Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: A Composition of Mine: Waltz in F Major
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:41 am 

Well, here is what I have so far of what I've plainly titled Waltz in F Major. Sorry I don't have a PDF file to go with it, as I don't know how to convert MUS files to PDFs. I'm also sorry about the lack of slurs, dynamics, and pedaling. Just use your imagination. Tell me what you think so far!! Keep in mind the way Finale plays the piece isn't how I think it should be played (not enough rubato and other stuff).

EDIT: I have now added a few more measures.

2nd EDIT: Once again, I have added several more measures and also have completely redone the measure at 1:31.

3rd EDIT: I have at last finished the piece!!! I woke up today knowing I had to finally finish it. Again, sorry that Finale 2007 doesn't really play the piece that well. It doesn't always follow my dynamics and expressions I put in, but I'm pretty satisfied considering it's a machine. I hope you all enjoy this (remember, I started it in January and I'm 14 years old)!!!

Last edited by chopinman0901 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:30 pm 

Hi!

Well, it's been a while since I visited but I enjoyed what your have here. You use interested progressions and chords. Very nice. When you have it all finalized it would be nice to hear a recording of you playing it :)

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:49 am 

Thank you for those comments. I really appreciate that you took the time to listen to my piece. I never really thought of my chord progressions as interesting, but I'm glad to hear someone does. My piano teacher said so far it kind of reminds her of Debussy or Faure, but I have no idea how.

Hopefully I'll finish the piece soon. I'm aiming for about three minutes in length. Sorry for being such a slow composer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:08 pm 

Sorry for the double post, but I just want everyone to know I've finished the piece and the MP3 file is at the top of the page. Also sorry for being so excited and making the title in all caps :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:35 pm 

IMO this is a very nice composition but......why you don't make a recording of your own playing? listening to this midi is a little bit boring.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:48 pm 

Well, if I do record it myself, it would also be a MIDI (I have a Yamaha Clavinova). I don't have a microphone, and even if I did, my acoustic piano sucks. I'll try though. I guess I'd be able to put more nuances into the piece while I'm playing it. I still haven't played the whole thing through, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I too agree that it is a rather good waltz but the midi makes no justice for it. I have very hard trying to listen to midi renditions as it feels so inhuman. It would make a great difference if you played it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:11 pm 

Ok, I finally was able to convert the MUS file to a PDF, but somehow it reversed the page order. Anyone have any idea how to reorder the pages?

I also fiddled with the settings in Finale so now it sounds a little more like a real piano, but I could only make it a really big WAV file for some reason. There might be too much reverb too...

I'll try to get a recording of myself playing it as soon as I can (which will probably be in a year :wink: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Nice piece of work, full of interesting harmonic twists. The second version indeed sounds less obviously midi-like, if still not very nice to listen to. We can not put it on the site until you (or perhaps somebody else) provides a real recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:20 am 

Great piece! I really like it. Rock on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:23 am 

No one probably cares, but I finally figured out how to make this a PDF with the pages in the proper order. I also added a lot of new... I can't remember the word for it... but it's things like cantabile and appassionato and pedale ad libitum. They aren't dynamics, and I can't think of what they're called; this will bug me for a while...

Anyway, so here's the "revised" score in the correct page order. I'm also pretty happy because I'm sending it to the copyright office tomorrow!

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin