My first was the Grieg. And no, I didn't play it with an orchestra, because I only came in second place. :(

Ah Grieg... some days ago, I went to a concert of the Grieg Pianoduo, they played Grieg's pianoconcerto with four hands. :D

By the way, did you know that Percy Grainger once played this pianoconcerto with a bruise in his little finger? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:17 am 

Probably from practicing it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:06 pm 
Ravels G major.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:09 pm 
mikkeljs wrote:
Ravels G major.

Oh, I like that one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:22 am 

the Rachmaninoff 2nd, movement 3, was my first but the Tchaikovsky 1st was my first complete concerto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:08 am 
Haydn Piano Concerto in G Hob.XVIII:4, 1st movement. I played it with my teacher accompanying me at a small recital for all her students (just parents and friends attending), was so excited to play a concerto I forgot how it started!! I played the first few notes about 5 times, look at my teacher in desperation, tried one more time and I was off and racing

Waiting for the DVD to come back and if it turns out ok I might post it in the audition room. Does piano society put up concertos without full orchestra backing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:33 pm 

I attempted the first movements from Beethoven's 1st and Saint-Saëns's 2nd, and pretty much failed at both. But someday I'll have my revenge!