Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Choice of Spelling on the Site: Rachmaninoff or Rachmaninov
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:11 am 

Hmmm... just to be a complete butthead right now... I just noticed for the first time that the spelling that is used on the site for Rachmaninoff's composer page is "Rachmaninov."

Now... I do know that when Rachmaninoff came to America, he officially signed ALL of his documents as "Sergei Rachmaninoff," not Rachmaninov.

Don't you think it would be best to use the official spelling rather than the incorrect one?

Then again, if there's a specific reason why you chose to use Rachmaninov instead of Rachmaninoff, could you please elaborate it?

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject: Re: Choice of Spelling on the Site: Rachmaninoff or Rachmani
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:58 am 
Site Admin

demonic_advent wrote:
Then again, if there's a specific reason why you chose to use Rachmaninov instead of Rachmaninoff, could you please elaborate it?

We chose Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, etc... as these seem nowadays to be the accepted English spelling. I am not sure if R. was aware of this when he went to America. Then again, at the time, German spelling of Russian names was far more common than it is now, and maybe the default.

Anyway, consistency here overrules the composer's wish - assuming it was his explicit wish to be forever known as Rachmaninoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:16 pm 

I don't think I even always spell it the same way. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:33 am 

Perhaps this link could help explain my views:

http://home.flash.net/~park29/rachspell.htm

Hmmm... I do agree that consistency kicks butt... but at the same time, I find it to not be a good idea to go against the composers desires when it comes to something as personal as his name.
I mean... why not just go so far as to calling him "Sergie Rakhmaniow" then?
Trust me... I've seen it that way before. I almost killed myself.

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

demonic_advent wrote:
Perhaps this link could help explain my views:

http://home.flash.net/~park29/rachspell.htm

Hmmm... I do agree that consistency kicks butt... but at the same time, I find it to not be a good idea to go against the composers desires when it comes to something as personal as his name.

Yes there is a good point. And of course the 'ff' is not German spelling as I suggested, that would be the 'w'. All the same, I don't feel like changing it. As said in that page, R. would not have thought it important. The only correct spelling is the Cyrillic anyway.

demonic_advent wrote:
I mean... why not just go so far as to calling him "Sergie Rakhmaniow" then?

Because this is not a Polish site :lol:

demonic_advent wrote:
Trust me... I've seen it that way before. I almost killed myself.

But luckily, after much deliberation, you decided this was not going to help the cause :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:56 pm 

Smeergjeh Rackhmowninuffv :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:01 am 

PJF wrote:

Time to go find my tranquilizer gun again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 am 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:

What are you on this time Pete ? You're slurring quite badly :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 am 

Schpmerergereijh Rruachhscmuoneenouvfeff

Now that's slurring.

The double-f ending is the one I've always used; the fact that Rach was such a self described American patriot, signed his name with the "-noff" suffix, (and has that spelling on his tombstone) is a great reason to use it.
I don't feel strongly, really, one way or the other.

P.S. Mood-altering substances are at best overrated. BUT...that's another topic.

P.P.S. I'm nursing a shoulder injury at the moment; I should be fine but this is so annoying. I practiced to the point of creating a muscle imbalance and strain. Physical therapy is fixing it but for the short-term, has wrecked my coordination at the piano. UGH!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 am 

PJF wrote:
The double-f ending is the one I've always used; the fact that Rach was such a self described American patriot, signed his name with the "-noff" suffix, (and has that spelling on his tombstone) is a great reason to use it.
I don't feel strongly, really, one way or the other.

AND... he also wrote a kick-ass piano transcription of the Star Spangled Banner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:36 am 

Techneut is right, the only correct way of spelling his name is with the cyrillic lettering.

Сергей Васильевич Рахманинов

But for us Latin users, the "B" translates linguistically to a "V" sound ("voiced fricative" if you want a fancy term :wink: ). Since all letters are symbols of sounds to be made, I believe it would be correct to follow the source's pronounciation.

Therefore the pronouncation should follow the correct symbols.

My vote: Rachmaninov

I hope this made sense.

p.s. I disregarded anglicinizing (spelling? that is changing the word to fit the english language) because I think it is a bunch of bull crap. What dictates English as the absolute? We, native English speakers, need to reach out and learn more instead of having everything tailored to suit us. It's essentially being less lazy and more willing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 am 

Idk... I've always used "Rachmaninoff" but "Prokofiev". Mainly because, as stated, Rach himself spelled it "ff", but "Prokofieff" just looks weird and awkward... and Prokofiev looks cool, like me 8)

(pay no attention to this... I'm really tired right now for some reason :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:51 am 

One fact that cannot be discounted is that Rachmaninoff actually signed his name with the ff, not the v. Aside from my British friends who always insist on the v, who would want to go against Rachmaninoff's own signature? Also, I do not speak Russian, but someone more in the know once told me that the ff is a softer sound than the v when spoken. That might further explain the choice of spelling it that way.