Biography for Wilhelm Stenhammar

General discussions, error reporting, and feature requests.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Biography for Wilhelm Stenhammar

Postby StuKautsch » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi. I've been meaning to do this for a few months as a way of expanding my participation between recordings (i.e., between tunings!) I used five sources and took pains to not plagiarize.

Wilhelm Stenhammar (1871-1927)
Although a pianist by training and by trade, Stenhammar composed in many different genres, including string quartet and song. In fact, his vocal compositions are so highly regarded in Scandinavia that the Wilhelm Stenhammar International Music Competition – a singing competition – requires a song by him to be presented by each vocalist.
He was brought up in a musical home in Stockholm and had several piano teachers. (He took a conservatory degree in organ, having trained in that also.) He eventually gave over 1000 concerts in Sweden alone. He was also very active as a chamber musician, and eventually wrote six highly regarded string quartets.
Largely self-taught as a conductor, Stenhammar nevertheless became one of the important conductors in Sweden around the turn of the 20th century, including the post as music director of the Gothenburg Orchestral Society from 1907 to 1923.
Unfortunately, he left us only a few works for solo piano before his death in 1927 in Gothenburg.
stu kautsch

Site Admin

Re: Biography for Wilhelm Stenhammar

Postby pianolady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 am

Thank you for the bio, Stewart. I've added it to the main site.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos:
my personal website:

Site Admin

Re: Biography for Wilhelm Stenhammar

Postby techneut » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks Stu, much appreciated.
StuKautsch wrote: between recordings (i.e., between tunings!)

Hehe, I recognize that. Every time I'm ready for recordings, I find I have to wait for the next tuning :x
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Return to “General”