Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: classical music?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Everybody,
This goes along with the thread awhile back about the decline in classical music in today's world. But this is a different take on the subject, so hence, the new thread.

I have a chance to see this band in a couple weeks, and not knowing who or what they sound like, I clicked on their web site. Wow! You have to see this. Here is the link:

http://www.eastvillageoperacompany.com/video.aspx Click on the third picture down the row.

Maybe there are other groups doing things like this, but I really like this band's sound. And if this is what it takes to get younger people interested in classical music, then I think it's great. I hope this band continues to produce music like this for a long time.

You don't have to agree with me, but I am curious to hear your opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Is everybody here afraid to speak their minds? (I know that can't be true)
Come on, what do you think about classical music, opera specifically, being done in a rock band?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, allright then...
I'm probably just a snotty conservative old geezer but I think it's a load of crap. Is this the future and salvation of classical music ? What's next, Chopin Mazurkas on rock guitars ? Mwah.....

The female (Italian?) singer is quite pretty though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:56 pm 

TELL YOU THE TRUTHS... No operas for me either chinese or western....its not my taste. But the only time I would watch the opera is like what Chris has in mind....looking at the girls.....

opps, i forgot '''''''Sorry I am a married man. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What's next, Chopin Mazurkas on rock guitars ?

Now that I would probably not like. Although.... :?: :)

I know it's not easy to hear something you are so familiar with changed so drastically. Have you ever heard an opera singer sing pop? I hate it. But I still say I like this opera turned into rock music. I must be entering some kind of new phase in my life.

Quote:
Is this the future and salvation of classical music ?

Probably not, but I have heard people say that they don't like classical music, and these people are usually ignorant and can't even tell you their reasons why they think that. If they could hear the music in this way, it could 'accidentally' convert them into classical-lovers. People tend to like something when they've heard it before. Like when a certain tune starts to grow on you.

(p.s. There's nothing wrong with looking :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:32 pm 

.s. There's nothing wrong with looking )

Good one piano lady.
Unfortunatelly, 99% of opera I herad, is quite "unmotivated"....you know what I mean.
Its a bit like you ask me to listen to-heavy metallica stuff....its noisy and mind blowing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:35 am 

I'm having trouble downloading the clips.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:09 am 

They are very interesting and the music is well played and produced. But it's not opera or "classical" music anymore, it's it's own thing and on those terms it's fine. But I wouldn't call it classical. But if it gets people interested than more power to it.

What this reminded me of was something American swing bands went through in the 40's, big band versions of favorite classical themes. These usually just used the melody of a classical piece, such as Tommy Dorsey's renditions of "Song of India" and "Liebestraum" in swing rhythm but Glenn Miller's "Anvil Chorus" and Artie Shaw's "A Deserted Farm" faithfully recreate the melody, harmonic voice leading and character of the original pieces, albeit with a jazz beat and in big band format. Those were more sucsessful in my opinion, because the 1940's were closer to the 19th century musical styles. I don't know, "Donna e Mobile" starts like a Bollywood soundtrack, then shifts into Steppenwolf; very little of the original is left, except for the melody. That's fine, but you can't really call it Verdi or Rigoletto anymore.

Heh, they are in Tuscon in 3 days; but it's too far ( 3 and half hours) and I must practice.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:21 am 

[quote="techneut"]
I'm probably just a snotty conservative old geezer

Piano Society's RONALD REAGAN!!!!! Go Ronnie!!!! :D 8)

Is this the future and salvation of classical music ?

of course not....

What's next, Chopin Mazurkas on rock guitars ? Mwah.....

Yngie Malmstein already plays the Paganini Caprices and other virtuoso violin works in heavy metal style, and quite effectively. I don't care for it, but....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:33 am 

This is creating a furor (mostly negative) on another piano forum. I don't get what the big deal is, in fact I kind of like it!

Guys, feast your eyes.... :shock: 8)

And at least listen to "Toccata", this is very much on topic and warrants some discussion imo.

http://www.myleeneklass.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:21 am 

Oh buh-ruth-er! :roll:

Fluffy pop nonsense. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Easy on the eyes? Yea.
Classical? Nay.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Fluffy pop nonsense.

I like that one :lol: A refreshing change from my standard "mindless poppy drivel".

Quote:
Easy on the eyes? Yea.

Looks like one that should be in Atomic Kitten or any one of these countless girlie groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:16 pm 

techneut wrote:
Looks like one that should be in Atomic Kitten or any one of these countless girlie groups.

We do not have Atomic Kitten in the US so I just googled them. Content free. But when you give Bach the content free treatment, the content survives. Proof of the superiority of good music, no matter how you dress it up.

Of course it's best to leave it in it's original clothes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:23 pm 

[quote="PJF"]Classical? Nay.

Exactly. This was the problem on the other forum, people were moaning about "poor Bach" and "the death of classical music" until someone pointed out that it is no longer classical music, so what's the big deal? This same poster's problem with Ms. Klass was that this was marketed as legitimate clasical music, which it is not. But it can be enjoyed on it's own for what it is; fuffy pop nonsense.