Discuss all aspects of composing, upload compositions, and discuss uploaded compositions.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

John Robson

Postby John Robson » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm definitely NOT a composer though I yearn to be. I would love to create something beautiful of my own rather than always having to resort to playing other people's works. However, it was not in the cards for me. I recently ran across this little "Postlude" that I did while I was in high school. I like the descending bass line. It's very simple and admittedly not very creative. But I'm sharing it with you any way.

Site Admin

Postby pianolady » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi John,
Your getting pretty brave, here. Just like poetry, putting up a composition is truly opening up yourself.

I think this is a very pretty piece. It could be in a love story movie - one with a bitter-sweet ending like one I recently watched. Also, it sort of reminds me of Henry Mancini.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos:
my personal website:

Postby MindenBlues » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:13 pm

John, I like it much! Envites to dream! Unfortunately, the dream ended so short. Could go longer. Nice harmonies, combined with beautiful keytouch, very lyrical. It's poetry, I agree with Monica.

Thanks much for sharing!

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Very pleasant indeed ! And too short as Olaf says, it could have been elaborated a bit on (though one must be careful not to let a theme outstay its welcome, which luckily you did not do). Very well performed too. For someone who is 'not a composer' you did a nice job.

One little niggle... repeating the theme an octave higher seems like a terrible cliche to me. You hear that all the time in virtuoso violine music by Paganini, Sarasate, etc. and in cross-over piano repertoire. Maybe it's just me being allergic to it.
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Postby r590 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:58 am

Very nice! But a bit too short. I find most of my non-musical friends can't even identify when something is repeated an octave higher... they just remember the theme again. So I'd say its not a bad approach.

Return to “Composing”