Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Your hands
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

I know we've talked about how big or how small our hands are, but I'm interested to know your exact hand size. If you put your palm up and flatten your hand, you can with a ruler measure from the very first crease where your hand meets the wrist and then go up to the tip of the third finger. My hand measures 16 centimeters.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 pm 

My hands measures ~18.9 centimeters however my 5th finger is somewhat disproportionate to the other four fingers. :x :x

my LH can stretch from the left edge of the left shift button to the period button, I can stretch to the question mark button however the period button would also be depressed.

my RH can stretch from the right edge of the right shift button to the "X" button with ease the "Z" button is a stretch but like the LH, the button before it would also be depressed.

I have small hands, and quoting the comic duo in "Rachmaninov had large hands", "I have small hands, but only hands small" :lol: that video was hilarious. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm 

My hands are each 23.6cm long and have spans of 25cm(LH) and 24cm(RH). My right hand has a lesser span because of an injury at age two. (I tripped and landed my hand on a metal spike. It went straight through.)

From wrist to thumb is 16.0cm. Wrist to index finger is 21.0cm. Wrist to fourth finger is also 21.0cm. Wrist to pinkie is 18.5cm. In each hand, the measurements from wrist to fingertips are the same.

Okay, here's some overkill; the volume of my LH is 410cc as is the volume of my right hand! (That's news to me) I guess my hands are symmetrical.

You know what they say about men who have large hands....

they wear big gloves. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
(I tripped and landed my hand on a metal spike. It went straight through.)
Eeeewwwwww!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:08 am 

From wrist to middle fingertip, 17.5 cm; span is 20.5 cm (both hands).

Overkill: The span from my thumb to my 4th finger is also 20.5 cm; thumb to middle 19.5, and thumb to forefinger 16.5.

Serious overkill: The span from my 4th finger to my fifth is 6.5 cm; 3rd to 4th 7.0; 2nd to 3rd 10.0. 2nd to 4th, 12 cm; 2nd to 5th 15.5; 3rd to 5th 12.0. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:22 am 

From wrist to middle fingertip: 20.5 cm

Monica, I guess that Chopin did not have had larger hands than you (hope that makes you happy). I have seen the gypsum print of his left hand in Paris, Musee de la vie romantique. Small hand, very thin fingers. At least in comparision with my paws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Monica, I guess that Chopin did not have had larger hands than you (hope that makes you happy).

Not exactly. Now I can't use that excuse anymore. :x :lol:

Quote:
I have seen the gypsum print of his left hand in Paris, Musee de la vie romantique

can you go back there and measure his hand for me? (kidding - sort of)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Quote:
(I tripped and landed my hand on a metal spike. It went straight through.)
Eeeewwwwww!

Strangely enough, there was no pain. Lots of gushing blood (and a bit of sinew) but no pain. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Lots of gushing blood (and a bit of sinew)

double eeeewww! :arrow: (never used this arrow thingy before. What's it for, anyway?)

Still looking for the exact size of Chopin's hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:50 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
From wrist to middle fingertip: 20.5 cm

Exactly the same as mine :!: You always say you have large paws Olaf, and I always thought mine were smaller than average. Wot ho :?
Span is 22cm. Guess it's large enough after all. Nobody beats PJF's outsize claws though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:17 am 

I can definitely see why he has more trouble with Chopin's 10/2 etude, though (I have always thought that was one of the easier etudes). Big fingers would definitely be a hindrance for stuff like that.

I bet he could play a mean sonata #2, though (I'm thinking of the first movement, especially). :) I don't think I'll ever be able to do that one justice...

Post subject: Pobrcito
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:22 pm 

Both hands from the wrist line to the end of the middle finger are only 18.5.:( Monica, seems to be the only one smaller. I can stretch to a tenth on the keyboard, but I can't play consecutive 10ths unless they include 9ths. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:57 am 

techneut wrote:
Exactly the same as mine :!: You always say you have large paws Olaf, and I always thought mine were smaller than average. Wot ho :?
Span is 22cm. Guess it's large enough after all. Nobody beats PJF's outsize claws though :lol:

Yes, nobody beats PJF's tentacles :lol:

And up to now I really thought to have large paws, but it seems pretty normal. The span is however larger as with Chris, about 24cm from thumb to pinky tip. So I can easily take a tenth also for consecutive playing, with or without some other notes in between. An 11th only with pain. A ninth I can take with thumb and every other finger, e.g thumb and index finger. For my span, I do stretch my fingers from time to time, as I think it is the same mechanism athletes do, after or before jogging to stretch the muscles and sinews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:46 am 

I can stretch about 11th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:53 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bit peeved by Olaf having the same hand length but a larger span. However with a bit of effort I can just get up to 23 cm which I guess is not bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:42 am 

techneut wrote:
I'm a bit peeved by Olaf having the same hand length but a larger span. However with a bit of effort I can just get up to 23 cm which I guess is not bad.

From what I have seen in your picture, the difference is explainable. It seems that I can stretch my pinky more so that the pinky and thumb are almost in one line instead beeing in a angle (so more towards 180 degree instead 150). If you would raise your hand wrist instead putting flat on the ruler, maybe you could stretch your pinky also more (that should give at least some millimeters more - not that this is of any importance however ... :D )?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Nah.. tried that.. didn't help....
I think I'll have a smaller keyboard custom built, like Josef Hofmann did :lol:

Post subject: Re: Pobrcito
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:06 am 
> Both hands from the wrist line to the end of the middle finger are only 18.5.:( Monica, seems to be the only one smaller.

