Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Gerhart -- Ned's Theme
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 pm 

Well, I'm probably not going to get this any better than it is, sadly, with my PSR-2100, bad recording equipment (but the main problem, no sus. pedal) Nevertheless, I greatly enjoyed learning this piece and it is the first one I have learned from my brand new copy of Studies in Song. Perhaps Chris can give me some feedback, because he is probably the only other person on this forum who has this music. Ned writes that this piece he uses to try and fool people into thinking that he is a pianist! The main problem of this piece is the huge stretch somewhere after the middle of the piece. Otherwise not too hard, here is a video recording. Sorry for the extraneous noises throughout. My next door neighbor was playing ringtoss in their backyard.. :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su7h6NerOA0&feature=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: Gerhart -- Ned's Theme
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Geez Riley, doesn't that swaying keyboard drive you insane ? Is there no way to secure it so it doesn't more around so much ?
Hmmm, no sustain pedal. I though it sounded a bit dry and detached.

You do a good job but I disagree with the 'can't get this any better' sentiment (even though I know I've sometimes said the same). You can always get it better, at least when you'vejust learned a piece. This one sounds too new, too carefully going through the notes. It needs a bit of abandon, an easy swing rather than a studied swing. That will come with more familiarity. Let this mature and get back to
it in a month or so. It will be much better.

I have not played this one, it's a cute little piece as most of these are (though I find some a bit bland). That 10th stretch is awkward
if your hand is too small and you can't use pedal to hold (some of) the low F. You could try taking the A with the RH but that is also a 10th, with notes in between so this probably makes it harder rather than easier.

Can't you record this on a real piano ? It would be nice to have some more of these on the site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 am 

Yeah the swaying keyboard is no fun ☹. There's something wrong with the stand, it was bought on the internet so you always take a gamble with 2nd hand equipment.

Yes I should probably take Monica's method and wait at least a week before making a recording. You're right, I just learned this, I guess it shows.

Wish I could get my hands on a real piano. I keep looking at the Rick James piano videos on YouTube wishing I could own one of these instruments, but now my budget doesn't allow for it. I'm learning the music box now. It's a much more accessible piece than the Hamelin Music Box which I still have to learn and record someday.

Also Andreas wants me to record his entire Sonata. I should probably make that my next project :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Yeah the swaying keyboard is no fun ☹. There's something wrong with the stand, it was bought on the internet so you always take a gamble with 2nd hand equipment.
I'd invest in a roll of duct tape and fix it up :!: From the look of it, the thing weighs next to nothing. Cool sunglasses, BTW 8)

pianoman342 wrote:
It's a much more accessible piece than the Hamelin Music Box which I still have to learn and record someday.
That one is cute. It's still on my list to complete Con Intissimi Sentimento some day.

pianoman342 wrote:
Also Andreas wants me to record his entire Sonata.
Does he now !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

I like the sunglasses too, Riley! 8) And look, the little smiley has them on as well! 8) :)

It's a nice piece. I like it. And yes, waiting a week really does do wonders.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 am 

Quote:
I'd invest in a roll of duct tape and fix it up :!: From the look of it, the thing weighs next to nothing. Cool sunglasses, BTW 8)

Duct tape, there's an idea! The stand is really janky, yes it weighs next to nothing, the piano, on the other hand is about 70 lbs, it's heavy for a 61 key keyboard. It even has a floppy disk port. Don't think I'll be making use of that! Thanks, I got the sunglasses at the local dollar store :)

Quote:
That one is cute. It's still on my list to complete Con Intissimi Sentimento some day.

It's probably the easiest of that set. I'd like to try the Lander waltzes someday too.

Quote:
Does he now !

Yes, but I've changed my mind, I don't want to work it up now, as I'd just be playing it on this crap keyboard with no sustain pedal, I'd be better to wait until I've got better equipment.

Quote:
I like the sunglasses too, Riley! 8) And look, the little smiley has them on as well! 8) :)

It's a nice piece. I like it. And yes, waiting a week really does do wonders.

I thought I'd wear sunglasses because it seems to be a signature thing with the jazz masters for ex. Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder!

Well, in that case, I can record it next week, but its still gonna be incomplete because notes that should be sustained will be cut short :evil: