Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: The young youtube virtuosos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:38 am 

During the last months I stumbled upon really amazing videos of young and very skilled pianists at youtube, and I've the feeling that they're getting more and more....
The first one who really astonished me was Jeffrey Lee(I think he posted a video of a competition where he played the poissons d'or from debussy to the old pianosociety site) But at youtube he has an admirable collection of other piece like the balakirev islamey or the mephisto waltz, gaspard de la nuit or the famous scriabin etude.
Then a few weeks later I discovered videos of Kristian Cvetkovic, another even younger pianist who demonstrate his high abilities at youtube. I think he's only 15, that's crazy.
The next one I found was an 11 year old guy called Enzo. His pieces are not as difficult as the mephisto waltz or the islamey, but with playing chopins fantasie impromptu and la Campanella I#m sure that he will reach the same skills.
Today I found videos of this 13 year old korean girl, and the videos from her first concert are just crazy, you must have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rladmscjf8439
I think if you really search after them you could name a lot of pianists like them and I'm asking myself if really famous pianists like Horowitz, Gould, Volodos or famous composers (and of course pianists) like rachmaninoff, Debussy or Liszt have been that good in their age?
Just tell me your opinion about those pianists....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:05 pm 

There is talent posted on Youtube. Have you ever heard of Cambry? Sure he isn't that young, but he is still pretty damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PianoPlaya123

enjoy. and thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 pm 

Yes, I already saw this guy, I like his playing because it goes nicely with his smooth clothes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:29 pm 

Oh for God's sake!!! The Islamey is untenable. Really awful. (and I don't usually use language like that while describing someone else's playing)

If I was the girl's teacher I'd recommend something technically easier and more musically profound.

Also I'd remove the damping pedal! :lol:
She's brave, anyway. That's commendable. Now all she needs is-a some a-disciprine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:43 am 

PJF wrote:
Oh for God's sake!!! The Islamey is untenable. Really awful. (and I don't usually use language like that while describing someone else's playing)

If I was the girl's teacher I'd recommend something technically easier and more musically profound.

Also I'd remove the damping pedal! :lol:
She's brave, anyway. That's commendable. Now all she needs is-a some a-disciprine.

Well, I think most of the problem here was the pedal, the sound of the piano, and the recording quality. But yeah, I agree....it was horrible. I couldn't listen to much of it - just a wash of noise for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:15 am 

Horrible....hm ok here you see how easily amateurs like me can get impressed :lol: Did you watch the videos where she plays the pieces on the grand piano or those one where she plays on the upright? I don't know much about those pieces because they're totally over my own abilities but I think the concert videos are not that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 am 
Site Admin

For sure, today's whiz kids, especially the Asian ones, will play anything at all to show off their prodigy. Whether that actually produces music, is another matter. Apart from the bad sound, that Islamey is a right proper mess in places, and has nothing much in the way of musicality (not sure how much musicality one can expect from a 13-year old). How right was Schumann to say it is much better to play a simple piece well than a difficult piece badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:20 am 

Casper89 wrote:
Horrible....hm ok here you see how easily amateurs like me can get impressed :lol: Did you watch the videos where she plays the pieces on the grand piano or those one where she plays on the upright? I don't know much about those pieces because they're totally over my own abilities but I think the concert videos are not that bad.

We were talking specifically about the Islamey (her featured video), which was on the upright. That's the only one I watched - my connection is slow so I don't really have time to watch much more.
techneut wrote:
Apart from the bad sound, that Islamey is a right proper mess in places

How can you tell with all that muddiness? :lol: If I were her teacher, though (she says she doesn't have a teacher, which would explain a lot) I would concentrate above all on getting her to cut down on that pedal. Whatever other mistakes she made have to be trivial in comparison to that. But like I said before, I couldn't make myself listen to much of it - I don't enjoy listening to noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:43 pm 

Casper89 wrote:

The intro to the Islamey was really good...too bad she couldn't s-l-o-w.....d-o-w-n.

I'm afraid to watch the other videos, but I'll give 'em the old college try. :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:52 am 

Last edited by Nicole on Tue May 20, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:48 am 

I wish I had a teacher like that. :roll: Care to for another student? Except this one is about 500 miles away :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:52 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
Care for another student?

That depends. In addition to playing with metronome sometimes, are you willing to count out loud if and when required for new rhythms? If no, the punishment here has become that if you give any attitude about counting 1+2+3+4+ out loud in English when requested, then you must instead do it in German. "Eins und Zwei und Drei und Fier und!".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:13 pm 

Nicole wrote:
juufa72 wrote:

That depends. In addition to playing with metronome sometimes, are you willing to count out loud if and when required for new rhythms? If no, the punishment here has become that if you give any attitude about counting 1+2+3+4+ out loud in English when requested, then you must instead do it in German. "Eins und Zwei und Drei und Fier und!".

What about French? Un et deux et trois et quatre? Or Spanish? Uno y dos y tres y cuatro? :wink: Perhaps Polish would be better?

My teacher was never strict and cold. He was a nice guy who helped when I truly struggled, but most of the time he sat near me on the right side of the piano and commented a few times. I want someone with a meter stick and who is not hesitant to use it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm 

"fier" schreibt man mit "v" :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:04 pm 

Casper89 wrote:
"fier" schreibt man mit "v" :lol: 8)

At least she managed to place the "s" at the end of 1..."ein und zwei und drei und vier" ---"a and two and three and four" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:06 pm 

I recall submitting a link to Youtube in one the forum topics....it was of a small(er) girl playing an Impromptu by Reinhold (spelling? Mr. John Robson submitted a recording and it is under the "_Various" composers page).....too bad I can't find that damn link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:30 am 
Quote:
I recall submitting a link to Youtube in one the forum topics....it was of a small(er) girl playing an Impromptu by Reinhold (spelling? Mr. John Robson submitted a recording and it is under the "_Various" composers page).....too bad I can't find that damn link.

Juufa, maybe this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt_PYw0R_i8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 am 

yes that's the one. it's a good performance considering how young she is and how small her hands are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 am 

This is not Youtube, but the kid is nothing short of talented:

http://rickjonespianos.com/grands.htm

then scroll down just a little bit and click on the very first picture of the 2001 Kawai (priced at 21,000)

enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:54 pm 

Ok, now this is disturbing! A 4 year old boy playing Bach's Partita in C-minor (by memory)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97SwPQe ... ed&search=

EDIT:

As the title suggests, he is a true master in the making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZPxzJyIi-U&NR=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:08 am 

juufa72 wrote:
Nicole wrote:
juufa72 wrote:

What about French? Un et deux et trois et quatre? Or Spanish? Uno y dos y tres y cuatro? :wink: Perhaps Polish would be better?

My teacher was never strict and cold. He was a nice guy who helped when I truly struggled, but most of the time he sat near me on the right side of the piano and commented a few times. I want someone with a meter stick and who is not hesitant to use it!

I prefer Japanese, ichi, ni... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:25 am 

san, shi, go, lok, shichi, hachi, kyu, ju!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:41 pm 

Oh, don't say "shi" for 4, it's bad form. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:17 pm 

wow more concern over the Japanese alphabet, than a child prodigy. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:33 pm 

PJF wrote:
Oh, don't say "shi" for 4, it's bad form. :lol:

I say "shi" for the single digit 4 and "yon" for the 40's and such. (Like, 44 would be yon ju shi.) That's how it was taught to me by a friend of mine from Tokyo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:57 pm 

Also on youtube is a series called "Imagine... Being a Concert Pianist"
a really amazing look into the world of these great masters.
It focuses on an 11 year old kid named Benjamin Grosvenor.
His musicality is unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm 

Also on youtube is a series called "Imagine... Being a Concert Pianist"
a really amazing look into the world of these great masters.
It focuses on an 11 year old kid named Benjamin Grosvenor.
His musicality is unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:18 pm 

I watched the video of that 13 yr old korean girl playing chopin etude op.10 no.4. Her fingers are like sticks and they look horrible.

you want a real child prodigy, take a look at the videos of this little japanese girl Ami Kobayashi.
She is so young but plays with so much expression etc. http://www.youtube.com/user/klingsor93

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:27 pm 

amelialw wrote:

you want a real child prodigy, take a look at the videos of this little japanese girl Ami Kobayashi.
She is so young but plays with so much expression etc. http://www.youtube.com/user/klingsor93

Holy crap!!!

She's one in a billion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

I quit!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:57 pm 

just because of those videos you can't give up that easily.

I may sound nuts, but I don't get affected by all these videos, in fact I end up working alot harder then usual. It does'nt make me feel deppressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:22 pm 

Oh geez ... that little girl is sick! so much expression .. insane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

And next to all the expression, a totally mature and immaculate performance. Amazing how sonorous a sound she produces. Yundi Li had better watch his back. Such staggering talent makes me wonder why us plodding amateurs are even bothering....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 pm 

her facial expressions remind me of Lang Lang....how sad there must be a common training method for all the Asian pianists--"silly facial expressions sell!" :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

And there's a video of her performing as a 3-year old... She can barely reach halfway the pedals. Not sure if this a miracle of a freak of nature :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:08 pm 

Yeah really astonishing those kids, but I don't want to have their childhood.......but I've to admit that I enjoy to watch how they put every week new videos on youtube and how their technique develops. Enzo and JE Kim are my favorite of those young pianists....I always wonder how on earth they can record almost each week a new technical difficult work......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
her facial expressions remind me of Lang Lang....how sad there must be a common training method for all the Asian pianists--"silly facial expressions sell!" :?

I don't think that you realise that those are natural facial expressions, it's her own way of expressing the music.

In general, all asians, how can you say we are trained to do that. We are not, those expressions are natural, even with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I quit!

Fortunately, 99.999% of pianists would probably have shared the sentiment.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:38 pm 

amelialw wrote:
juufa72 wrote:

I don't think that you realise that those are natural facial expressions, it's her own way of expressing the music.

In general, all asians, how can you say we are trained to do that. We are not, those expressions are natural, even with me.

Indeed, the facial expressions of (I don't mean to sound in any way racist) of Asians are especially intense. I'm curious, are there cultural inspirations to these stereotypically intense emotive facial mannerisms? I rather like Lang Lang's convulsions; it's as though he were a child filled with wonderment, discovering each sound anew.

I hope someone could elucidate.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:30 pm 

for me, nothing, no one, affects the expression on my face. It just comes naturally when i am 100% focused on the music. Actually I never knew till I saw a few photos people took of me when I was playing the piano and my piano teacher told me that.

My teacher said there is nothing wrong, in fact she enjoys my playing more when I drift off even if I make weird facial expressions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:25 am 

amelialw wrote:
for me, nothing, no one, affects the expression on my face. It just comes naturally when i am 100% focused on the music. Actually I never knew till I saw a few photos people took of me when I was playing the piano and my piano teacher told me that.

My teacher said there is nothing wrong, in fact she enjoys my playing more when I drift off even if I make weird facial expressions.

The same for me, nothing consciously enters my mind to affect my mannerisms (or lack thereof). It could be our mirror neurons talking. We imitate our peers whether we like it or not.

Of course, facial expressions or other quirks should never be a source of self-consciousness or stress, as they are quite helpful in focusing a pianist's energy. Somehow, a grimace can contain what would otherwise be an extraneous motion of the playing mechanism. Indeed, the sound is what matters.

Pete

P.S. What's your name again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:36 am 

Amelia!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:56 am 

Terez wrote:
Amelia!

yes?? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:07 am 

hehe...see? Her name is Amelia. :) I had a great-great-aunt named Amelia. We called her Aunt Melo...

Amelia, if you want your quote tags to work properly, you have to disable HTML, either in your profile or in the check boxes at the bottom of each post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:20 am 

Terez wrote:
hehe...see? Her name is Amelia. :) I had a great-great-aunt named Amelia. We called her Aunt Melo...

Amelia, if you want your quote tags to work properly, you have to disable HTML, either in your profile or in the check boxes at the bottom of each post.

haha...alright thanks!
yeah, every so often when i go for an exam or go to a music shop, people will ask what my name is. When I tell them, they always go aww...that's such a sweet name. My aunt/ grandaunt etc. has the same name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:04 am 

amelialw wrote:
Terez wrote:

yeah, every so often when i go for an exam or go to a music shop, people will ask what my name is. When I tell them, they always go aww...that's such a sweet name. My aunt/ grandaunt etc. has the same name.

:lol: I believe it - some names just get generational implications, and Amelia is one of those. It goes in the same category as Gertrude, Mildred, Henrietta, and quite a few others.

I think Amelia is prettier than the others, though - the camellia is a very common flower where I live, and one of my favorites. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:20 am 

Terez wrote:
amelialw wrote:
Terez wrote:

:lol: I believe it - some names just get generational implications, and Amelia is one of those. It goes in the same category as Gertrude, Mildred, Henrietta, and quite a few others.

I think Amelia is prettier than the others, though - the camellia is a very common flower where I live, and one of my favorites. ;)

thank you, you're so sweet.

btw I think we are going wayy of topic here :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:47 am 

Well, the original topic ranges from depressing to annoying, so the diversion was enjoyable. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:15 pm 

Watch this young man and his vids, incredible, I'm not sure if he has done something else than playing the piano in his life.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzZDdhQSnk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:19 pm 

I bet he has, cause there's a violin under the piano. :lol: Or maybe it's a viola....