Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: A Follow up Assessment on Acoustic Piano Recording
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:12 am 

This is another recording of the same piece. In the file (STE-000.mp3) I had the same microphone gain as my previous post, of medium level, but I used less pedal.

In the file (STE-001.mp3) I first had the top lid of the piano down, with a microphone gain of low level, but using more pedal. I then stopped and repeated the same seven or eight bars with the top lid up a little with a microphone gain of low level and still using more pedal.

Out of all this I think I liked the sound of the file (STE-000.mp3) using the microphone gain of medium level but using less pedal. This file I think, sounded marginally better than the (STE-001.mp3) file.

Also with the file (STE-001.mp3) I don't get as loud a volume because the microphone gain is set at a low level.

I took the clock out of the room, and am fairly sure I also turned the computer off when I recorded the 000.mp3 file, but may have omitted to turn the computer off when I recorded the 001.mp3 file.

I would be pleased to have your comments.

Attachments:
STE-001.mp3 [1.18 MiB]
Downloaded 149 times
STE-000.mp3 [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 160 times

Post subject: Re: A Follow up Assessment on Acoustic Piano Recording
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:27 am 
Site Admin

Hello, again!
I listened to the .001 file. Is that right? I was a little confused... Anyway, this .001 file sounds nice. There is no clock ticking, no other background noises, and the volume and hiss level are good. Also, your piano sounds better. Did you just get it tuned? Except there is a buzzing sound on your high E on the treble clef (the second E above middle C). Maybe your piano technician can fix that? Otherwise, we would be willing to accept recordings with this sound quality. Now all you have to do is play decently.... :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:49 am 

Thanks for your comments. I never thought I would be that good. I haven't had the piano tuned, but the tuner is coming fairly soon. In future I will name the files so that the file names are more in English rather than having .001 and .000 etc, to take the confusion out of the name of the file.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Soundwise I do not hear so much difference. All variants would be good enough for the site. This is a nice sounding piano.
My preference here is for no.000 with the reduced pedal. You start out fine but gradually you fall into the pedal trap again. You need to be very careful about that especially when playing Bach. I'm not purist about pedaling in Bach, especially not in this prelude, but but needs to be done very judiciously so as not to leave smudges.