No. 17.8 cm for my small hands. But 21.7 cm from 1st to 5th finger (extended, of course, but
not considering my 10 ch blue nail at 5th finger). :x apart for the nail, the measures are correct.

All best,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:22 am 

techneut wrote:
I think I'll have a smaller keyboard custom built, like Josef Hofmann did :lol:

You have - someone told me that organ keyboards are slightly, very slightly, smaller. Did not measure myself however.
But why on earth do you think you need a larger hand span? At least for Chopin I have not seen anything larger to grip as a 10th with some notes in between (in nocturne 48/1 very often however). And after seeing his small hand as gypsum print, I really wonder how Chopin could grip that (but he could).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
But why on earth do you think you need a larger hand span?

I don't - I was only joking. I hardly play any Liszt anymore these days so it is not a big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm 

I am impressed with all your hand spans, so as Chris"span pictures",
I just measured mine. Both lh and right are 99% the same.

From wrist to end of middle finger= 18.5 cm

4th and fifth stretch = 21.5 cm.

width of plam = index to pinky=8.5cm.

So far, this is what I called a small pair hands??? what you think?

Post subject: Re: Pobrcito
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:23 am 

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
> Both hands from the wrist line to the end of the middle finger are only 18.5.:( Monica, seems to be the only one smaller.

No. 17.8 cm for my small hands. But 21.7 cm from 1st to 5th finger (extended, of course, but
not considering my 10 ch blue nail at 5th finger). :x apart for the nail, the measures are correct.

All best,
Sandro

Your playing points out beautifully the fact that hand size has relatively little to do with pianistic facility. (you play good)

Hey I know what this arrow is for; it means to look this way. :arrow: :lol: (Is there one that points to the left :?:)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:25 pm 
I've got very small hands. :(

From wrist to middle fingertip is 16.2 cm, span is 19.7 cm

The span from my thumb to my 4th finger is 20.1 cm, thumb to middle 19.5 cm, and thumb to forefinger 17.8 cm.

The span from my 4th finger to my fifth is 7.6 cm, 3rd to 4th 7.7 cm, 2nd to 3rd 10.3 cm, 2nd to 4th 10.9 cm, 2nd to 5th 13.9 cm, 3rd to 5th 11.5 cm.

Width of palm is 1.7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47 pm 

abimopectore wrote:

Width of palm is 1.7.

So, you're a six month fetus? :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Oh, Pete. You're bad! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:07 pm 

For me, wrist to findertip is about 20 cm in both hands. RH span is 24.5 cm and LH span is 25 cm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:11 pm 
waha :lol:
sorry, I mean 7.6 cm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:52 pm 

I've seen a lot if videos of classical pianists and I would have to say that Van Cliburn's hands are unbelievably large, followed by those of Michelangeli. Barenboim's and Gilels' seem to be about average. Arrau, for being very short supposedly had huge hands. He could stretch a 13th whereas I can barely make a 9th. One thing I have noticed about the really good pianists (I am NOT a really good pianist) is that they all have rather long pinkies compared to mine.

Regards,
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm 

bclever wrote:
I've seen a lot if videos of classical pianists and I would have to say that Van Cliburn's hands are unbelievably large, followed by those of Michelangeli. Barenboim's and Gilels' seem to be about average. Arrau, for being very short supposedly had huge hands. He could stretch a 13th whereas I can barely make a 9th. One thing I have noticed about the really good pianists (I am NOT a really good pianist) is that they all have rather long pinkies compared to mine.

Regards,
Brian

excellent observations, how about Mozart...and Chopin....and Ashkenazy....there hands are rather small than the above you mentioned. Hummmmm, I think....brian counts too..bigger :lol: :lol: the forehead, or longer ear lobs...the clever you gets :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:03 pm 

SMALL HANDS -

Wrist to fingertip - 17.5 cm

Full stretch (as picture above - 20 cm.

I can play useful 9ths, but never manage 10ths without a hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paradisi,

Your length to your middle finger is longer than mine but your thumb to fifth finger is the same. I also reach a 9th with no problem and cannot go to a 10th. However, I now have a bit of a problem in that I used to be able to put down octaves without even thinking about them. Meaning - my hand naturally 'remembered' how that stretch felt. But I've been playing a lot of music with 9ths the past few months and now my hand has 'forgotten' the feel of an octave. I'm making more mistakes because of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:10 pm 

use your 4th finger and thumb to play an octave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:50 am 
Site Admin

That's what I try to remember to do when going from white to black key octaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:19 am 

Hi Pianolady

I hardly ever do songs with lots of 9ths, once when doing a song with too many big stretches, my hand got a strange lump by the knuckle - doctor said it was nothing, but I've been leery of doing too BIG of a piece since then! (It did go away.)

Also - nice name! I tried to sign in with that as that's what I get called all the time (I play for our school's choirs - so when they see me elsewhere it's "YOU'RE THE PIANOLADY!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Paradisi wrote:
I hardly ever do songs with lots of 9ths, once when doing a song with too many big stretches, my hand got a strange lump by the knuckle - doctor said it was nothing, but I've been leery of doing too BIG of a piece since then! (It did go away.)

Oooh, that sounds bad! I know a woman piano teacher who developed a 'trigger finger'. I think that's what it is called. Her finger got stuck in a bent shape and she could not move or straighten it. She got a cortisone shot in the finger and then was able to move it, again. But still - things like that are scary.