Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Pride and Prejudice - new version
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

I just watched this move last night for the fifth time and love the piano music in it. I'm going to try to get it when I have time - it is published. If you see this movie coming around on your cable, have a listen. All the piano music is performed by...grrr...can't think of his name right now. He's young and Swedish I think.

Post subject: Re: Pride and Prejudice - new version
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:02 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I just watched this move last night for the fifth time and love the piano music in it. I'm going to try to get it when I have time - it is published. If you see this movie coming around on your cable, have a listen. All the piano music is performed by...grrr...can't think of his name right now. He's young and Swedish I think.

I rarely watch TV at all but I will ask my wife if she knowns about it and who the pianist might be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:56 pm 

It's Jean-Yves Thibaudet, music is by Dario Marianelli, who wrote the excellent score for "V for Vendetta" (my favorite movie of the century so far). I'll have to check this out, I enjoy movie music. A few years back a student played some of Patrick Doyle's pieces from another Jane Austen movie, "Emma" I think. She had an album of piano pieces/arrangements from the Jane Austen movies of the 90's, and that was in it. Can't remember the name of the album unfortunately.

This movie even has a credit for the piano tuner! ("piano preparation"). To find out these things the "Internet Movie Database" (IMDB) often has the answer, as in this case.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414387/fullcredits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Arensky. I guess you can't call Jean-Yves Thibaudet a Swede.
I love Jane Austin movies. I'm going to watch Emma again and listen to the music.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Arensky, I was on my way to a funeral with a bunch of relatives, and someone was talking about movies, and out of the blue, my nephew said that he likes the V for Vendetta movie too. So I rented it last night. Kind of intense. The music director (forgot his name) sure had a different approach in this movie. I guess he didn't have to compose all of the music as he used the 1812 and Stan Getz/Jobim music.

The story line reminded me of Phantom of the Opera, which I love. Phantom probably appeals to women and V more to men, I think. Anyway, it's fun to see which movies people like. It shines a little light on their personality.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:41 am 

pianolady wrote:
Arensky, I was on my way to a funeral with a bunch of relatives, and someone was talking about movies, and out of the blue, my nephew said that he likes the V for Vendetta movie too. So I rented it last night. Kind of intense. The music director (forgot his name) sure had a different approach in this movie. I guess he didn't have to compose all of the music as he used the 1812 and Stan Getz/Jobim music.

The story line reminded me of Phantom of the Opera, which I love. Phantom probably appeals to women and V more to men, I think. Anyway, it's fun to see which movies people like. It shines a little light on their personality.

Sorry about the funeral. That's never fun.

The music in "V" is definitely focused on the source music (music that occurs as part of the action) but there are some subtle touches you hardly notice (a sure sign of good scoring); the prison cell, the actress' flashback. A lot of what I call "piano death music", soft dissonant new agey chord writing. Of course what we remember are 1812 and the 50's cocktail jazz while he cooks breakfast...

It's very like the "Phantom". I think you're right, guys prefer a man of action like V to a keyboard playing recluse like the Phantom. It's just the way we are. :)