Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Sokolov
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 pm 

He played in the auditorium of my university yesterday with the following program:

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
Italienisches Konzert
(Concerto nach italienischem Gusto F-Dur BWV 971)

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
Ouverture nach französischer Art BWV 831

Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
Humoreske B-Dur op. 20 (1838-1839)

Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
4 Stücke op. 32 (1838-1839)

As you see, he chose two Bach from the Clavierübung II and two Schumann from the same periode. It was my third visit to his recital and I was enchanted again by his magic with tones/touches and his interpretations which appeal to the most general human feelings but are always very unique. He played many encores as usual (at this time 6 pieces) and I couldn't identify all of them. Among them there were two Chopin's preludes where he presented really original interpretations, as if you heard the pieces for the first time! I found on internet that his recital with Chopin's Preludes was released on CD. Is there anyone who has it? It could be my next CD purchase.
BTW I have observed at all the three time that the grand was tuned again in the break between the first and the second part and the light in the concert hall was really on the mininum so that I can hardly read the program. I wonder if they are the things he does every time :?:

Post subject: Re: Sokolov
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:00 am 

I love Sokolov's playing.I don't have the preludes, but I've got his recording of the Chopin op 25 Etudes coupled with the second sonata.This disc is available on a two disc set with the preludes on the other CD.I would definitely get the two disc set if you don't already have the other recordings.The sonata in particular is awesome.
What a tragedy he doesn't make more recordings.