Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:09 pm 

Has anyone heard of her? She's not even 20 years old, and she's memorized many difficult pieces like La Valse and all of Chopin's 2nd and 3rd sonatas. I've actually met her through my piano teacher, and have seen her play twice. I know that she's played with many famous Philharmonic orchestras, and has been in feature articles in many newspapers and magazines. I would readily compare her to Rubinstein or Horowitz! So does anyone know who she is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:52 pm 
Yuja Wang is a 2006 Gilmore Young Artist, awarded non-competitively to exceptional American pianists age 21 and younger who demonstrate the talent and drive to become successful concert pianists. Gilmore Young Artists are selected every two years and are awarded a $15,000 grant to further his/her musical career and educational development.

Ms. Wang was born in Beijing and began studying piano in China at age 6. She has won several competitions and performs around the world in a variety of settings. She has attended the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia for the last four years.

I'm glad you—and others—are learning about and appreciating Ms. Wang!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:07 pm 
Here is Yuja's website, complete with bio, calendar, listening room, and galleries:

http://www.yujawang.com

(admin link fix)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:39 pm 

I'm glad to hear that some people have heard of her. Thanks for that website too, it's great! Right now I'm actually listening to her performance of my all-time favorite piece, La Valse!!

When I first heard her in concert she played Chopin's 3rd sonata, some Scarlatti, the Brahms ballades, Ravel's Jeau D'eaux (spelling?), and his La Valse. I'd actually never heard the piece before, but her performance of it instantly elevated it to my favorite piece of music.

I think I'm actually going to see another concert of her's soon (at least I hope). Last time I got to play during the dinner beforehand, so hopefully I'll get to again. The piano that I play on better not be as crappy as last time :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 pm 
Latest News about Yuja:

Pianist Martha Argerich has cancelled her appearances with the Boston Symphony Orchestra on four subscription concerts from this Thursday (March 8) to next Tuesday (March 13).

Replacing Argerich in Boston this week will be Yuja Wang, a graduate student at the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia and a 2006 recipient of the Gilmore Young Artist Award. She will perform Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1.

See:

http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/6110.html

http://www.yujawang.com